UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What's the best 22 rifle to hunt with??
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JPRITCHARD
UKC Forum Member

What's the best 22 rifle to hunt with??

I'm in the market for a 22 rifle to coon hunt with and wanted to get everyone's opinion on what works best for them. I'm wanting something very lite weight and dependable.
Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-13-2017 02:43 PM
JPRITCHARD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JPRITCHARD Click here to Send JPRITCHARD a Private Message Find more posts by JPRITCHARD Add JPRITCHARD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dave01
UKC Forum Member

jan, savage rascal with a cricket scope,,, hard to beat

Old Post 11-13-2017 02:47 PM
dave01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dave01 Click here to Send dave01 a Private Message Click Here to Email dave01 Find more posts by dave01 Add dave01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Ruger American

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 11-13-2017 02:59 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

anything with a folding stock and a good shotgun scope on it!

Old Post 11-13-2017 03:05 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondog charlie
UKC Forum Member

Ruger 10/22

Add a scope at night & it's deadly accurate.

Old Post 11-13-2017 03:20 PM
coondog charlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondog charlie Click here to Send coondog charlie a Private Message Find more posts by coondog charlie Add coondog charlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MarvinRooffener
UKC Forum Member

Lever action with scope, then you can leave a dead cartridge in the chamber when carrying to the next tree.

Old Post 11-13-2017 03:33 PM
MarvinRooffener is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MarvinRooffener Click here to Send MarvinRooffener a Private Message Click Here to Email MarvinRooffener Find more posts by MarvinRooffener Add MarvinRooffener to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Marlin XT22 tube feed, shots shorts, long and long rifle. Bolt action, which I prefer over semi auto. I put a BSA sweet 22 scope on mine and it's a tack driver. Total cost was in the $250-$275 range.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 11-13-2017 03:40 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chad west
UKC Forum Member

Remington 521 S bolt action. It shoots them all s,l,lr,clip feed. I've got a shotgun scope on mine deadly accurate. I like it being clip feed when I'm done shooting just pull the clip out an go.

'NITECH' WEST'S REPO COLLECTOR
    GRNITECH PKC CH WEST'S BIG JIM TREE JAMMER{RIP}

Old Post 11-13-2017 03:57 PM
chad west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chad west Click here to Send chad west a Private Message Find more posts by chad west Add chad west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Everyone has their own personal preference. What do you value the most.... weight, size, accuracy, quite/loud, magazine, action (pump/lever/auto/single), price... You have to decide for yourself which is best. Everyone likes something different.

Old Post 11-13-2017 04:00 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Everyone has their own personal preference. What do you value the most.... weight, size, accuracy, quite/loud, magazine, action (pump/lever/auto/single), price... You have to decide for yourself which is best. Everyone likes something different.

Kinda like dogs, hard to pinpoint a majority. 😆

Old Post 11-13-2017 04:02 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Magnum Research

It's a 10/22 with a carbon fiber barrel. Put a decent scope on it. And use quality ammo, and you'll be extremely happy. Without the scope it weighs around 3.25 lbs. So with a scope it'll be in the 4 lb range.

Old Post 11-13-2017 04:43 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Rossi Single shot with scope and I have a 410/22 savage single shot that is heavy to carry but the 410 side of things can make them look.

Old Post 11-13-2017 06:12 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Thompson center makes a single shot looks just like encore small light whether an load with gloves on deadly accurate!

Old Post 11-13-2017 06:51 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Has anyone hunted with the new Ruger 10-22 Magpul X-22 Back packer stock with a GEMTECH mist-22 barrell?

The barrel is actually a silencer! I am not a semi-auto guy, but that sure looks and sounds cool.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 11-13-2017 07:37 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Potomac

Thompson's rifle you mentioned is called a hotshot (I I have one and they are very nice, light and accurate ) andI they do not make the Hotshot any longer. You might find a used one although I doubt it as Ihave have not seen any at any of the gun shows or gun shops. Dave

Old Post 11-13-2017 08:50 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

After losing the second bolt out of my remington 581 i've hunted with since 1983 i broke down and bought a new rifle for coon hunting..

Traditions Crackshot break action 22 with a scope rail..$187 delivered to my FFL and it's a pretty nice little rig.. Very light, short and accurate.

Old Post 11-13-2017 09:07 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Old school... nylon 66

Old Post 11-13-2017 09:09 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duke20002000
UKC Forum Member

My favorite gun was a henery
Lever action with scope
I use a mossburg clip feed with a
3x9x40 scope
A scope is a must for me

Old Post 11-13-2017 09:45 PM
duke20002000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duke20002000 Click here to Send duke20002000 a Private Message Click Here to Email duke20002000 Find more posts by duke20002000 Add duke20002000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

Marlin XT-22YR, bolt action, 7 round magazine, compact and light. UTG red laser sight.

Old Post 11-13-2017 11:22 PM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Old school... nylon 66
STILL TOTING MY NYLON 66 AFTER ALL THESE YEARS

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 11-14-2017 12:29 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beardogdave
UKC Forum Member

ruger 10-22

Old Post 11-14-2017 01:06 AM
beardogdave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for beardogdave Click here to Send beardogdave a Private Message Click Here to Email beardogdave Find more posts by beardogdave Add beardogdave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Some of the old school stuff hard to beat....old wheat light 5100 head nylon 66.. pretty good combination...lol

Old Post 11-14-2017 01:47 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

The 10-22 is a great rifle, its dependable and accurate and way to heavy to carry around coon hunting. You want light and easy to carry get a pistol and put a laser sight on it. If you have to have a rifle get a nylon 66.

Or a Henry US Survival AR-7 Rifle.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Last edited by joey on 11-14-2017 at 05:13 AM

Old Post 11-14-2017 04:43 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

If I carry a full size rifle carry a magnum research with carbon fiber barell. 95% of the time carry a cricket with a litte red laser. Light short and no aiming required when the leaves are on and all you get is a glimpse of an eye just point and fire. No aiming required

Old Post 11-14-2017 05:10 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronnie H
UKC Forum Member

Plinkster

I have two plinksters 702 auto and a 802 bolt action with a scope both have done me well for a beat through the woods 22

Old Post 11-14-2017 05:42 AM
Ronnie H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronnie H Click here to Send Ronnie H a Private Message Click Here to Email Ronnie H Find more posts by Ronnie H Add Ronnie H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote