UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > looking for coons
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

looking for coons

How long do you looks for the coon when the leaves are full? I’ll give it maybe 8-10 minutes and then let it be. Our woods get pretty thick from here on into fall. It’s hard enough to find them here with the leaves on, it’s also tough in some spots I hunt to find a place to look up at the tree. Just curious how long you look? It gets dark late this time of year and I’d rather not spend too much wasted time looking when they’re tough to see now anyways.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-25-2018 02:14 AM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Yea, sometimes you look up and see the coon. Often you only see eyes IF it looks. Most times you can't even see the tree due to understory. I look longer when I can see the tree.

Old Post 04-25-2018 04:34 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

i see a lot of them when leaving the tree looking back. lol

Old Post 04-25-2018 06:17 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I look longer when I have an accurate dog.

Old Post 04-25-2018 03:54 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I want to spend the least amount of time possible looking at trees. Less than 10 minutes when pleasure hunting. Last night was a good example of how it goes. First tree was a cedar tree. Corey found the coon and I couldn't see it. Took the laser on the light and he put it on the coon. Once I was zero'ed in on the coon it was simple to see him. Actually could see his ear better than anything. Next tree we both looked and it was a fairly easy tree to search as it wasn't blocked by other trees. We couldn't find the coon. After a few minutes we leashed the dog to walked to recut and I looked back one more time and found him. When he looked he was so easy to see it made us wonder how we missed him the first time. Anyway the next tree was on the side of the creek and actually two together and one branched to trees on the other side of the creek. Never did find one up that tree.

Old Post 04-25-2018 04:03 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

I don't look over two or three minutes. If I don't find a coon I prefer to send the hounds off the tree. Looking and blowing the squaller for 10 minutes only encourages more slick trees if it's blank.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 04-25-2018 11:07 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote