UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Wildfire Conditions Seem Awful This Year!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Wildfire Conditions Seem Awful This Year!

I know we all have to face different weather conditions during the year and many can be tragic for families and friends. Just an early observation but the wildfire conditions for FL right now seem extreme to me. We had a small fire in our hunting club this past weekend and I went out there this week to see what had burnt. Since I spend most of my time out there at night, I was surprised to see just how dry it was.
Yesterday it was in the low 80's and it appeared so dry underbrush was ready to burst into flames at any time.
If you have your home nestled in and around a bunch of trees, I would suggest some cutting of the underbrush. This might be a year for the record books as far as fires go.
Never thought I would say it is getting hard to remember the last time it rained or the last time it turned cold for more than two days straight here in FL.
What almost makes it worse now than mid summer is some of the dry winds we can get. Lot of breezy days with 15-20 mile per hour winds and they can sure fan a fire.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-2017 11:32 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, being a forester and being involved in wildfire program for over 20 years, I've seen plenty. Been from south Florida to Washington State and lots of places in between on fire detail. It definitely runs in cycles. We're usually well into fire season, but this year we are waiting for snow to melt.

You're absolutely right about clearing around homes. http://www.firewise.org/wildfire-pr...-landscape.aspx Has some good info on how to protect your homes.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 03-23-2017 09:07 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

years ago in my dumb teen years my bother and i treed in a hollow tree . always heard about smoking one out so we gave it a try .huge mistake . inside of the tree caught on fire and looked like the 4th of july coming out the top .we tried to no avail to put it out , we were lucky no houses or people were lost by our actions . took 3 days for the bull dozers to push fire lanes to get it under control . still hard to believe how fast it all happened and how powerless we were to to stop it when it got rolling .

Old Post 03-25-2017 02:17 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
years ago in my dumb teen years my bother and i treed in a hollow tree . always heard about smoking one out so we gave it a try .huge mistake . inside of the tree caught on fire and looked like the 4th of july coming out the top .we tried to no avail to put it out , we were lucky no houses or people were lost by our actions . took 3 days for the bull dozers to push fire lanes to get it under control . still hard to believe how fast it all happened and how powerless we were to to stop it when it got rolling .

Had almost the same experience. We thought we put it out until I drove by the next day!

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 03-25-2017 02:19 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote