UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Genetics and Color Pattern???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Genetics and Color Pattern???

Always amazed at different color patterns our hounds throw. Figured I would throw one out there and see you thought why they are all brown. I would of thought some would have some black on them. I know in genetics there is dominate and there is recessive genes. I also know some dogs seem to throw the dominate gene even it may be the recessive one. lol In other words I am lost as to the wonder of genetics.
Anyway I have this female that is Sired by Drop Dead Fred. She is a Black Headed Walker that is built strong like many of the Fred and Skuna River dogs are. I bred her last year to a black blanket back Male Walker and got basically red headed black blanket back pups.

Here is the color pattern of the Mother.

Here is a picture of the color pattern of the Father which is a Deer Dog.

She had a whole litter with not a speck of Black on them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-2017 12:47 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cowboybenzo
UKC Forum Member

Good lookin pups though! I always like the "different" not standard colored dogs

Old Post 03-23-2017 01:03 PM
Cowboybenzo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cowboybenzo Click here to Send Cowboybenzo a Private Message Click Here to Email Cowboybenzo Find more posts by Cowboybenzo Add Cowboybenzo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Genetics and Color Pattern???

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Always amazed at different color patterns our hounds throw. Figured I would throw one out there and see you thought why they are all brown. I would of thought some would have some black on them. I know in genetics there is dominate and there is recessive genes. I also know some dogs seem to throw the dominate gene even it may be the recessive one. lol In other words I am lost as to the wonder of genetics.
Anyway I have this female that is Sired by Drop Dead Fred. She is a Black Headed Walker that is built strong like many of the Fred and Skuna River dogs are. I bred her last year to a black blanket back Male Walker and got basically red headed black blanket back pups.

Here is the color pattern of the Mother.

Here is a picture of the color pattern of the Father which is a Deer Dog.

She had a whole litter with not a speck of Black on them.

Hmmm!! was gonna reply but i want!! Just what in the heck kinda walker you breed her to!! lol

Old Post 03-23-2017 01:30 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Lets just call him a deer hound from running walker stock. The one on the left in the picture is the Daddy of them.

Old Post 03-23-2017 01:38 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Coloration?

Bruce, I hunt and raise Blueticks and in the latter years specifically the "All Blue" bluetick hound. It amazes me how complicated this breeding for color can be. You can take two all blue hounds (no tan trim) and cross them and get some tan trim pups mixed in the litter but you can't breed two tan trim blueticks and get an all blue pup, at least I have never done it after raising many litters. Now, I've heard a very few people say they got an all blue pup out of two tan trim blueticks but I've never seen it. I do know a litter can have two different sires which could possibly be the reasoning behind it, just saying. At any rate, these hounds never cease to amaze me! My old "All Blue" stud dog was loaded with all blue colored ancestors throughout his pedigree and he would constantly throw a high percentage of all blue puppies in his litters, even when crossed on tan trim females, with many litters ranging up around 80% all blue but usually there was always a tan trim pup in there somewhere even when he was crossed on all blue females. I don't know for sure but I would say if you would cross two of those tan pups that you would most likely get a black, white and tan pup. Don't know why it comes up like this, it's beyond my knowledge, lol. Anyways, that is a good looking litter, hope they make some good ones. Good luck.......Ron

Old Post 03-23-2017 02:03 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Also the last time she had 8 males and 2 females and raised them all. This time it is 7 males and 5 females and they are just two days old, so they have a long ways to go. My buddy who wanted the deer hound pups took her to breed and raise the pups.

Old Post 03-23-2017 03:43 PM
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Here is my take on Genetics.
HOMOZYGOUS: Having two copies of the same gene.
HETEROZYGOUS: Having one gene dominant, and one gene recessive.
I bred and raised Reg. Quarter horses for a few years and when you had a horse DNA'd they could tell you if it was one or the other for color. Many people that bred for a certain color would bred to a Homozygous stud. Bruce It would look like the dog you bred your female to was Homozygous.
My problem with Genetics is it seems easy to breed for color but it takes generations of smart line breeding or dumb luck to get dogs to become uniform in much of anything else. Also you can take 2 pups with the same potential and two different owners or trainers and one can become the world champion and the other nothing much. To me Genetics is the makeup of the dog and environment is what it becomes. Same as any other living creature including humans. The potential is there the hard work is what will bring it out.

You can't fix STUPID!

Last edited by Bob Hennessey on 03-23-2017 at 05:06 PM

Old Post 03-23-2017 05:04 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

To me Genetics is the makeup of the dog and environment is what it becomes. Same as any other living creature including humans. The potential is there the hard work is what will bring it out. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's Good!

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 03-23-2017 08:11 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Bruce

I once bred two GRNITECH 'PR' solid red redbones, and I got 5 solid red pups, 2 black & tans, and 2 red & whites without a lick of black on them.

Basically, I learned I know very little about genetics from that litter of pups

Old Post 03-23-2017 09:02 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

deer hunting with hounds in ark is banned most of the state of ark . wont be long till the areas we got left no longer exist .enjoy your running hounds while you still can .curious about the red and white one you have . one thing for sure they look to be built to fly .saw one red and white running hound in a fox pen years ago . they brought her from mississippi where did yours come from?

Old Post 03-25-2017 03:22 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote