UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > puppy vaccinations ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ruttinbuck
UKC Forum Member

puppy vaccinations ?

when should I worm and vaccinate newborn puppies ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-18-2017 03:22 AM
ruttinbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruttinbuck Click here to Send ruttinbuck a Private Message Click Here to Email ruttinbuck Find more posts by ruttinbuck Add ruttinbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Angela Sawvel
UKC Forum Member

I worm our puppies once a week, starting at 2 weeks of age. We give there first shot at about 5.5 weeks once we ween them completely off there mom. I was always told not to allow them back on mom once that shot is given. Good Luck!

CCH'GrCh4'Pr Rock'in W's Rock On
GrCh4'Pr Rock'in W's Blue Cover Girl

Old Post 11-18-2017 04:26 AM
Angela Sawvel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Angela Sawvel Click here to Send Angela Sawvel a Private Message Click Here to Email Angela Sawvel Find more posts by Angela Sawvel Add Angela Sawvel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Re: puppy vaccinations ?

quote:
Originally posted by ruttinbuck
when should I worm and vaccinate newborn puppies ?

IF MOM IS UP TO DATE, DO NO WORM TILL PUPS EAT ANYTHING THAT IS NOT MOMS MILK, DONT WASTE UR MONEY, IF MOM IS WORM FREE SO ARE PUPS

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 11-18-2017 12:24 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I disagree on the worming. I think it is the most important thing you can do for pups. Start at 3 weeks and worm every two weeks. Most worms are picked up from the ground or living quarters once the pup starts wondering around. I also recommend worming one time with Strongid T and then swapping in two weeks safe guard. Both are cheap and do the job. Hookworms are the worst worm down here on pups and once you see they have them they can be dead in a couple days. They hook themselves to the intentional wall and such the life out of pups.

Old Post 11-18-2017 03:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Worming....

quote:
Originally posted by Angela Sawvel
I worm our puppies once a week, starting at 2 weeks of age. We give there first shot at about 5.5 weeks once we ween them completely off there mom. I was always told not to allow them back on mom once that shot is given. Good Luck!

This is Exactly what I do....Per my Vet.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 11-18-2017 03:42 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Everybody has their own reasons as to when and why for worming and shots.
Anyone that reads my posts by now knows I offer up real life experience and a lot of research .
So my reply here is based on both.

As to shots.

Unless you use the puppy shot that specifically states it OVER RIDES the mothers maternal antibodies you are wasting your time giving any shots until after they have been weaned.This is a reason it is best to have mom up to date on shots before breeding.
It is pretty common practice now to give 5 ways that omit the leptos initially.

Worming. Lots of differing opinions.

Mom can be worm free and still pass on round worms.
ALL adult dogs carry round worms eggs. The stress of whelping causes those eggs to hatch hence the pups are infected through moms milk.
Nemex II ,Strongid,even human pin worm wormer.All the same and extremely safe.Just take care on dosage as they all have different concentrations
I am kind of loathe to worm pups until I begin partially weaning at 4 1/2 weeks to 5 weeks.
The reason is mom is still cleaning up after the pups and she will ingest some of the poo that has worms as well as the wormer. She will actually pass worms as the wormer worms her also as it passes through her digestive tract.
Here is an experience I did recently have with a litter I raised.
The owner had given a heartwormer immediately prior to breeding.
When I wormed the pups at 5 weeks ,not one pup passed any worms.I was greatly concerned as I had never experienced this .I really thought I got a bad batch of wormer or had not dosed properly.
I rewormed taking great care to weights and doses one week later. Still no worms. Three worming later and still no worms from them or mom.

Upon checking the heart wormer used I found it also killed rounds.
Heartwormer generally is good for 30 days so I could only conclude that it killed all hatching rounds before they could be passed and developed in the pups.
So yes, I did raise a worm free litter because of the heartwormer.
Sorry I don't remember the name.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 11-18-2017 at 05:12 PM

Old Post 11-18-2017 05:06 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Worm pups at 2 wks and every 7 to 10 days for the first 6-8 wks...taper off slowly after that but watch pups closely...pale gums on pups means hook worms and like Bruce says...they are deadly on pups...they suck the blood right out of the stomach lining...big round tummy and you can bet the pups are full of round worms...round worms kill slowly by robbing the nutrients from the pups...also if the pups have rounds chances are they have hooks...

The female needs to be treated for worms several times as well to stop or slow the worm cycle down as well...

Vaccines...I have a minimum schedule I follow...but I think it is best for the average dogger to follow recommendations...

Old Post 11-19-2017 12:57 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruttinbuck
UKC Forum Member

pup wormer

Thanks all
I have had good luck with the human pin wormer so I guess I will start that at 3 weeks.

Old Post 11-19-2017 02:52 AM
ruttinbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruttinbuck Click here to Send ruttinbuck a Private Message Click Here to Email ruttinbuck Find more posts by ruttinbuck Add ruttinbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote