UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Those plastic barrel doghouses.
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Those plastic barrel doghouses.

Minus 11 this mourning when I fed the dogs. The pup came out of her barrel, stretched and yawned and acted like it was 60 degrees out.
Those barrels are the best doghouse's you can get. Absolutely wind and rain proof, totally indestructable. I dont believe there is a dog alive that can chew one up or ruin it. They cost nothing or next to nothing. After spending probably over a thousand dollars on pro built and custom built house's that don't last 5 years, nothing but plastic barrels from now on.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-21-2019 02:48 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Well, I've had good luck with my dog houses. In some states it clearly says that the use of plastic barrels is against the law. I had some plastic barrel houses 10 years ago, and they were good. I'm ready to move, but my wife and son aren't. So until that happens in stuck here.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-21-2019 02:56 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If you put a regular dog house and a plastic barrel out together, your dog will sleep in the barrel.

Old Post 01-21-2019 02:59 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I go to Walmart and buy the cheap truck floor mats and use self tapping screws put them over the doors works good.

Tar

Old Post 01-21-2019 03:01 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Well, I've had good luck with my dog houses. In some states it clearly says that the use of plastic barrels is against the law. I had some plastic barrel houses 10 years ago, and they were good. I'm ready to move, but my wife and son aren't. So until that happens in stuck here.

I'm sure the HSUS gang would have a full on heart attack at the very idea which is an even better reason to use them.

Old Post 01-21-2019 03:03 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tripple river
UKC Forum Member

Way better that the plastic igloo dog houses I think the liberals believe if it don’t cost a lot of money it’s prolly in humane the same as a chain versus a kennel with a concrete floor I have both but the kennel is just for females in heat way more room for exercise on a chain

Old Post 01-21-2019 03:37 PM
tripple river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tripple river Click here to Send tripple river a Private Message Click Here to Email tripple river Find more posts by tripple river Add tripple river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

The same plastic barrels for 22 years. I keep plenty of hay in them. I need to put new belting over the door. They chew on the belting. Its rubber and nylon belting 1/4 inch thick. Thinking about using plastic barrel material for the door material. Fix it where the dog can push it in and out.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 01-21-2019 05:45 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike thomason
UKC Forum Member

I’ve used barrels for years they work great
The bigest mistake i see is people cutting the door openings to big
Even seen some for sale cut this way
I always cut the opening in the bottom of the barrel so in the summer months you can remove the bung hole plugs for ventilation

Old Post 01-21-2019 05:48 PM
mike thomason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike thomason Click here to Send mike thomason a Private Message Find more posts by mike thomason Add mike thomason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

Where do you guys get the barrels?

Old Post 01-21-2019 06:25 PM
LSO1103 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSO1103 Click here to Send LSO1103 a Private Message Click Here to Email LSO1103 Find more posts by LSO1103 Add LSO1103 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

If you dont have a roof ie; have em tied on a chain ive noticed during multiple raining days the wind can blow rain in bad sometimes . I use plastic barrels and always have . I re-done all mine few yrs ago so to make a new one like i done em it will take 2 barrels . One barrel is used to cut from . I make an over hanging roof ( about 1 foot ) over the entrance hole ,
Its a great modification !

Last edited by Toad Hill on 01-21-2019 at 07:07 PM

Old Post 01-21-2019 07:04 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ROBERT HAYES
UKC Forum Member

Plastic barrels

Could someone post some pictures please.

Old Post 01-21-2019 07:38 PM
ROBERT HAYES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ROBERT HAYES Click here to Send ROBERT HAYES a Private Message Find more posts by ROBERT HAYES Add ROBERT HAYES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

Blue barrel,wood,etc....Anybody that don't put a flap or "dog door" of some type on their dogs house in the winter/cold temps......... is a MORON and don't deserve to own them.

-17 here,very southern Mi. this morning.Open end/no door closer with today's temp. might as well sleep outside.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Last edited by 4play on 01-21-2019 at 09:29 PM

Old Post 01-21-2019 08:07 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shaun Paton
UKC Forum Member

Housing

They sure do work great, But the key to any of them is good dry bedding. If I could post pics I would show how I fixed mine up. I also cut a few slices in the bottoms so the water can't stay. Fill them with dry bedding and they are good to go.

Old Post 01-21-2019 08:22 PM
Shaun Paton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun Paton Click here to Send Shaun Paton a Private Message Find more posts by Shaun Paton Add Shaun Paton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

I got one of the insulated ones from Rural King, Dog Palace. It's advertised to be 20 degrees warmer than outside temps. I've found that to be accurate. But I put a K&H heated in there. It's 7 here now and doghouse is at 48 inside. Last night it was at least -5 and doghouse only dropped to 40. Add an electric water bowl, good feed and dry bedding and he's pretty comfortable out there.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 01-21-2019 08:54 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mkruep
UKC Forum Member

Plastic barrel dog house

Yeah I will agree that the barrels work the best. I have been using them for years. The biggest advantage that I have seen is (other than they are nearly indestructible) that they are draft free... there is no seams for the cold air to get through. I also cut a portion of a different barrel and put it over the opening which works good to keep the rain out. If you would like to see a pic let me know.
It would be nice if there was a barrel factory close to me where I could have a mold made and make a rectangle shaped barrel and it would also work good for a dog box to put on the back of your truck. Putting 2 together would revolutionize the box industry and would be so much cheaper instead of paying $700 for an aluminium one. It would be light weight and easier to handle and load.

Old Post 01-21-2019 09:00 PM
mkruep is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mkruep Click here to Send mkruep a Private Message Click Here to Email mkruep Find more posts by mkruep Add mkruep to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Re: Plastic barrel dog house

quote:
Originally posted by mkruep
It would be nice if there was a barrel factory close to me where I could have a mold made and make a rectangle shaped barrel and it would also work good for a dog box to put on the back of your truck. Putting 2 together would revolutionize the box industry and would be so much cheaper instead of paying $700 for an aluminium one. It would be light weight and easier to handle and load.

I have thought this myself for years. If someone made a mold for a two bay box out of that material, added some vents, and slapped a decent door on the front he could quit his day job...

Old Post 01-21-2019 09:57 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I wonder if dogs don't like them better because they are round? There are no corners or flat sides. An egg shape might be even better.

Old Post 01-21-2019 10:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

There’s a post on Facebook right now of a dog “freezing” to
death in a plastic dog house, don’t like them see this haha

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 01-21-2019 11:45 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
Blue barrel,wood,etc....Anybody that don't put a flap or "dog door" of some type on their dogs house in the winter/cold temps......... is a MORON and don't deserve to own them.

-17 here,very southern Mi. this morning.Open end/no door closer with today's temp. might as well sleep outside.

We’ve always found flaps/dog doors always caused condensation on the inside of the dog house. Best set up I’ve found yet is a wooden dog house that has a entry way on it, they have to go inside the house to enter the back part I guess you could say where there bedding is. Helps keep the wind and weather off them

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 01-21-2019 11:47 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbender
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by LSO1103
Where do you guys get the barrels?

I get mine from a car wash in town. I'm sure you can find them on craigslist if you don't have any car washes nearby.

Old Post 01-22-2019 02:31 AM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by 4play

Never used flaps, tried a few kinds and gave up keeping the on. I just set my barrels up against the barn with just enough room for the dog to get in. All these years, never lost a dog to the cold.

Old Post 01-22-2019 03:49 AM
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Barrels do make one heck of a dog house and this is the one and only things is this sport that is cheap that actually works best. Those talking about a plastic barrel material but square type box, our rural king sells these like Lonepine JB is talking about, they do look nice and sturdy in person.

http://www.asldoghouses.com/

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 01-22-2019 04:51 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blueticker
Thinking about using plastic barrel material for the door material. Fix it where the dog can push it in and out.

I use the hole cutout as their flap ...... I cut a straight line at the top, attach two hinges and reduce the cutout size to allow the door to swing in & out .. ..

Old Post 01-22-2019 08:56 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Dog House......

quote:
Originally posted by jkidd1
Barrels do make one heck of a dog house and this is the one and only things is this sport that is cheap that actually works best. Those talking about a plastic barrel material but square type box, our rural king sells these like Lonepine JB is talking about, they do look nice and sturdy in person.

http://www.asldoghouses.com/

I have the 2nd one, the one that looks like a Barn.
Its large and a great House........But if you have a Chewer this is not a good option.
Dogs have already chewed corners and the insulation is starting to come out.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 01-22-2019 11:45 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCorbin
UKC Forum Member

Pack those barrels full of straw and they work nice and you can move them easily. I made these dog houses because I didn’t want to have another thing to worry about with any crazy weather, in the winter that they were going to be warm enough or that they’ll be comfortable in the summer. Split level with breeze on top level through windows when it’s 100F in the summer that I put plexi glass over in the winter, and an insulated room down below to crawl into when it’s -10F in the winter. I got enough to worry about than dogs to be safe in any weather, or any animals rights folks challenging the humanness of my outside kennels.

Old Post 01-22-2019 12:18 PM
DCorbin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DCorbin Click here to Send DCorbin a Private Message Find more posts by DCorbin Add DCorbin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote