UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > scoring question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

scoring question

3 dog cast . A, B, and C. Dogs catch a coon on the ground. Dogs A and B dogs come back to cast before cast arrived at the coon and were handled. dog C stayed with coon until the cast arrived.

Score the dogs.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-14-2018 06:29 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

when you say came into cast how far did they come in? 10 ft? 50 yds? 100 yds?

Old Post 08-14-2018 06:32 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

It's unnatural for a dog to catch a coon on the ground. I mean, it happens but some dogs wont act right after. And you also have to consider the fact that some dogs fight over a dead coon.

Unfortunately, if they come into the cast and are struck in they would get their strike minused. Don't see any other thing you could do. Bad break

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 08-14-2018 06:37 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

handled

you must have been close enough to know that A and B were there or you would not have handled them !! if so plus all 3 on strike !! in order they were struck !!

Old Post 08-14-2018 06:47 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Hennessy, I'm gona take another stab at the rules questions.

My answer would be to plus all 3 dogs strike, because only one of them has to show end the trail in that situation?? Also goin on the fact you say they came to cast and were handled, I'm guessing it was a short distance.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Last edited by jkidd1 on 08-14-2018 at 07:06 PM

Old Post 08-14-2018 07:04 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

What if it was a possum .... ¿
One dog or all 3 take the hit....¿

Old Post 08-14-2018 08:04 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogwhisper

Minus all 3 dogs if registered cast, scratch if champion cast. Dave

Old Post 08-14-2018 08:17 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

True story...
I was in a major breed hunt. Four dog cast, all dogs struck and trailing in a cornfield but not together. My dog caught a coon, fought and killed it while other 3 dogs were trailing. Just as we got to her 2 of the dogs came to us. The handler of the third dog who was judgeing ran his down and caught it about 50 yds away. They plussed all 4 dogs strike. I questioned it but MOH said all 4 dogs get plussed strike points.

Old Post 08-14-2018 09:24 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

The dogs came about 75 yds. back to cast members and were handled. I wasn't at the hunt was just asked if it was handled right. All three dogs were plussed.

Old Post 08-15-2018 02:20 AM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hennessey
The dogs came about 75 yds. back to cast members and were handled. I wasn't at the hunt was just asked if it was handled right. All three dogs were plussed.

That is something that is going to be up to the judge. At 75 yards on my cast would be way to far.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-15-2018 03:05 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd_Miller
UKC Forum Member

were they handled under judges authority or order?? If not scratch and at very least minused

Old Post 08-16-2018 03:45 PM
Todd_Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd_Miller Click here to Send Todd_Miller a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd_Miller Find more posts by Todd_Miller Add Todd_Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Richard in your scenario I can not believe they all got plussed. I can understand the 2 that came in to the coon,but the one that was ran down there's no way

Old Post 08-20-2018 05:56 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That is what I thought. My dog caught the coon. Theirs just came in there. But MOH said that it was like a hole. If one dog caught the coon then they all got their strike plussed. I thought that it didn't make any sense.

Old Post 08-21-2018 12:57 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
That is what I thought. My dog caught the coon. Theirs just came in there. But MOH said that it was like a hole. If one dog caught the coon then they all got their strike plussed. I thought that it didn't make any sense.

A lot of people misunderstand the hole rule. It says only one dog has to be showing the hole. That means only one has to have its head in it, barking in it ect...... That doesn't mean the other are allowed to be milling around.

Home Of:

Old Post 08-21-2018 03:14 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.Fox
UKC Forum Member

You could have 300 people answer your question and probably get 300 different answers. The key to the question is were they dogs A B and C struck in ? Thats they Key question. If yes then dog C with coon takes + on strike and dog A and B are minused. If not struck in then all stay at previous positions.
Had this happen a few times over the years.

GRNITE BIG HORN CRUISE ( RIP)
GRNITE LONE PINE BOZO (SEMEN) NOT FORSALE
GRNITE WILD IMPY (RIP)
CHNITECH CROSS E'S WILD WILMA
CH HTX WILD DAISY
912 223 9085

Old Post 08-21-2018 03:48 AM
J.Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.Fox Click here to Send J.Fox a Private Message Click Here to Email J.Fox Find more posts by J.Fox Add J.Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J.Fox
You could have 300 people answer your question and probably get 300 different answers.....

So, how do you know which answer is the correct one?

Old Post 08-21-2018 12:35 PM
J.Fox
UKC Forum Member

quote:
So, how do you know which answer is the correct one?

Lol you dont just like in the hunts.

GRNITE WILD IMPY (RIP)
CH HTX WILD DAISY
912 223 9085

Old Post 08-21-2018 01:47 PM
J.Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.Fox Click here to Send J.Fox a Private Message Click Here to Email J.Fox Find more posts by J.Fox Add J.Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

I can tell you that this situation cannot be found in the rules or in either advisor. So it would have to be a judgement call. I can tell you that my MOH license # is 127 and this situation has never been brought back to me. This actually happened on a hunt recently and in my opinion it was the right decision because all dogs helped catch the coon and the 2 dogs came right back to the handlers, even though it was a distance. Remember it wasn't a hole, or a tree, they never quit the track because they were there when it ended, also if it would have been off game all 3 dogs would get minus pts, or scratched if honest JUDGEMENT was used. JMO. If you didn't agree with my ruling you can always take it further.

Old Post 08-21-2018 03:41 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If a possum is caught and only one dog is there, I can guarantee the other handlers are not going to let you minus or scratch their dogs. They are going to swear that their dog was not there. Can you just imagine a handler running his dog down and dragging him back to a possum?

Old Post 08-21-2018 03:52 PM
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
If a possum is caught and only one dog is there, I can guarantee the other handlers are not going to let you minus or scratch their dogs. They are going to swear that their dog was not there. Can you just imagine a handler running his dog down and dragging him back to a possum?

Richard, if you noticed I said HONEST JUDGEMENT. In the example you posted. If I was the MOH I would have minused the dog that had to be run down. Judgement call.
If it was determined that all dogs caught the possum, which shouldn't be that hard, minus or scratch if Ch.
Until people refuse to go along with circling slick trees, calling time out (dogs running junk out of country)and deleting strike pts, adding coons to score, etc. this will never end cast members MUST start to question things that they know are wrong, but nobody wants to be called a whinner, will it ever happen? You tell me. Most of the time anymore the only cast member that come back to the club house is the cast winner.

Old Post 08-21-2018 04:49 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Joey I don't think you could minus dogs if there milling at a hole with one dog showing.

Old Post 08-21-2018 08:02 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pttm08
UKC Forum Member

So I am trying to picture this scenario because I actually had this happen at Grand American 6 years ago. I was fairly new to competition hunting at the time but was chosen to judge.
All 4 dogs cut all opened and were struck. Few minutes later all dogs came back into the cast. I minused all dogs then. I did not wait to see if they killed anything. I did turn out that they caught and killed a possum on the ground. However when they come back to the cast they took minus then.
So I would say the two that came back to the cast ( because 75 yards away you can not tell what happened) are minus and dog C gets his strike.

Home of

PR CH Big Blue Buster HTX
PR CH Angle Plantation's Red Jasper

Let's get Ticked

Old Post 08-21-2018 08:19 PM
pttm08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pttm08 Click here to Send pttm08 a Private Message Click Here to Email pttm08 Find more posts by pttm08 Add pttm08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.Fox
UKC Forum Member

How did a Possum get brought up in this ? The question never said anything about a possum hole or any off game ?? It was a Coon. Lacking was whether all dogs or some were or were not struck in. Like I said ask 300 people you will get 300 different answers.

GRNITE WILD IMPY (RIP)
CH HTX WILD DAISY
912 223 9085

Old Post 08-21-2018 08:36 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
Joey I don't think you could minus dogs if there milling at a hole with one dog showing.

Its going to be a judgement call on whats to far but the rule was never intended to let dogs just be milling around but that's how its used.

Home Of:

Old Post 08-21-2018 11:22 PM