UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > X-breed ???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

X-breed ???

If I understand, seeing that you don't need to know the breeding of the sire or dam, these pups don't have to be out of hound parents??

Example: you could take a Running Walker that trees and breed it to a Pointer and reg them as X-Breed.

Because I would guess there can't be a breed standard as long as they tree game, and if you'er going to comp hunt the only thing is they would have to meet the Nite Hunt Rules??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-2017 01:05 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gasserdogs
UKC Forum Member

correct

Old Post 03-23-2017 04:08 PM
gasserdogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gasserdogs Click here to Send gasserdogs a Private Message Find more posts by gasserdogs Add gasserdogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dajk4
UKC Forum Member

From what I understand, that would be the case. Although, I have a dog I reg. XBRED that I had to send in three pics with the registration. One front and both sides.
He is half Black & Tan and half English. Turned out SOLID red. Looks like full blood Redbone , but very houndy.

So I guess they have to have hound features. Not sure who makes that call.........

Old Post 03-23-2017 04:13 PM
dajk4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dajk4 Click here to Send dajk4 a Private Message Click Here to Email dajk4 Find more posts by dajk4 Add dajk4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

wrong, from what i understand it has to be from a coonhound x coonhound cross.

you can cross b&t, walker, english, plott, redbone,and leopard hound any way you want and register them Xbreed.

No fox hound, blood hound, pointer, ect.

Last edited by chip johnson on 03-23-2017 at 04:47 PM

Old Post 03-23-2017 04:28 PM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chip johnson
wrong, from what i understand it has to be from a coonhound x coonhound cross.

You are right that "is" what they say but they also say the dog can be of "unknown lineage" which really makes it impossible to be sure the dogs ancestors were even hounds at all IMO. That's why I think you have to send the pictures so they at least can make sure it "looks like a hound". In my mind if you crossed two "houndy looking" bird dogs like a german shorthair X weimeraner you'd have to be able to register those pups as X-breeed because nobody would be the wiser because those pups would be short haired and probably look just as houndy as some hound crosses IMO.

Old Post 03-23-2017 04:55 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Really???

Have to "look houndy"---

Didn't think "looks" made a coondog!

I am getting confused on all this?

So, to BE SURE that you have a TRUE X bred coonhound, Both parents would have to be PR Register in their own breed. Because if they are not, well you could be bring in say a Dob into the Black and Tan world.

If this was the case, parents being PR bred, then on X Bred "hounds" they could but the % of each breed as they do in the Running Hounds. Example: Treeing Walker 1/2 Black and Tan 1/2. Or Treeing Walker 1/4 Black and Tan 1/4 Redone 1/2?

From what I've been reading not many, if any, plan to do this long enough to bring it back into their breeding program. And if you're a hunter that doesn't care about papers you probably already have been doing this for a long time??
An example that come to me is a Government Hunter in Utah by the name of Phil Taylor. Got to meet him at a Breed Hunt in Wi years ago, he was hunting some of the best big game Redbones that where of the purest of blood. He kept outstanding records and could go back on his hounds as far as you would like, he bred his best to his best. But he didn't Register many. Here's the problem I see---Today I would get a pup from Phil, it would have to be registered X Breed, years ago it could have been single registered. Now, if you're a breeder and lets use Max Hunter, Roy Blakesley or Norman Lufcy, guys who knew what SINGLE REGISTERED really was suppose to be, they could bring in a hound and improve their line. Oh in case you gun ho breeders that have a mix bred "wonder" dog, there was always a cast to hunt them in---it was called GRADE!

So if pup/dog only has to look houndy and doesn't have to tree a coon, at least they did to get single Registered, you are really breeding for looks and isn't that what you true hunters been complaining about for years??? You darn SHOW people are going to wreck this sport😂😂😂

Old Post 03-23-2017 05:56 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

Re: Really???

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
Have to "look houndy"---

Didn't think "looks" made a coondog!

I am getting confused on all this?

So, to BE SURE that you have a TRUE X bred coonhound, Both parents would have to be PR Register in their own breed. Because if they are not, well you could be bring in say a Dob into the Black and Tan world.

If this was the case, parents being PR bred, then on X Bred "hounds" they could but the % of each breed as they do in the Running Hounds. Example: Treeing Walker 1/2 Black and Tan 1/2. Or Treeing Walker 1/4 Black and Tan 1/4 Redone 1/2?

From what I've been reading not many, if any, plan to do this long enough to bring it back into their breeding program. And if you're a hunter that doesn't care about papers you probably already have been doing this for a long time??
An example that come to me is a Government Hunter in Utah by the name of Phil Taylor. Got to meet him at a Breed Hunt in Wi years ago, he was hunting some of the best big game Redbones that where of the purest of blood. He kept outstanding records and could go back on his hounds as far as you would like, he bred his best to his best. But he didn't Register many. Here's the problem I see---Today I would get a pup from Phil, it would have to be registered X Breed, years ago it could have been single registered. Now, if you're a breeder and lets use Max Hunter, Roy Blakesley or Norman Lufcy, guys who knew what SINGLE REGISTERED really was suppose to be, they could bring in a hound and improve their line. Oh in case you gun ho breeders that have a mix bred "wonder" dog, there was always a cast to hunt them in---it was called GRADE!

So if pup/dog only has to look houndy and doesn't have to tree a coon, at least they did to get single Registered, you are really breeding for looks and isn't that what you true hunters been complaining about for years??? You darn SHOW people are going to wreck this sport😂😂😂

You lost me at "show people" you can't even show an X-breed dog LOL
I actually understand what your saying and 'mostly" agree but the way they do have it set up I really do think you could register just about anything that "looks" like a hound. I'm not saying you "should" I'm just saying it's "possible".

Old Post 03-23-2017 06:23 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Video
https://youtu.be/v9ulKtMuROc?t=3

Old Post 03-23-2017 08:14 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

i have a one year old x-bred . i made the cross of a english male to a walker female . why? because owning the sire and dam and following them both in the woods and both having traits that i demand in a dog i was curios what the pups would be like . only 2 have had a chance in the woods to show the results of this mating . all the pups were gave away at 8 weeks old . i kept the male that was the last one left after everyone had there choice .i like my young dog as good as anything ive had in years . the other pup being hunted went to a 63 year old man who says he is the best young dog he has had in his life .if the red bone male suits you breed to him . why care what papers say as far as breed goes if you get what you are looking for ?if you win the world hunt with one of the pups bet the redbone ass. would cry to let it back in before 3 generations .lol. hard time speck would now days be considered a x-bred . look at the impact he had on the english breed years ago .i jumped off the all grand band wagon and big winners after wasting time on 500 $ pups not worth a nickle .lol from now on ill just throw some mud on the wall and see if it sticks ,lol

Last edited by thomasg on 03-25-2017 at 01:20 AM

Old Post 03-25-2017 01:14 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote