UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Test Before You Buy A Hound
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Test Before You Buy A Hound

It's bad that you can't take a persons word on the type of hound they have for sale, but now with all the thyroid and Ehrlichiosis I would now say before buying a hound take it to a vet have them run test for both... Thyroid and Ehrlichiosis..

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-01-2017 12:38 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

and hartworms.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-01-2017 12:48 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

And go with them to make sure they take the dog you are buying not a different dog to an unsuspecting vet I learned that the hard way.

Old Post 08-01-2017 01:20 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

This is about the way I see it...

I try to never buy a grown dog because it usually is someone's cull...

If buying a pup I want to see the whole litter...and possibly buy at least two pups...

But the preferred method is to raise my own litter of pups and test and select what I believe will be the best...this way I get to see how they act as well...

It is pretty sad that so many folks will try to pull a fast one on his fellow man...and yet they are probably the first to cast a stone on crooked dog trades and sales...

Old Post 08-01-2017 03:10 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
This is about the way I see it...

I try to never buy a grown dog because it usually is someone's cull...

If buying a pup I want to see the whole litter...and possibly buy at least two pups...

But the preferred method is to raise my own litter of pups and test and select what I believe will be the best...this way I get to see how they act as well...

It is pretty sad that so many folks will try to pull a fast one on his fellow man...and yet they are probably the first to cast a stone on crooked dog trades and sales...

x2, no one appreciates being cheated. There are some out there that enjoy doing these type of things to people.they feel entitled to do these deeds because of all the self proclaimed work they believe they do with coonhounds, breeding, coonhunting,etc;so they cheat people,and it ain't just in selling dogs either. They actually believe their cheating is right, like their gods of the coonhound sport,Lol.

Old Post 08-13-2017 01:00 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Never trust a coon hunter they are generally as a rule scum, there are some real good people that coon hunt but they are few and far between.

Old Post 08-13-2017 01:06 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

Honestly I think I do as much research on the man selling the dog as I do on the dog itself. I then judge if he's an honest man or not, if he's fooled people before etc etc.

Old Post 08-13-2017 01:53 AM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by firebird
Honestly I think I do as much research on the man selling the dog as I do on the dog itself. I then judge if he's an honest man or not, if he's fooled people before etc etc.
100%truth...also after several years of hunting, going to hunts, plus different computer sights, you know who you can deal with and who to stay away from.

Old Post 08-13-2017 03:43 AM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

First thing I do is go back and look through the guys posts here, you can get a feeling how hard they blow on here or if they've posted questions or concerns about the very dog for sale prior to listing it. Then if I talk to the person on the phone I'll ask for some references, I don't care if a reference is the neighbour kid who tags along. Then I double check the sellers story. If I go as far as seeing the papers, I will call the owners of the site and dam and the person who weened the dog (if it's someone different). I'll ask for information on littermates and talk to those people etc.

I'll get a good idea if the seller is fairly accurate in his representation before I even lay eyes on the dog.

Just recently I saw a dog for sale and called the guy, he didn't have papers and wasn't going to give me the guys name or number he bought the dog from (I was going to see if I could get the papers) and then I asked for some references for people who've seen the dog hunt and he wouldn't give me any. So it was a pretty short conversation. I then proceeded to tell all my friends who it was and what happened.

A long time ago I went through the procedure and went up to trial a hound. Everything was sounding good. I loaded up the dog and the guys wife Was pulling in the lane said something like "I'm so glad that stupid dog is leaving, my husband can't stand his inconsistency". Lmao. For the price he wanted for the dog I unloaded it and put him back on the chain. I don't think the man realized what happened because he was in the back yard when his wife pulled in.

Old Post 08-13-2017 09:19 AM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
Never trust a coon hunter they are generally as a rule scum...

Oh my goodness... Then why do you coonhunt or hang out with such scum?

Old Post 08-13-2017 03:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Well I sure as heck don't hang with the redbone crowd, and like I said there are a few good ones just not many. Coonhunting world is full of dog jockeys.

Old Post 08-13-2017 04:39 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Only half of them lie the other half don't know the difference lol. I won't buy a dog from anybody that won't tell me what the dogs faults are.

Old Post 08-13-2017 05:23 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Only half of them lie the other half don't know the difference lol. I won't buy a dog from anybody that won't tell me what the dogs faults are.

Now there is lots of truth in that... not knowing the difference...if he can describe to you what a good dog is at least you can rule that out...

Old Post 08-13-2017 05:30 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness... Then why do you coonhunt or hang out with such scum?
Lol, somebody has to keep them about half way straight or they'll ruin our beloved sport completely with their self proclaimed entitlements for the prosperity of coonhounds that entitles them to rob and cheat people.

Old Post 08-13-2017 06:35 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

These are not faults you can see until you get the dog home and start hunting him and the meds he was on start to wear off. I got $500 in vet bills now trying to fight off Ehrlichiosis

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 08-13-2017 08:33 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

I'm guessing you can't take the dog back?

Old Post 08-13-2017 09:08 PM
firebird
UKC Forum Member

I've got a good story happened to my good friend

He bought a young female just under 2 and paid good money for her, more than I would have. Anyways the fellow (we will call dog jokey) had 2 females for sale, littermates, and he was thinking about both but just bought the one. We will call them female A and female B.

So my friends got female A running real well and was happy and had told the previous owner. Dog jokey told him that the female, female B, was also doing great. My friend asked if dog jokey would sell her still. My friend was told "no" "this is a one in a lifetime female B" etc.

Then my friend had had female A get out when she was in heat and worried that she got bred by a boxer mut down the road. So he had her spayed right away.

A few months later the dog jokey calls my friend and says "I'd like to breed a male to female A, I want to buy her back". My friend then tells him female A is spayed. Dog jokey then goes on about how great female B is and how happy he is and what a wonder dog blah blah blah and how he thinks she is better than female A. Myself and my friend were wonder why the hell doesn't he breed female B if she's so good.

Another couple months go by and my friend gets a phone call that Female B is for sale. But about 3 times the price now that my friend paid for female A.

I told him to do some digging on the dog and find out from some other people what female B was doing.

Turns out female B was nowhere near the talent of female A, and the dog jokey was really trying to unload her for any money he could. So he was playing my friend. Trying to get him to pay triple for garbage.

Old Post 08-13-2017 09:25 PM
Coots72 I
UKC Forum Member

I love the ones that put a dog on here for sale then get mad when you ask them questions about them and immediately call you a tirekicker that's when I tell them to just keep their junk and hang up. If you don't want to describe the dog then don't advertise them.

Old Post 08-14-2017 12:52 AM
Coots72 I is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coots72 I Click here to Send Coots72 I a Private Message Click Here to Email Coots72 I Find more posts by Coots72 I Add Coots72 I to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Well I hate selling a dog, and trying to describe it. Would much rather take you hunting and then you can make up your mind if you think it will suit you.

Old Post 08-14-2017 12:55 AM
Coots72 I
UKC Forum Member

I atleast need a description before I drive several hours to see him go If you are honest your description and his actions in the woods should match up.

Old Post 08-14-2017 12:58 AM
Coots72 I is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coots72 I Click here to Send Coots72 I a Private Message Click Here to Email Coots72 I Find more posts by Coots72 I Add Coots72 I to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I've sold a few dogs in the last few years I also train dogs for the public not to mention run the hunts that I feel I'm ready for. With that being said I don't think theirs nothing I ain't heard nor seen personally. Not only the sport but the world as a whole is in an awful state. So much alot start beleive​in their own lies.
The #1 question is can u handle the truth? Believe it or not but alot of folks want it until they get it. I've knocked myself from $,$$$'s of dollars just because I had to tell the truth. Sometimes I'm not real good at discribeing a dog I have one about any man on the planet would love to have and if u call asking about him u wouldn't give me $20 for him. Their all dogs and BELIEVE IT they all do dumb stuff no dog is perfect and no man is perfect. The way I see it if I call a man and he sets and talks about how good this dog is for 20 mins he's a lier!! I can't come up with 3 solid mins of good stuff to say about every dog I've ever owned, but I'll talk your head off about how they should do this but instead they do that, it's much easier for me to tell the bad than it is the good!! But when u do that the guy calling doesn't put his boots on to even come look. Sold a female I had on here a few weeks ago and that fellor put his boots on and told me he had bought several dogs off here in the past but never has met a fellor queit like myself. I tell it like it is %100 weather I'm saleing or hunting your dog. I'll tell u before u get here don't expect me to kiss your hind end cause it ain't happening.
But buyer beware!!! Theirs alot of them out there that will tell u anything u want to hear to get them bill of sales in your hands then it seems their numbers change and they lose all contacts to the hound community and next thing u know they on here with different names. To each his own. But ALWAYS I REAPEAT ALWAYS go look at the dog u are buying weather it's from me or your brother.

Old Post 08-14-2017 01:09 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
I've sold a few dogs in the last few years I also train dogs for the public not to mention run the hunts that I feel I'm ready for. With that being said I don't think theirs nothing I ain't heard nor seen personally. Not only the sport but the world as a whole is in an awful state. So much alot start beleive​in their own lies.
The #1 question is can u handle the truth? Believe it or not but alot of folks want it until they get it. I've knocked myself from $,$$$'s of dollars just because I had to tell the truth. Sometimes I'm not real good at discribeing a dog I have one about any man on the planet would love to have and if u call asking about him u wouldn't give me $20 for him. Their all dogs and BELIEVE IT they all do dumb stuff no dog is perfect and no man is perfect. The way I see it if I call a man and he sets and talks about how good this dog is for 20 mins he's a lier!! I can't come up with 3 solid mins of good stuff to say about every dog I've ever owned, but I'll talk your head off about how they should do this but instead they do that, it's much easier for me to tell the bad than it is the good!! But when u do that the guy calling doesn't put his boots on to even come look. Sold a female I had on here a few weeks ago and that fellor put his boots on and told me he had bought several dogs off here in the past but never has met a fellor queit like myself. I tell it like it is %100 weather I'm saleing or hunting your dog. I'll tell u before u get here don't expect me to kiss your hind end cause it ain't happening.
But buyer beware!!! Theirs alot of them out there that will tell u anything u want to hear to get them bill of sales in your hands then it seems their numbers change and they lose all contacts to the hound community and next thing u know they on here with different names. To each his own. But ALWAYS I REAPEAT ALWAYS go look at the dog u are buying weather it's from me or your brother.

Very true I've probably talked more potential buyers out of dogs I've had for sale than anything.

Old Post 08-14-2017 01:18 AM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I too buying or selling. will tell like it is. I have found that if they instantly tell how Christ like they are, HANG UP.

Old Post 08-14-2017 01:34 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

OLE HOSS

Clean out yer mailbox

Old Post 08-14-2017 01:51 AM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Re: OLE HOSS

quote:
Originally posted by RatDog
Clean out yer mailbox

Should be clear now

Old Post 08-14-2017 06:51 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote