UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Naturally Straight vs Trashy
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Naturally Straight vs Trashy

From what I've noticed in my few short years chasing these dogs is, that it seems trash running dogs seem to have more drive and hunt faster than the naturally straight dogs. Might just be the ones I've seen. What's your opinions on it?

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-22-2019 03:31 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Trashy dogs lack brains....jmo

Old Post 01-22-2019 03:33 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

X2. Trash running is not going to earn them a long stay here. It stops fast or they move on. I am to old to be walking around in the woods to a dog that trashes regular.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 01-22-2019 03:41 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

dogs

Is there really a naturally straight or naturally trashy bloodline or is it the circumstance and the hunters that train them? I'm not being sarcastic I have been forunate to have had one deer chase in last 20 years and that was a young pup who chased for 20 yards. JMO

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 01-22-2019 04:16 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: dogs

quote:
Originally posted by tony.beals
Is there really a naturally straight or naturally trashy bloodline or is it the circumstance and the hunters that train them? I'm not being sarcastic I have been forunate to have had one deer chase in last 20 years and that was a young pup who chased for 20 yards. JMO

I'm not necessarily saying that its deer the dogs trash on. More pups here lately have ran coyotes for a 900 yard loop. But its not a particular blood line. Not any 1 person has been leading the young dogs or pups. I've seen some top young dogs that would flat burn a coon track up, and anything else that laid track.

I've also seen some "naturally straight " dogs come up here and be NOT so naturally straight after all. But I've had better luck with young dogs that will burn any kind of track up then the ones that will only run coons. Must just be the ones I've had and the ones my buddies have had.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Last edited by novicane65 on 01-22-2019 at 06:18 PM

Old Post 01-22-2019 06:16 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I love a young dog that has the drive to run anything that lays a track that also has enough brains that I can control it.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-22-2019 07:30 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Tim they wouldn't enjoy my dogs when they are young when those deer go to rutting its on like donkey kong and that ole buck ain't got time to circle but most usually they run a coon the same way. I can't stand walk and bawl but I guess if your only hunting in 10 acres you don't need a track dog lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-22-2019 07:43 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Dogs that start out 4-5-6 month old running anything that will run from them make twice the dogs that are naturally straight , naturally straight dogs might tree coon 3-4-5 mph but I have yet to see a naturally straight pup have what I'm looking for , and that that 8-11 mph run to catch huslte all the time alone are co , those Imo make your special pups that I want to keep I have two hear rite now off box x ice cross they ran there first deer last week at 13 weeks old by scent , not bad Imo , her females pretty much break themselves once a coon are two gets in there mouth now males another story but you will get a once in a lifetime hound if your hunter enough to hang with the males until they settle down , I'm not lookin for a dog that will just tree a coon , I look for that one that pulls away from any me too ers that want to tag along are bust in there 200 yards are 2 miles quick fast and in a hurry , and get the job done every snap of the lead , with no babbling of course

Old Post 01-22-2019 08:01 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

I’ll take a gamey pup that wants to run anything that puts a track on the ground everytime

Old Post 01-22-2019 08:29 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Woooow ...guess I'm blessed with naturally straight dogs ...that average 8-11 mph and 4-6 minutes on their coons hunting state ground that's 2000+ acres....hey to each his/her own .
A trashy dog up here will prolly keep u out all nite stareing at your Garmin for the closest road to bushwack it ! Lol

Old Post 01-22-2019 09:03 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I'll pass on a pup that wants to run anything that lays a track.. I prefer mine to just run coon, not that that is all they ever run. But I don't want one setting the woods on fire every track it comes across.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 01-22-2019 10:16 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
Woooow ...guess I'm blessed with naturally straight dogs ...that average 8-11 mph and 4-6 minutes on their coons hunting state ground that's 2000+ acres....hey to each his/her own .
A trashy dog up here will prolly keep u out all nite stareing at your Garmin for the closest road to bushwack it ! Lol

not sure where your up here is. But around here in northeast pa and southern tier ny, a trashy young dog will switch off. And honestly I don't mind a trashy depression era type dog. But I can say when I'm done for the night, I'm done. I don't like waiting for a dog to get treed before I can get them. Usually the first thing I do is break to tone.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 01-22-2019 10:17 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
I love a young dog that has the drive to run anything that lays a track that also has enough brains that I can control it.

yes, that's what I'm getting at. Not many I've seen have the extra gear that are naturally straight.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 01-22-2019 10:20 PM
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
Trashy dogs lack brains....jmo

That's a very false statement. Maybe one that still won't quit after being broke but not one that is just naturally trashy. I had serious trash problems with this pup im hunting now and she handles and minds better than any lab i've ever been around. Also why aren't you winning world hunts if your dog is treeing coons on average of every 6 minutes? heck if they are treeing them every 10 minutes you should score 2700+ a cast.

Last edited by gpent24 on 01-22-2019 at 11:28 PM

Old Post 01-22-2019 11:23 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I don’t mind one that’ll bump some fast game as a youngster.... I want them trying to do something even if it is wrong.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 01-23-2019 12:53 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Extra trashy will open there mouth and get ya minus points in a hunt plenty often. I also feel running trash is a big waste of training time. But just like anything else some times it helps a dog win hunts as well. Liking a trashy dog is just excepting 2nd best.

Old Post 01-23-2019 01:14 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Straight has more to do with exposure than it does genetics. As far as motor I've seen a lot of lazy dogs that like to run a deer

Old Post 01-23-2019 01:15 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Straight has more to do with exposure than it does genetics. As far as motor I've seen a lot of lazy dogs that like to run a deer

But was that lazy dog hair pullen good at running a deer ?

Tar

Old Post 01-23-2019 01:22 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Tar you have been coon hunting for years and do you really think running a deer fast is a track dog. Surely that isn't how you figure out what a track dog is?

Old Post 01-23-2019 01:27 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

It's a matter of personal preference I guess. I don't put them on deer but when they are young most dogs that try to push a track when deer are in rut will run one I can and will stop them anytime I want. Now I like a running dog that will tree I like a dog that is such a superior track dog that there is no way dogs can mee too on them and that are so dominant that over the course of the hunt pieces start falling off the other dogs because they know they are being dominated. Down here without an exceptional track dog you go to a lot of empty trees I am to old and cranky to do that.

Tar

Old Post 01-23-2019 01:41 AM
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Trashy???

I've had some of the most trashy dogs that probably ever drew a breath. I don't like trashy, period! There are dogs out there that prefer treeing game over running fast game and still can maneuver plenty fast enough to cover a lot of ground. One of the straightest dogs I ever followed was an absolute man killer! That dog could and would travel some serious territory. He would end up with a coon somewhere. I am hunting a little female now that is extremely energetic and can cover some ground quick. She has fooled with a few possums and squirrels and ran what I thought may have been a bobcat but other than that when she opens it's a coon. We are loaded down with deer and coyotes around here so there's no lack of fast game. It don't take much of a dog to run a deer, heck I can smell em quite a ways off on a rainy night if the wind is right. If you want a trashy, or gamey hound to make into a coondog, that ok but that's just one step I can do without. I'm up in age now and don't have a lot of time or the patients to fool with the trash burners but to each their own.

Old Post 01-23-2019 02:04 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Well I will tell you that 98% of the winningest competition dogs ever born were trashy and wild. It’s been my experience that running dogs that will tree are harder to train but make a much more accurate dog in the end.

Old Post 01-23-2019 02:55 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I sure like a young and trashy pup...pup is just showing me what it will do one day in the near future...no worries if it will start one day...

Trashy pups are easy enough to break...just show them the woods is a fun place and show them what game is acceptable...once they know those two things then I start breaking them off of off game...it doesn’t take long...and the best part is that these type of dogs don’t have bad nights...

Old Post 01-23-2019 03:40 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I was probly 21yrs old Pete lavon ( johnsons Danny boy , buffalo river thunder ) told me sony kid the day that you quit getting mad and embarrassed when your dog messes up and study on how to fix it you will train top hounds and it's easier to take it out than put it in.

Ole Pete was right.

Tar

Old Post 01-23-2019 03:47 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

That was good advice then and still is today. You can not put something in a dog, but you sure can take things out of a dog. I have yet to see any trainer teach a dog to track, hunt or tree, they may think they did. You can stop about anything a dog does, but you can not put what's not there in any dog. If one could do these things, he could be rich in no time at all. Dave

Old Post 01-23-2019 04:26 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote