UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > weight on a dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
trevor0432
UKC Forum Member

weight on a dog

I have a dog that I can not get weight on. He eats fine and I'm feeding more than the recommended amount. It's hi fat and hi protien with good calorie count. What's everybody's opinions on what to do next? He has been wormed and all shots up to date.

'PR' Trevors Light Em Up Blaze HTX (Grandnite CH Tucker`s Boomer x Nite CH CanDew Blue Misty HTx)

'PR' Dreamers Blue Willow (Grantnite CH Ty and Hunters Big Boy Blue x PR Dozers Dreamer)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-18-2018 03:12 PM
trevor0432 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trevor0432 Click here to Send trevor0432 a Private Message Click Here to Email trevor0432 Find more posts by trevor0432 Add trevor0432 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Sprinkle over what ever feed your feeding and watch them grow!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 08-18-2018 04:25 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

If you have ruled out any medical issues. I would look at another feed. I don’t know what you’re feeding but just because it says hi fat hi protein doesn’t mean that the dog is able to absorb and break down and get all of the nutrients.0

Old Post 08-18-2018 05:37 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

corn

Whatever dog food your feeding mix in 1 cup of dog food containing the dreaded corn. I use Diamond .I believe its 24-20. But it will make them run hotter.

Old Post 08-18-2018 05:44 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

My 2 cents worth... aside from supplements like Mr. TIM has recommended or the recipe for satin balls that can be found on here by a search. #1 make sure your dog is worm free especially tape worms that can be hard to eliminate if you are not using the right wormer many don't get tapes or you don't re-dose in 21 days breaking the life cycle. I recommend getting some Drontal Plus or equivalent the active ingredient to look for is praziquantel, dose according to weight then give a second treatment 21 days later. Be sure to keep your dog absolutely flea free or tapes will be back. #2 feed a lower protein diet with a higher fat like a 20/20 as opposed to a 26/18 or 24/20 or higher protein. Think about if you went on a high protein lower carb/fat diet what would happen, you would loose weight some dogs need the extra fat and calories to maintain weight just like people. Put out an automatic feeder for a bit his eating should level off after a few days and see what happens.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 08-18-2018 at 08:52 PM

Old Post 08-18-2018 08:48 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

I would seriously think about the dog food,,I whiched to a cheaper dog food since I wasn't hardly hunting,,it was a high protein and fat food,,,Within 1 1/2-2 months,,she was looking like sh
Kin and bones,,put are back on same old food(diamond lamb and rice)and she is back to her old fat and sassy self again,,
I would try another dog food if she has been cleaned out of all worms.

Browns Wild Irish Rose(Tequila Sunrise x Stylish Abagal)
Browns Stylish Buddy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup
Browns Stylish Sissy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup

Old Post 08-19-2018 02:06 AM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

I would seriously think about the dog food,,I whiched to a cheaper dog food since I wasn't hardly hunting,,it was a high protein and fat food,,,Within 1 1/2-2 months,,she was looking like sh
Kin and bones,,put are back on same old food(diamond lamb and rice)and she is back to her old fat and sassy self again,,
I would try another dog food if she has been cleaned out of all worms.

Browns Wild Irish Rose(Tequila Sunrise x Stylish Abagal)
Browns Stylish Buddy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup
Browns Stylish Sissy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup

Old Post 08-19-2018 02:06 AM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

??

Does your dog pace back n forth in the kennel ? I had one a few years ago that paced all day everyday, it was hard as heck to put weight on and I tried everything under the sun .

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 08-19-2018 05:17 AM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trevor0432
UKC Forum Member

Thanks everyone. Yes he paces all day long. That could be a reason, didn't think of that.

'PR' Trevors Light Em Up Blaze HTX (Grandnite CH Tucker`s Boomer x Nite CH CanDew Blue Misty HTx)

'PR' Dreamers Blue Willow (Grantnite CH Ty and Hunters Big Boy Blue x PR Dozers Dreamer)

Old Post 08-19-2018 12:28 PM
trevor0432 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trevor0432 Click here to Send trevor0432 a Private Message Click Here to Email trevor0432 Find more posts by trevor0432 Add trevor0432 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Skinny dog

Any treated lumber he is in contact with? It has arsenic in. It effects dogs cattle and horses differently on individual basis. If ingested or absorbed in small amounts. Small amount for a 500 pound calf would prob. kill a dog. Have had 2 cases with calves before I got smart enough to get rid of all treated lumber. Had 2 calves same age same size. Both eating great one gaining one loosing weight. Noticed small specks of blood in manure. Also seen then licking treated plywood. After removing plywood blood disappeared and weight gain started. Just sharing my experience.

Old Post 08-19-2018 06:00 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Skinny dog

Any treated lumber he is in contact with? It has arsenic in. It effects dogs cattle and horses differently on individual basis. If ingested or absorbed in small amounts. Small amount for a 500 pound calf would prob. kill a dog. Have had 2 cases with calves before I got smart enough to get rid of all treated lumber. Had 2 calves same age same size. Both eating great one gaining one loosing weight. Noticed small specks of blood in manure. Also seen then licking treated plywood. After removing plywood blood disappeared and weight gain started. Just sharing my experience.

Old Post 08-19-2018 06:00 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Re: ??

quote:
Originally posted by B&Ttreed2017
Does your dog pace back n forth in the kennel ? I had one a few years ago that paced all day everyday, it was hard as heck to put weight on and I tried everything under the sun .

I got one like this . Shes a small dog about 35 lbs. HIGH strung and paces ALL THE TIME !!! I have her on a chain on dirt and it is hard as concrete !! I feed her more than any other dog on my place and the rest are twice her size.
Put her on a shorter chain or in a smaller pen may help as well.

Old Post 08-20-2018 08:20 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote