UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Michigan coon hunters question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
James Christie
UKC Forum Member

Michigan coon hunters question

Does anybody know the act number where were allowed to retrieve our dogs off private land?
My boys and I were hunting state land last night and split up. Well the dogs my boys were hunting treed on private land so they went and asked the land owner if they could retrieve the dogs and he got belligerent with them threating to shoot the dogs ( he had a gun) so we had to call the sheriff and he asked what act gave us the right to retrieve our dogs.
Ps. My 11 year old sons dog was one of the dogs and he was cring because this man threatened to shoot his dog. We didn't wake him he was outside having a bon fire.

HOME of
Grnitech"Northern Rednecks Smokin Joe"(frozen semen)2011-2012 ,2014 Performance Sire( ACHA Grnitech)(grand 16 finalist 2011 at A.O.)(ACHA MI. State champion2012)(High scoring dog and 1st place Grnitech Saturday night at English days 2012)(2 cast wins and High scoring English at 2012 Plott Days)(Qualified for the world 2012)( 1st place Grnitech and 2nd place over all at the Georgia state hall of fame hunt 2012)(Qualified for the world 2013)

GrNitech Ch Northern Rednecks Jasmine(Over all winner of the Larry Wilcox Tribute hunt)(2013 3rd place at the English days Champions of champions)
Cast win 2017 Autumn Oaks

Nitech PR'Northern Rednecks Outlaw (Hoss x Jasmine) 2016 Michigan state youth champion

PR' Northern Rednecks X-trem Rush ( Crow x Jasmine )

EMAIL: northernredneckkennels@gmail.com
Northern Redneck Kennels on Facebook

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-28-2011 02:41 PM
James Christie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Christie Click here to Send James Christie a Private Message Click Here to Email James Christie Find more posts by James Christie Add James Christie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

James,

Search Goggle for Recreational Trespass in Michigan. The law is Act 451 324.73102 (4). (4) is the excemption part of the law. It does have limitations.

I have all coon hunting and dog laws saved on my work computer. If you need help, just let me know.

Good luck.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 08-28-2011 03:54 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Christie
UKC Forum Member

Thank You Larry , I appreciate it

HOME of
Grnitech"Northern Rednecks Smokin Joe"(frozen semen)2011-2012 ,2014 Performance Sire( ACHA Grnitech)(grand 16 finalist 2011 at A.O.)(ACHA MI. State champion2012)(High scoring dog and 1st place Grnitech Saturday night at English days 2012)(2 cast wins and High scoring English at 2012 Plott Days)(Qualified for the world 2012)( 1st place Grnitech and 2nd place over all at the Georgia state hall of fame hunt 2012)(Qualified for the world 2013)

GrNitech Ch Northern Rednecks Jasmine(Over all winner of the Larry Wilcox Tribute hunt)(2013 3rd place at the English days Champions of champions)

Nitech PR'Northern Rednecks Outlaw (Hoss x Jasmine) 2016 Michigan state youth champion

Old Post 08-28-2011 04:06 PM
James Christie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Christie Click here to Send James Christie a Private Message Click Here to Email James Christie Find more posts by James Christie Add James Christie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Eastman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
James,

Search Goggle for Recreational Trespass in Michigan. The law is Act 451 324.73102 (4). (4) is the excemption part of the law. It does have limitations.

I have all coon hunting and dog laws saved on my work computer. If you need help, just let me know.

Good luck.

Larry all the laws used to be on the State website. It looks to me like the state website no longer exsists.

Old Post 08-28-2011 04:15 PM
Travis Eastman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Eastman Click here to Send Travis Eastman a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Eastman Find more posts by Travis Eastman Add Travis Eastman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Christie
UKC Forum Member

I Googled it and it brought it up

HOME of

Old Post 08-28-2011 04:33 PM
BLCKRIVREDBONES
UKC Forum Member

Michigan Public Act 451 324.73102(4) A person other than a person possessing a firearm may, unless previously prohibited in writing or orally by the property owner or his or her lessee or agent, enter on foot upon the property of another person for the sole purpose of retrieving a hunting dog. The person shall not remain on the property beyond the reasonable time necessary to retrieve the dog. In an action under section 73109 or 73110, the burden of showing that the property owner or his or her lessee or agent previously prohibited entry under this subsection is on the plaintiff or prosecuting attorney, respectively.

It's a good idea to have this printed off the michigan website and keep it in an envelope in your glove box or dog box. If a landowner gets nasty you can tell them the law says you have the right to retrieve your dog and you have the laws in your possession. If he tells you that you can't retrieve your dog in the future he better do it in front of a witness or he can't prove it in court.

GRNITECH BLACK RIVER RED SARAH (NITECH JONES' YELLOW RIVER SAND ROCK X GRNITECH NIGHTY NITE JOSEY)
NITECH 'PR' BLACK RIVER RED TROOPER (NITECH YELLOW RIVER RED DOC X GRNITECH NIGHTY NITE JOSEY)
'PR' BLACK RIVER MOONLIGHT DIXIE (GRNITECH MOONLIGHT BIG TIME BO X NITECH COHACTAH CREEKS MISS MOLLY)
'PR' BLACK RIVER RED SAM (NITECH BLACK RIVER RED TROOPER X GRNITECH BLACK RIVER RED SARAH)
R.I.P
GRNITECH NIGHTY NITE JOSEY, (GRNITECH CH YELLOW RIVER RED ROCKY X CH RED SUNSET RED ROXY)

Last edited by BLCKRIVREDBONES on 08-28-2011 at 04:52 PM

Old Post 08-28-2011 04:37 PM
BLCKRIVREDBONES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLCKRIVREDBONES Click here to Send BLCKRIVREDBONES a Private Message Click Here to Email BLCKRIVREDBONES Find more posts by BLCKRIVREDBONES Add BLCKRIVREDBONES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Christie
UKC Forum Member

So what happens if they tell you to not to come back again and your dog happens to get over there again? He owns 5 acres surronded by state land.
I'm not tring to cause trouble I just moved up here and land is limited to me and my boys and I enjoy hunting our hounds!

HOME of

Last edited by James Christie on 08-28-2011 at 05:03 PM

Old Post 08-28-2011 04:47 PM
BLCKRIVREDBONES
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MiHunter14sdad
So what happens if they tell you to not to come back again and your dog happens to get over there again? He owns 5 acres surronded by state land

He has to prove he told you that. If he has a witness then you'd have to call a C.O. or Sheriff Dept.

The best thing is to stop by during daylight and apologize and explain that you'd appreciate it if in the future you can get your dog.

I hunt very large sections of state land and occasionally a landowner thinks he owns the whole forest. By being friendly I can usually smooth it over and get permission to retrieve my dog in the future.

Old Post 08-28-2011 04:59 PM
BLCKRIVREDBONES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLCKRIVREDBONES Click here to Send BLCKRIVREDBONES a Private Message Click Here to Email BLCKRIVREDBONES Find more posts by BLCKRIVREDBONES Add BLCKRIVREDBONES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

So after reading that it looks like if the man said no the law would back him up. Seems to complicate the purpose of the whole thing when you try to do the right thing and ask first. I find it hard to understand not letting anyone retrieve a dog when at that point it's the solution to the problem unless they're trigger happy. If it happens to often to the same person I can understand them getting tired of it since the act wasn't intended for anybody to have to retrive their dog from the same place on a steady basis.

Old Post 08-28-2011 05:02 PM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLCKRIVREDBONES
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dale Young
So after reading that it looks like if the man said no the law would back him up. Seems to complicate the purpose of the whole thing when you try to do the right thing and ask first. I find it hard to understand not letting anyone retrieve a dog when at that point it's the solution to the problem unless they're trigger happy. If it happens to often to the same person I can understand them getting tired of it since the act wasn't intended for anybody to have to retrive their dog from the same place on a steady basis.

"... unless previously prohibited in writing or orally by the property owner..."

The keyword here is "previously". If they can prove that they told you not to go on their property the law will usually negotiate for you to get your dog. Some cops are anti's but most are pretty good at keeping the situation civil.

Usually it's city folk that moved to the country. I've told several that wouldn't cooperate "Welcome to the country, this is what we do. If you don't like it move back to the city. It's in your best interest to roll with the flow, you don't want the local country boys not liking you. Ever seen Deliverance?".

Old Post 08-28-2011 06:15 PM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MiHunter14sdad
So what happens if they tell you to not to come back again and your dog happens to get over there again? He owns 5 acres surronded by state land.
I'm not tring to cause trouble I just moved up here and land is limited to me and my boys and I enjoy hunting our hounds!

At that point I would call the local CO and ask him to retrieve your dog for you. You may even want to contact him before an incident. It may help matters once he realizes you would rather avoid problems a head of time. Act courteous, responsible and reasonable, who knows maybe the CO can turn you on to some new spots.

I would not waste my time calling police. Police are not always aware of laws associated with hunting.

Aim small miss small

Last edited by Larry Atherton on 08-29-2011 at 03:08 PM

Old Post 08-29-2011 03:05 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Christie
UKC Forum Member

True Larry thanks for the info. Hope to see you guys at some hunts

HOME of

Old Post 08-29-2011 03:10 PM