UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Those plastic barrel doghouses.
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ItsOlMander
i dont have the flaps/doors because its too humid in FL and the flaps hold the condensation inside. plus my young dog would eat the flaps... but would love to try this. i even have an extra barrel in the garage. what do you use to attach the over hang portion?

mine are in their kennels which have roofs... but during a storm it will wet their shavings inside.

speaking of shavings/hay/bedding... most of the time my dogs kick all their shavings out of their barrels do yall have this issue?

I use a small dome headed bolt approx 1.5 inches long and two big fender washers about the size of a quarter . Just takes two bolts one on each side of barrel. If you want to put one at the top you can it will actually make the roof more sturdy !

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-23-2019 09:13 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gone walkin
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Plastic barrel dog house

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
I have thought this myself for years. If someone made a mold for a two bay box out of that material, added some vents, and slapped a decent door on the front he could quit his day job...

I have made dog boxes out of them. The hole you cut out for the dog to get in and out I just added hinges and a latch to the piece that was cut out . Cut a 4x4 on a angle and screwed it to the bottom on both sides so that it wouldn't roll. Had one for summer with a bunch of holes cut in with a hole saw and a winter one that was closed up. It was nice being light. Throw it in and out as needed. I still have one if anyone wants pictures just text me 585-683-8787

Old Post 01-23-2019 11:53 PM
gone walkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gone walkin Click here to Send gone walkin a Private Message Find more posts by gone walkin Add gone walkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Jim, 40 below wind chill here Wednesday night, I'm south of you, that's going to test those barrels. Think I'm going to double up dogs that night

Old Post 01-27-2019 03:06 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Stinnett
UKC Forum Member

Listen guys!

If Jim Sizemore says their good, Then they are good!

Coon Hounds
Lake Village, IN
Cell: 219-712-4281
Email:jstinnett@upgen.us

*******HOME OF**********

PCH.GRCH. BRIAR BUSTEN SKEETER - BEAGLE
PCH. GRCH. BRIAR BUSTEN TRIXIE - BEAGLE
STYLISH BO - TREEING WALKER
CH.S&S BLUE BONNIE - BLUETICK
SPORTMIX DOG FOOD FED & RECOMMENED

Old Post 01-28-2019 04:46 AM
Jim Stinnett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Stinnett Click here to Send Jim Stinnett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Stinnett Visit Jim Stinnett's homepage! Find more posts by Jim Stinnett Add Jim Stinnett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

I've used the barrels for 20+ years and don't believe they can be beat. A drip edge to keep rain from blowing in might not be a bad idea but I've never done that.

I'd agree with whats said aboove about not making the door too big, it just needs to be big enough for the dog to go in and out. I like to keep
few inches from the bottom of the hole to the ground so the bedding won't get drug out so quick. I'll use a 2x4 about 18" long with a notch cut and screwed to the bottom, to keep the barrel from rolling. Put plenty of clean dry hay inside. In the winter I put a flap on but it does need some ventilation, otherwise the dog's breath will cause condensation. For that reason I do NOT use a solid flap, like a rubber mat. I like to use some thin, outdoor type carpet. It will keep the wind out, insulate some but allow some ventilation. Of course the edges around the carpet will allow some air movement, too.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 01-28-2019 02:24 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

If you make the entry hole round chewers won't chew nearly as much .

Old Post 01-29-2019 01:37 AM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

15" of Hay and a plastic barrel. No door flap. Been doing it for years .
My barrels are 3/8" thick and not like your typical barrel.
Supposed to be actual temps here of 15 tonight. 5 tomo night and in the AM . Thats not cold as you guys up North but its still COLD. Glad its only lasting couple days. I buy beef fat and meat trimmings from local butcher shop and feed it with normal feed. melted beef fat in warm water to "bait the water " so dogs will drink and stay hydrated.
Dogs are warm and toasty here.

Last edited by Toad Hill on 01-29-2019 at 05:15 PM

Old Post 01-29-2019 04:06 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

-35 tomorrow here very southern Mi

Barrels might work in 'normal' temps. but with -35 wind chill coming Dogs will need extra food,extra fat added to it if possible and a Flap/door of some sort.
JMO

Plan to bring both mine into barn for the night/all day tomorrow.I keep it a 50 deg.They are both 10.Not worth stress on them.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 01-29-2019 04:12 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Got one yesterday

All dogs in my kennels in the barn, but my neighbor Newall Standridge brought one over for my only Bluetick. About to find out how good it is, compared to my dog houses my other hounds have. Best neighbor you could ask for!

Old Post 01-29-2019 05:50 PM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote