UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Project coondog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Project coondog

Over the last few years I have been out of the game so to speak...trying to make a living and raise a family and ALL that entails. Recently, I decided I felt like cranking back up and trying to get another pup started. A couple of my good friends decided to go on the same journey with me. I started getting back on the message boards and I have been amazed at how dead the message board for the redbones has been over the last few months as I have started trying to catch up with current news, crosses, etc. This weekend my ‘team’ and I were fortunate enough to add 4 new prospects to our kennels.

I decided to start a thread here on the message board to track the progress of these prospects as we try to let them grow into coondogs. Maybe everyone can get some enjoyment out of following along. None of my team considers any of us to be ‘pro’ handlers/trainers by any stretch. We are just normal people who share a common interest in doing all we can to have a good redbone...a coondog first and foremost, and with a little luck a hound that compete competitively.

I suppose some people will poke fun at me for this thread. That’s okay. The main reason I am interested in doing this is just to document the progress of these young dogs and hopefully stir more interest on the message board and the redbone breed in general. I know there are many others in my area and across the US that share the goals I have of helping the redbone breed be competitive. I hear people talk about some that are jealous or not willing to help other groups/teams within the redbone breed. We have to get past all of that. This is not a place for any of those discussions to take place. So with that, please follow along if you would like and if not, that’s fine also. If at any time you have questions, let me know. If our team can do anything to help anyone else, please let me know.

Stay tuned for progress posts on our prospects. I should be able to post somewhat of a progress report every week or two. Thanks for following along.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-28-2019 02:43 AM
After Hours is offline Click Here to See the Profile for After Hours Click here to Send After Hours a Private Message Find more posts by After Hours Add After Hours to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

I'll enjoy following along! Good luck, give us some info on the hounds purchased. Thanks and good luck.

Adam

Old Post 10-28-2019 01:04 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, another "team"...... The After Hours Team.....
You will have to include some pictures of course.

Old Post 10-28-2019 01:32 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

Nice, I would like to know what bloodlines you've decided to to give a try.

Old Post 10-28-2019 02:02 PM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

Good luck with your new pups, I look forward to reading about their progress.

Old Post 10-28-2019 04:40 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Adam & ING 194

For the time being I am not going to say what the puppies are out of. Why? Well, what they are out of is important to me...but it wouldn’t change anything I am going to do as far as training goes...just suffice it to say, there is plenty of potential in these prospects. If anyone follows along that knows what pups I have, please keep it under your hat for the time being. The purpose of this thread is not to show off the pups out of a certain line, but instead to simply track progress of them as we try to help them become coon dogs. Please don’t take any of this the wrong way guys- people start getting biased when they know what lines pups are out of...so I am simply
Not willing to say at this time. Maybe I will tell once they reach certain milestones...haven’t thought it thru completely yet. Thank you for the interest and comments. Stick with me and let’s see what we learn thru the process.

Old Post 10-28-2019 11:12 PM
After Hours is offline Click Here to See the Profile for After Hours Click here to Send After Hours a Private Message Find more posts by After Hours Add After Hours to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Day 1- 10-28-2019

I have one puppy at my house, the other three pups are at other team members houses. Started some minor groundwork stuff today. Daughter needed to practice shooting for youth deer season this coming wknd, so I had her shoot the 22 LR to start getting puppy used to gun fire. Very bold acting pup and he did not flinch one single time. Was all around our feet as she shot 20 times.

I am trying to teach my daughter Some of this stuff as we go. So I talked a lot today about how I want to ‘talk’ to the puppy. And how the way I talk to the puppy now will go into his memory. I like to use what a good friend of mine calls a gruff voice or a praising voice. Gruff voice is used when puppy is doing something bad, praising voice is used when puppy is doing something good or pleasing. So I practiced both voices minimally today when the opportunity presented itself. Also introduced puppy to playing with a drag. Just feel like if the drag cloth is used to play with him, he will associate it with ‘fun’ times and later on when I make drags for him it will be ‘fun’ for him to hunt those drag cloths up. I did add some coon scent to the drag cloth to start scent association also. We played with the pup and drag around the house for 30 minutes or so. Spent about 5 minutes seeing if pup would Use his nose to try to find drag. Test was passed with puppy using nose and obviously changing course when crossing the drag trail. Successful start. Stay tuned.

Richard Lambert- I did not get pictures today, but I will get pictures along the way.

Blake Wheeler- Thank you for the comments. It appears you have a nice hound in Maxx.

Old Post 10-28-2019 11:24 PM
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

Not to bad for the first day. My only reason for the bloodline was to see if the pups were heavy line bred.

Old Post 10-29-2019 06:32 PM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tad Banks
UKC Forum Member

Project puppy

Could you tell us what state you live in and will you be training on private or public land Thanks

Old Post 10-29-2019 09:08 PM
Tad Banks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tad Banks Click here to Send Tad Banks a Private Message Find more posts by Tad Banks Add Tad Banks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Tad Banks

I am located in Arkansas. Most, if not all, of the training that takes place early on will take place on private land. I am fortunate to live on a small cattle farm where most of the training will happen.

Once we progress to actual hunting, there will be some trips taken to private land.

Didn’t get much accomplished today besides general exercise. Work around the farm got in the way and it started raining.

ING 194- Technically, only one of these pups would be classified as being linebred.

Old Post 10-30-2019 02:46 AM
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Training today

It has been a couple weeks since I have posted anything. All 4 puppies are doing fine according to reports from my buddies. The male puppy at my house has been named LUCKY. We haven’t done a lot of intense training over the last 10 days or so. We have been somewhat sidetracked with work and working on the farm. The shorter days are challenging the system. Last wknd, we took Lucky with us to a friends cabin for the youth deer hunt. My 7 year old bagged her first deer! Exciting times. Lucky behaved like a gentleman the entire wknd. Stayed in the cabin with us in his kennel during sleeping hours and mostly on the couch when everyone wasn’t hunting. I guess you could say he was getting a little spoiled. Just feel like the more time he spends right beside me(or anyone), the quicker he will learn proper manners. He was very laid back and mature acting for the most part. Every day when I get home from work I get him out of his kennel and let him tag along for the farm chores to be done. He normally runs behind the 4 wheeler checking cows and gets a ton of exercise. Yesterday evening I worked with Lucky on a drag. Used some coon scent on an old rag and attached a hot dog to it. My hope is that as he plays with the drag and gets to nibble at the hot dog he associates that scent with fun and reward. I realize the coon scent I use might not be ‘accurate’ or as good as a real coon, but it is more about him getting associated with that scent. As I train him, and as I progress into turning a couple coons loose for him, I will actually apply that same coon scent to those turned loose coons. He did show some ability to find the ‘track’ and run the track for a little way. I basically put him in a dog box and use my rag drag and drag a straight line for about 10 yds and then hang the drag cloth up off ground where he can barely reach it. Yesterday on the first run I hung it on a cattle corral panel and the second run I hung it on an electrical pole. I wetted the cloth and then applied coon scent and tied the hot dog to the drag as well. I remember exactly where I started the drag. I took Lucky out of the box and Went to the area where I started the drag(within 10 ft) and I started talking to Lucky. I suppose everyone can use different language for this part but I always say “look for him Lucky, coons in here, look for him”. I won’t ever say that to Lucky except for when I wang him to look for a coon or when I know there is a coon track close by. I am simply trying to use that as a ‘trigger’ for him to find the coon track. Lucky didn’t have any trouble finding the start of the either drag track yesterday. I honestly think he was winding the scent before he ever actually got to the track. As far as I am concerned both runs were fine and they both turned out basically the same. Lucky found the track, followed the track, over ran the track....and here is the important part, circled back to see if he could find it again. He didn’t just quit it and go on to something else. He actually circled back and tried to find the track again. Neither of the runs resulted in a drag that got treed or not even so much as a glance in the upward direction. That’s all fine with me. I saw what I was looking for. Find the track, follow the track, lose the track, have enough interest to find track again. I praised him all I could whenever I saw chances on this. And as a reward I got the drag down and just toyed with him for about 5 minutes. I swung it around, bouncing it off the ground and letting him chase it and try to grab the hot dog. I basically stuck with it until he has swiped the entire link. Then I petted him up god and showered him with praise and put him back in his pen and put him back in his kennel for the night.

Our rifle gun deer season opened today and I Took a little time after lunch to mess with Lucky. With the help of a neighbor, who gifted me with a trapped coon, and my old grnitech After Hours Badger, we introduced Lucky to his first real live raccoon. I wanted to utilize Badger to let Lucky try to ‘pack’ with the older dog. I felt like Badger going nuts over the coon would help give Lucky the confidence to bark a little at the coon. Also felt like it would help Lucky understand that the real live raccoon is what we are after. I fully expected for Lucky to run around behind Badger trying to play and not really have a lot of interest in the coon. I was surprised. He went right in to barking and carrying on like he had done the routine before. I think Badger being there, really helped Lucky want to get into the act. Will try to post pics/videos tomorrow.

Old Post 11-10-2019 04:51 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Posted for Brett....
He sure is a brave little sucker to only be 3 1/2 mos old.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-10-2019 at 02:38 PM

Old Post 11-10-2019 02:36 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Thank you Richard.

As u can see in the picture, this male pup was wound up. I limited this exposure to 7-8 minutes at the most and tried to put him up while he was still ‘wanting’ to get the coon.

Old Post 11-10-2019 02:39 PM
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Test- trying to post picture

https://i.postimg.cc/QCMVHsHq/5-E56...FBE59-D5-E0.jpg

Old Post 11-10-2019 02:41 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 11-10-2019 05:59 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

jpeg uploading site

Old Post 11-10-2019 06:00 PM
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Videos

I have videos of the past 2 days training with one pup yesterday and 2 in a video from today. I am glad to share them with anyone that is interested. They are just short clips. I cannot figure out how to post them on here. If you want to see them, text me and I will send them to you.

87zero-6eight8-0seven2zero

Just text me your name and that you are interested in seeing videos. These pups are 12 weeks and 3 days old today.

Old Post 11-10-2019 10:07 PM
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Lucky and Mack

My buddy that has the other male
Puppy brought him over on Sunday. That is the second pup you see in the pics above. My buddy left him here for a couple day so the pups could play with each other a little. They have had a big time together. I messed with them with a drag a little this evening. They can both follow a drag track decent enough. I would say Lucky is a little of Mack right now but happy with what each of them are showing.

What do all of you guys normally see out of 12 wk old pups? What do u expect out of them at that age? What kind of training are each of you trying to conduct with your pup at that age? Looking for as much input as I can get.

Thanks for following along fellas. Don’t be afraid to post your thoughts on the progress or what you would normally do different, etc. I am partially doing this stuff to try to learn more myself, so don’t hold back.

Old Post 11-13-2019 03:33 AM
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Nice pups

Looks like your off to a good start. I don't like to do too much of the coon in the cage hanging up in the tree thing. When they start to work real tracks and go to tree, they expect to see the coon, when they don't see the coon, they loose interest in the tree. You want them to tree on scent, not sight, is what I'm saying. I believe pups can have natural ability to do something and we as trainers can confuse them and mess that up, if not careful.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-13-2019 04:58 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote