UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Those plastic barrel doghouses.
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

I bet through the years I have spent a small fortune on dog houses of all kinds, shapes, and materials. There is no doubt that the plastic 55 gallon barrel makes the best and almost indestructible house. Hounds chewed on everything I bought and mostly destroyed it. I have yet to have one chew up a barrel. They cheap, I get mine for free, and the dogs love them. Heck the old lab in the yard sleeps in one. Best dog house you can get, even if you have to buy the drum.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-22-2019 12:32 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I have used them for years. I don't use a flap either as the condensation point is valid. A dog in damp bedding is just no good. I am lucky I have 2 10X10 kennels in a building so they are completely out of the wind. Like JB I have the heated buckets and some decent food and they seem to not mind the weather at all, especially young dogs act like its not even cold.

As with most things in 2018.........we worry a little too much about the fragility of these dogs. Animals somehow manage to survive the winter with no particular help from humans. Its great to provide proper care for your dogs......but these are not china dolls.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 01-22-2019 01:20 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCorbin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Ashbaugh
I have used them for years. I don't use a flap either as the condensation point is valid. A dog in damp bedding is just no good. I am lucky I have 2 10X10 kennels in a building so they are completely out of the wind. Like JB I have the heated buckets and some decent food and they seem to not mind the weather at all, especially young dogs act like its not even cold.

As with most things in 2018.........we worry a little too much about the fragility of these dogs. Animals somehow manage to survive the winter with no particular help from humans. Its great to provide proper care for your dogs......but these are not china dolls.

Ron,

I think you’re right to some degree, we do worry a bit much nowadays, myself included. But, I know these dogs are many generations removed from passing on their traits due to an advantage in being able to survive harsh environmental conditions; we’ve bred them for their ability to tree Coon, that trait isn’t necessarily coupled with a heightened ability to survive harsh conditions. Also, I wonder if their is an increased rate of older dogs dying of old age during the winter months than in other times of the year.

Old Post 01-22-2019 01:30 PM
DCorbin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DCorbin Click here to Send DCorbin a Private Message Find more posts by DCorbin Add DCorbin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
....Anybody that don't put a flap or "dog door" of some type on their dogs house in the winter/cold temps......... is a MORON and don't deserve to own them...

..Oh my goodness, there sure are a lot of MORONS out there...

Old Post 01-22-2019 01:35 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DCorbin
Ron, Also, I wonder if their is an increased rate of older dogs dying of old age during the winter months than in other times of the year.

This is possible, but really imo, as great of a coon treeing dog as it is, if a dog can't survive with good care in the environment I live in, then what good is it too me anyway? Dogs die at all different ages from a million different things. I am ALL FOR giving dogs the best care you can, but they just don't live forever no matter what you do, death visits all of us, just because it is not on our timeline, doesn't mean its not the right timeline.

Keep em dry, with good bedding and out of the wind, feed em good, make sure they have water and let the chips fall. Don't worry, all dogs go to heaven...

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 01-22-2019 01:51 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCorbin
UKC Forum Member

I agree

Old Post 01-22-2019 01:54 PM
DCorbin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DCorbin Click here to Send DCorbin a Private Message Find more posts by DCorbin Add DCorbin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bns3
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
..Oh my goodness, there sure are a lot of MORONS out there...

LMAO true
I have one female that will rip off a flap faster than you can put it on. Went to K9 swinging doors years ago. Shell still sleep outside in snow during day even with nice warm stuffed box. But she is a plott lol

Last edited by bns3 on 01-22-2019 at 02:03 PM

Old Post 01-22-2019 02:00 PM
bns3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bns3 Click here to Send bns3 a Private Message Find more posts by bns3 Add bns3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

If you want to use a flap, build a box to put over the barrel, leave about a foot in front of it and put the flap on the box. If I had a dog outside, I used to use a giant old shipping crate. The crate and flap cut all the wind but the house could still "breath". It kept all the snow and weather off the actual barrel house and the dogs seemed very comfortable in their little cave.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 01-22-2019 02:03 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
I bet through the years I have spent a small fortune on dog houses of all kinds, shapes, and materials. There is no doubt that the plastic 55 gallon barrel makes the best and almost indestructible house. Hounds chewed on everything I bought and mostly destroyed it. I have yet to have one chew up a barrel. They cheap, I get mine for free, and the dogs love them. Heck the old lab in the yard sleeps in one. Best dog house you can get, even if you have to buy the drum.

My thoughts exactly

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 01-22-2019 02:39 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Barrels VS Conventional?

I've used the plastic barrels, the wooden type, the igloo type, and about every type out there. I have built my own for the last several years and things that I have learned is....most dogs chew, especially when they're young and/or not being hunted or exercised regularly. That's the #1 complaint with most boxes. Things that are necessary, IMO, in a box are warmth, dryness, easily kept, durable, and easily accessed. That being said, I started building my own. They're not as cheap but I don't worry about my dog in any weather. I also keep my dogs in a covered kennel. I build them rectangle not too big or too small. They're 1/2" thick with 3/16" plywood inside, 1/2" insulation in between and sheet metal for the outside. I make the top to raise up to change bedding and cover all the corners with 3/4" X 1/16" angle aluminum. Always use treated lumber for the bottom runners. I caulk every corner for a perfect seal. Again, I'm retired and have time for all this. I'm going to try the heavy duty plastic on my next one. I get my materials from the local race car builders down the road from me. They have all I need and they also sell the heavy duty plastic that I'm gonna try next. I'm not knocking the barrels at all, they are just fine, I'm just taking it a little further and I enjoy doing it. I'd be glad to text picks of my custom dog box, just can't put them on here. Good thread and some good comments!

Old Post 01-22-2019 03:29 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Barrels VS Conventional?

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
I've used the plastic barrels, the wooden type, the igloo type, and about every type out there. I have built my own for the last several years and things that I have learned is....most dogs chew, especially when they're young and/or not being hunted or exercised regularly. That's the #1 complaint with most boxes. Things that are necessary, IMO, in a box are warmth, dryness, easily kept, durable, and easily accessed. That being said, I started building my own. They're not as cheap but I don't worry about my dog in any weather. I also keep my dogs in a covered kennel. I build them rectangle not too big or too small. They're 1/2" thick with 3/16" plywood inside, 1/2" insulation in between and sheet metal for the outside. I make the top to raise up to change bedding and cover all the corners with 3/4" X 1/16" angle aluminum. Always use treated lumber for the bottom runners. I caulk every corner for a perfect seal. Again, I'm retired and have time for all this. I'm going to try the heavy duty plastic on my next one. I get my materials from the local race car builders down the road from me. They have all I need and they also sell the heavy duty plastic that I'm gonna try next. I'm not knocking the barrels at all, they are just fine, I'm just taking it a little further and I enjoy doing it. I'd be glad to text picks of my custom dog box, just can't put them on here. Good thread and some good comments!

Sounds to me like you put thought into the dog houses you've built. Most people around me don't. I've thought about building my next set, but won't need to for a couple years yet. Now for the guys saying that you can't put a door on a dog house without your dog chewing it off. There's some heavy duty plexiglass doggie doors you can buy. They last year's, and you can rebuild the hinges. I got mine at lion country supply I believe. It's been a few years since I bought them.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-22-2019 03:40 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Barrels VS Conventional?

quote:

Send me pictures of your Dog Box....
765-244-7028

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 01-22-2019 06:21 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Barrels VS Conventional?

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
Send me pictures of your Dog Box....
765-244-7028

Photos sent.

Old Post 01-22-2019 09:32 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Reynolds
UKC Forum Member

What kind of barrels are you guys using? Local feed store here has the common blue 55 gallon barrels with two screw on plugs on one end. They also have a 55 gallon barrel with a scew on lid on one end. The barrels tapers down to smaller opening at lid. Just curious as to which do you guys think works best. I bought some insulated houses about 10 years ago, they have lasted well but time for some new ones and they are about $150 a piece now.

Old Post 01-22-2019 11:12 PM
Mike Reynolds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Reynolds Click here to Send Mike Reynolds a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Reynolds Find more posts by Mike Reynolds Add Mike Reynolds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbender
UKC Forum Member

The ones with the screw on lids (pickle barrels) aren't as sturdy plastic as the ones with the flat top and two bung holes. I would use the regular blue with a flat top.

Old Post 01-23-2019 01:55 AM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Barrels VS Conventional?

quote:
Photos sent.

Thanks for the pictures....
Very Nice looking Boxes...!!!
They look Well Built.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 01-23-2019 02:11 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

There is a HUGE push in many states to outlaw the barrels because of the idiots in the HUS. They are too stupid to know that they work.

Many of the dog houses are too BIG. Their heat is what heats the house, get it too big and their heater ain't big enough LOL.

That's why those barrels work so well they are the perfect size for that size dog.

Old Post 01-23-2019 03:27 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion, the white ones are best. They are a thicker plastic and a little smaller. Y'all are defeating the purpose, cheap, easy and indestructable, when you go to building on them. And as I said before, I think that dogs like the fact that they are round.

Old Post 01-23-2019 01:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ROBERT HAYES
UKC Forum Member

Barrels

Pictures please. Thanks

Old Post 01-23-2019 02:11 PM
ROBERT HAYES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ROBERT HAYES Click here to Send ROBERT HAYES a Private Message Find more posts by ROBERT HAYES Add ROBERT HAYES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ROBERT HAYES
UKC Forum Member

Barrels

Yes sir i have seen barrels just never seen a picture of one.

Old Post 01-23-2019 02:59 PM
ROBERT HAYES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ROBERT HAYES Click here to Send ROBERT HAYES a Private Message Find more posts by ROBERT HAYES Add ROBERT HAYES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ROBERT HAYES
UKC Forum Member

Barrels

Maybe someone could text pictures to my phone. THANKS 573-934-1909

Old Post 01-23-2019 06:46 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Barrels

quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT HAYES
Maybe someone could text pictures to my phone. THANKS 573-934-1909
Google "barrel" they probably have pictures.

Old Post 01-23-2019 06:50 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

White ones DO NOT last as long . They dry rot faster and cant handle the sun/cold weather elements like the blue and black ones.
If you have them indoors or in the shade you'll be fine and it will add years to their life.
Just because a barrel is white does not mean its thicker ,it all depends on the manufacturer and original purpose of the barrel.

Old Post 01-23-2019 07:09 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

The way I make mine for my indoor kennel is to measure 14" down from the top, drill a hole, draw a smiley face from the hole to the top of the barrel, get a saws all and cut out the hole. I keep the hole as small as possible for a dog to get in and not drag the bedding out every time they go in and out. If you want them outside, just build a roof out of 1/4 of another barrel and bolt it one top of the other.

It easy as that.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 01-23-2019 07:35 PM
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
If you dont have a roof ie; have em tied on a chain ive noticed during multiple raining days the wind can blow rain in bad sometimes . I use plastic barrels and always have . I re-done all mine few yrs ago so to make a new one like i done em it will take 2 barrels . One barrel is used to cut from . I make an over hanging roof ( about 1 foot ) over the entrance hole ,
Its a great modification !

i dont have the flaps/doors because its too humid in FL and the flaps hold the condensation inside. plus my young dog would eat the flaps... but would love to try this. i even have an extra barrel in the garage. what do you use to attach the over hang portion?

mine are in their kennels which have roofs... but during a storm it will wet their shavings inside.

speaking of shavings/hay/bedding... most of the time my dogs kick all their shavings out of their barrels do yall have this issue?

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 01-23-2019 07:38 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote