UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Michigan public land coonhunters...i have a question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluetickjake
UKC Forum Member

Michigan public land coonhunters...i have a question

I live down in Buckley,, mi. around the house here there is a lot of state forest land. Mixed in with that seems to be lots of private land. A lot of the boundries seem to be marked by red paint on the trees. My question is this. okay there is a red line around the trees and then a red dot on one side of the tree. what side is private and what side is public? the dot side private and other side public or the other way around? thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-26-2011 12:50 AM
bluetickjake is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetickjake Click here to Send bluetickjake a Private Message Find more posts by bluetickjake Add bluetickjake to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I hunt a bunch of state land in central and northern Michigan, and I have never seen what you describe.

Go onto the MI DNR site each state land area has maps and other information. You should be able to find out who the manager is for the state land that you are interested in and get the correct answer.

Good luck.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-26-2011 02:34 AM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T.Beyer
UKC Forum Member

I hunt a ton of State land also. I wonder if what you are seeing is markings from a logging company marking trees to be dropped. I have never seen the property lines marked any other way than the placards or fiberglass flex signs.

In Honor of Jim Sizemore, " This ain't no benchshow!"

Old Post 07-26-2011 03:00 AM
T.Beyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T.Beyer Click here to Send T.Beyer a Private Message Click Here to Email T.Beyer Find more posts by T.Beyer Add T.Beyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetickjake
UKC Forum Member

huh

These trees that are marked seem to deffinatley be property lines becasue there is a dnr survey marker next to most of them. I know the reggular ole orange tree cutters marks but these seem to be property lines because they are in a line and only at the edge of the road. I could be wrong and ill call the local dnr tomarrow. But for tonight ill just try and stay away from any marked trees when i turn loose. this will be the first turn out of my dog in michigan hope he does good i havent hunted him since i moved from mississippi back in the first of june.

Old Post 07-26-2011 03:05 AM
bluetickjake is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetickjake Click here to Send bluetickjake a Private Message Find more posts by bluetickjake Add bluetickjake to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davidlloyd
UKC Forum Member

yeah ive never seen this before keep us posted

Old Post 07-26-2011 03:13 AM
davidlloyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davidlloyd Click here to Send davidlloyd a Private Message Click Here to Email davidlloyd Find more posts by davidlloyd Add davidlloyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like a survey of some kind but I've never seen paint used in Mi. like a no hunting sign.
I saw something similar in Arkansas , think it was purple if I remember right.

Old Post 07-26-2011 03:33 AM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
michigancooner
UKC Forum Member

My family owns land in central Michigan and it is bordered by state land on three sides with the road running along the fourth side. We had the land surveyed to try and accurately judge where the property lines run through and they marked trees with blue paint to show the boundaries. No dots on the trees though, just a horizontal blue line. So what you are seeing COULD be property lines, but I would find out for sure. Get a plat book also to show you exactley what's where.

Old Post 07-26-2011 03:58 AM
michigancooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for michigancooner Click here to Send michigancooner a Private Message Click Here to Email michigancooner Find more posts by michigancooner Add michigancooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Try this:

Pere Marquette State Game Area in Mason County
Contact: Northwestern Management Unit Office, 8015 Mackinaw Trail, Cadillac, MI 49601; phone (231) 775-9727
No detailed unit map available at this time.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-26-2011 03:21 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Casey
UKC Forum Member

I have a map overlay with the boundary lines. It was generated using the public land ownership information supplied by the state of Michigan.

I just looked at the Pere Marquette State Game Area on my map and man it is chopped up aint it.

Last edited by Casey on 07-26-2011 at 03:57 PM

Old Post 07-26-2011 03:26 PM
Casey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Casey Click here to Send Casey a Private Message Visit Casey's homepage! Find more posts by Casey Add Casey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote