UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What's the best 22 rifle to hunt with??
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ruttinbuck
UKC Forum Member

10-22

10-22 with a trigger job . When you get one chance in those big pines it better be a tack driver and I own one.
Love it when others try putting it in there truck after a hunt
like a good dog (speculation on the good dog ) lol .

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2017 12:29 PM
ruttinbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruttinbuck Click here to Send ruttinbuck a Private Message Click Here to Email ruttinbuck Find more posts by ruttinbuck Add ruttinbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbillypaul
UKC Forum Member

single shot. they are they are safer.

Old Post 11-14-2017 04:34 PM
hillbillypaul is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbillypaul Click here to Send hillbillypaul a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbillypaul Find more posts by hillbillypaul Add hillbillypaul to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Old school... nylon 66

Those are too valuable to coon hunt with!

Aim small miss small

Old Post 11-14-2017 08:26 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

If I could find one, Remington nylon 77. Hard to find thou. light weight and tuff as nails. I have a 66 however hate loading and unloading.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 11-14-2017 09:39 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
Those are too valuable to coon hunt with!

You will turn loose a $1,000-$5,000 dog but you think a $200-$500 rifle is too valuable to carry along in your hand?

Old Post 11-14-2017 10:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Gave 105.00 for mine back in 1972 still use it some

Old Post 11-15-2017 12:52 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cliff Thornburg
UKC Forum Member

Sorry pic is so big. I just use a Winchester pump. I just put an eye and used a dog lead for a strap so that when I forget my lead for my dog I can use it on dog until I get back to truck. I also put reflective tape on it some it is easier to find when I leave it at the tree.
After it was stolen after a club hunt and recovered the butt of it was broke off. It has a cavity where stock screws on gun up there so I put some extra shells up there and duct taped over it for emergencies.

Last edited by Cliff Thornburg on 11-15-2017 at 04:14 AM

Old Post 11-15-2017 04:03 AM
Cliff Thornburg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff Thornburg Click here to Send Cliff Thornburg a Private Message Visit Cliff Thornburg's homepage! Find more posts by Cliff Thornburg Add Cliff Thornburg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Looks like you got it going on!!! I like it!!!

Old Post 11-15-2017 12:22 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cliff Thornburg
UKC Forum Member

Thanks! Best of luck to all this season.

Old Post 11-15-2017 08:02 PM
Cliff Thornburg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff Thornburg Click here to Send Cliff Thornburg a Private Message Visit Cliff Thornburg's homepage! Find more posts by Cliff Thornburg Add Cliff Thornburg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BCotton
UKC Forum Member

I treated myself to a new toy this year. Ruger 22 lite pistol with a red dot sight. Topped it off with a suppressor that took 11 months to get permit for. Light, deadly accurate and about as loud as a pellet gun. Still have my Ruger 10/22 rifle from 1987. Accurate and dependable.

Old Post 11-15-2017 08:18 PM
BCotton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BCotton Click here to Send BCotton a Private Message Click Here to Email BCotton Find more posts by BCotton Add BCotton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Raleigh
UKC Forum Member

For what you are looking for the Henry AR-7

PKC GCH CHKC CH Wipeout 3 Bee
(Z3 x Bell)

PKC CH CHKC CH Rush Run Lil
(Nuck x Lilly)

PKC SCH CHKC CH Wipeout Shorty

Past Home of:

2012 FALL SENIOR SS CH.
GRNITECH PKC PLATINUM CH
MISTER OVERDRIVE
(Drive X Missy)

GRNITECH PKC GOLD CH Kate
(Jack X Jill)

2013 IL PKC State Race Ch.
GRNITECH PKC GOLD CH Little Miss Dottie
(Mr.Jack X Bit)

GRNITECH Curlee Jane
2018 UKC Bluetick World Ch
2018 Fall Round Up Ch
2018 Winter Classic Ch
2017 Battle of The Breeds Ch

NITECH 2018 PKC YOUTH WORLD CH PKC SILVER CH Dirty South Side

GRNITECH PKC SILVER CH SKUNA RIVER QUICK
(Fred X Sue)

GRNITECH Stylish Chase
(Clyde X Patty)

GRNITECH PKC SILVER CH Foggy Mtn. Gomer

UKC GrSqCh NKC GrSqCh Dirt Dodge's Jager

Old Post 11-15-2017 08:49 PM
Steve Raleigh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Raleigh Click here to Send Steve Raleigh a Private Message Click Here to Email Steve Raleigh Find more posts by Steve Raleigh Add Steve Raleigh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cliff Thornburg
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Old Post 11-15-2017 10:41 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

A Daisy single shot. Stinger cci shells.

Old Post 11-16-2017 01:30 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UKC Forum Member

Re: Ruger 10/22

quote:
Originally posted by coondog charlie
Add a scope at night & it's deadly accurate.

X2

Walk with Wick..or..Get Treed with Dentre

Old Post 11-16-2017 04:06 PM
1912 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1912 Click here to Send 1912 a Private Message Find more posts by 1912 Add 1912 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Ruger American with the 18" barrel. I am shooting it in .22 Mag and it is great for coons and bobcats. I have a Trijicon RMR sight on it, also great for calling fox.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 11-16-2017 05:09 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RCCH
UKC Forum Member

Laser

I've used a couple different models it's all personal preference. But a laser is a must for me now you don't even have to shoulder the rifle when you get in thick stuff.

Old Post 11-17-2017 02:22 PM
RCCH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RCCH Click here to Send RCCH a Private Message Click Here to Email RCCH Find more posts by RCCH Add RCCH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluestorm
UKC Forum Member

I have a ruger 10-22 and love it. Need to get it sighted in for this season but it is accurate. I put a sling on it and it's got a tasco pro-point red dot scope on it. Traded it for my old bow when I upgraded to a newer bow.

2018 Fred Lingo Memorial & BBOA Zone 4 Championship King of the Hunt
2018 6th place and overall high scoring bluetick, UKC Youth Nationals
2018 BBOA Zone 4 Hunt Dog of the Year
Double Cast Winner at the 2019 National Bluetick Days
2020 UKC world qualifier
CW at bluetick days RQE
Qualified for 2021 UKC world hunt

Old Post 11-17-2017 03:54 PM
bluestorm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluestorm Click here to Send bluestorm a Private Message Click Here to Email bluestorm Find more posts by bluestorm Add bluestorm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Laser

quote:
Originally posted by RCCH
I've used a couple different models it's all personal preference. But a laser is a must for me now you don't even have to shoulder the rifle when you get in thick stuff.
I just got a laser sight. It's great. It's on a 795 Marlin.

Old Post 11-17-2017 09:08 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Van Dusen
UKC Forum Member

I use a Ruger 10/22.If you do it correctly it is as safe as you can get.I carry it with the clips in my pocket,put clip in when knocking a raccoon out,take clip out,work the shell out in my hand,it will fall out the bottom where the clip goes,and reload clip,put clip on my pocket before I ever take a step from where I shot the gun.Simple and safe!

I used a Rossi slide action built on the Winchester model '62 patern for years,they are light and accurate,just like the automatic better.....

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Old Post 11-18-2017 08:48 PM
Mike Van Dusen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Van Dusen Click here to Send Mike Van Dusen a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Van Dusen Find more posts by Mike Van Dusen Add Mike Van Dusen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtdodge
UKC Forum Member

22s

I use a ruger 10-22. Blackhawk collapsible stock, whistle pig barrel a trigger job and use cci subsonic segmented bullets. It has a bsa 3-9x50 with a red light on the cross hair on her too. Very accurate (with the right ammo, some are more accurate than others) very light weight and balanced. It's a lot like the magnum research which is made on the 10-22 patten.

When changing out barrels make sure you get the barrel you want.. some are for subsonic bullet some are high velocity.

I recommend the segmented bullets for subsonic loads. The round nose bullet doesn't have the killing power.

I grew up with a Browning auto 22. Don't remember the model Loaded through the stock and ejected out the bottom. Making it perfect for a south paw. Very accurate and compact.

I also used a .177 pellet gun a few time. They work just as good too.

Old Post 11-18-2017 10:11 PM
dirtdodge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtdodge Click here to Send dirtdodge a Private Message Click Here to Email dirtdodge Find more posts by dirtdodge Add dirtdodge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

I tricked my 10/22 out by replacing the trigger assembly with the new one by Ruger, the stock with the soft feeling Hogue and the barrel with a 22" one from Midway. It is a great rifle for longer range .22 rimfire shooting such as jackrabbits and other small critters.
For coon hunting, I still prefer the Ruger American in the short barrel with the Trijicon RMR sight.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 11-20-2017 02:39 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

22 single shot

My old coonhunting rifle is usually empty. I prefer a single shot. Something easy to put 1 bullet in. Clip fed single shot would be ok too I guess. Anything tube fed is a pain for coonhunting, unless you prefer walking around with a loaded gun, then remembering to unload it every time you move by vehicle.
I really like a scope with good mounts, so it stays accurate. Usually 1 shot and your done, gun is empty again, no worries.
For me the best gun for coonhunting is one you don't care about keeping looking nice. Just a light weight beater that shoots straight.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-20-2017 08:41 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jgandy
UKC Forum Member

Ole queenie done wore out the .22 I hear ya!

Old Post 11-20-2017 11:03 PM
jgandy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jgandy Click here to Send jgandy a Private Message Click Here to Email jgandy Find more posts by jgandy Add jgandy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muzzymomentless
UKC Forum Member

Savage

Savage has a fifty dollar mail in rebate going right now. Just ordered a rascal for my grandson.

Old Post 11-20-2017 11:20 PM
muzzymomentless is offline Click Here to See the Profile for muzzymomentless Click here to Send muzzymomentless a Private Message Click Here to Email muzzymomentless Find more posts by muzzymomentless Add muzzymomentless to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote