UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dear Mr. Elvis
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Conkey, are you saying that a dog can be "independent to a fault"? You are right in what you say. You have to keep breeding and training until you get "too much" and then back off. But you don't know what "too much" is until you get there. Look at what happened with walker dogs and treeing. Every hunter is different. We all have our own "too much".
Everyone knows that too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-26-2018 04:07 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Bruce

Maybe he THOUGHT he was going to far so he circled around THOUGHT what he was doing and found one a little closer. What U think

Old Post 04-26-2018 04:34 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Meyer, it sounds like you might be overthinking this.
My dog doesn't climb out of his kennel. Does that mean that he is too dumb to think for himself?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 04-26-2018 at 05:41 PM

Old Post 04-26-2018 05:34 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr Lambert

quote:
Originally posted by H. L. Meyer
There U go asking rational questions about a subjects that just make me say HUMMMMM. Do people honestly believe that a dog can think for himself, have rational thoughts. if so it may be impossible to EVER train it to do something it thought was to hard to accomplish.
To my friend joey's comment I would say if that dog never watch U open the gate he would never be able tho THINK the situation out. A DOG BEING ABLE TO MAKE RATIONAL DECISIONS TO ME OS A SCARY THOUGHT.
BUT what do i know I just THOUGHT this reply up.

I have no doubt they can think through situations, I know that a lot of people don't think they can and that's fine. Its because they don't want to think they have something in there back yard that has rational thoughts. Just like you said its a scary thought and it bothers people on a subconscious level, so they choose not to believe it. You have honestly never seen a dog figure something out they had never seen before? I'm not saying they are smart but they do think for themselves.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-26-2018 05:41 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duvall
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
My dog doesn't climb out of his kennel. Does that mean that he is too dumb to think for himself?

Maybe he's smart enough not to....

Old Post 04-26-2018 05:54 PM
duvall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duvall Click here to Send duvall a Private Message Click Here to Email duvall Find more posts by duvall Add duvall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

OR

Maybe he THINKS of all the trouble he will be in if he does, WHO KNOWS OR CARES. BUT there is one thing ALL of the people who's classes I have been a part of ALL agree on is this A DOG IS A CREATURE OF HABIT and he is trained by REPETITION so go figure I guess if he THINKS of a situation over and over then he trains himself how bout that ? So yawl are correct a dog can think.

Old Post 04-26-2018 06:21 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

Mr.Elvis has a lot of typing and responding to do.

Old Post 04-28-2018 12:31 PM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Lot of good answers and comments here.

First of all and something that I think we miss is.
Anything a dog does can be a FAULT. Even the things we want them to do, if they consistently take it to an extreme. I want mine to hunt deep if necessary. But I don't want it doing it in a straight line and going by coon to just get away. That is a fault to me.

Thats what we overlook when we get hashing out hard hunting or deep hunting dogs. Most want one to hunt and have the drive to keep hunting. But, just like the dog that trees to many slick trees. We can breed the dog that hunts to far. Many reasons for this and they are faults. Perhaps that dog doesn't have the ability to smell or excitement level to run the tracks it is going by.

I just hate it when people see a deep hunting dog that gets deep if it NEEDS to and compares it to a deep hunting dog that does it because it is a FAULT in his breeding. There is a difference.

Three drops off trees in the same area a couple nights ago. One coon within 100 yards, second coon probably 100 yards from that but the dog probably traveled 400 or 500 yards on the track. But from that tree and the dog had to hunt a little further to find one. Made a couple semi circles, crossed a couple dirt roads and came treed perhaps 3/4 miles away. If he hadn't found the last coon he might have been 1.5 miles away but the Garmin showed he was looking in the right spots for a coon so I can't fault him it he had to go some distance to get the job done.

I 100% agree with what Bruce said...

Old Post 04-28-2018 01:43 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

I can assure you if I could own Shot through the World I,d shoot what I pack. Hands down the best dog I’ve ever walked behind and unless you have you can’t comprehend just how fast he trees coon. I will assure you he’s the best in the country right now. He’s good enough to beat the babbling idiots with a last strike what’s that say about getting deep and alone.

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 04-29-2018 05:16 PM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Seems Elvis has left the building

Old Post 04-29-2018 05:42 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Where's ELvis????

Maybe he is out taking care of his new dog named, Global Warming.

Old Post 04-30-2018 01:38 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris.S
UKC Forum Member

If you don't like deep OR alone just hunt dogs that dont' hunt big and like to party... It's your choice feed what YOU like.

I LIKE dogs that mind their own business. Unless I can cover them with a blanket on a track they better be by themselves. I like dogs that will hunt out a mile or so when necessary, then they can come back (usually they don't)that style isn't for everyone.

I have 2yr old, born in my kennel. Last week at during another KC hunt he treed a coon in 1:40secs from being cast. Later in the hunt in treed another coon .92 away. He doesn't break his neck to get away from other dogs, he just decides which direction he's going and doesn't pay attention to anything else.

And for all those that say you have to shock em to make loaners out of them think again! From the time he was a baby he wouldn't even tree with his momma. Heck I have his littermate sister here as well she's the same way. Natural loaners are VERY REAL you just need to know where to go get your stock.

Old Post 04-30-2018 06:56 PM
Chris.S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris.S Click here to Send Chris.S a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris.S Find more posts by Chris.S Add Chris.S to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brujan182
UKC Forum Member

Deep

If their man made loners. Most will end up running edges. To much pressure they start running around the woods. Now many will disagree. But if you keep breeding to man made edge runners, you will start raising edge runners. That is a huge fault to me.

Old Post 05-01-2018 09:27 PM
brujan182 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brujan182 Click here to Send brujan182 a Private Message Click Here to Email brujan182 Find more posts by brujan182 Add brujan182 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
x145merlin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Ever seen a dog figure something out? Like how to open their pen? That should answer your question.

Yes... My Susie did figure out how to open her kennel gate and was doing it regularly. Fortunately she has not figured out how to open the snap on the lead that now secures her gate..

Old Post 05-03-2018 03:38 AM
x145merlin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for x145merlin Click here to Send x145merlin a Private Message Click Here to Email x145merlin Find more posts by x145merlin Add x145merlin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
x145merlin
UKC Forum Member

Global warming

I think that coon hunters contribute more to global warming (their own methane gas) than the dogs in any cast...

Old Post 05-03-2018 03:40 AM
x145merlin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for x145merlin Click here to Send x145merlin a Private Message Click Here to Email x145merlin Find more posts by x145merlin Add x145merlin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Maybe your dog stays in his pen because he is smart enough to know that is what you want him to do!

If you have to ask if a dog is intelligent and whether they can process situations and make decisions, then I think you have discovered the answer to the REAL PROBLEM.

Old Post 05-04-2018 09:48 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Intelligence

quote:

Maybe your dog stays in his pen because he is smart enough to know that is what you want him to do!

If you have to ask if a dog is intelligent and whether they can process situations and make decisions, then I think you have discovered the answer to the REAL PROBLEM.

Old Post 05-04-2018 09:48 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Kry, you may be right. I think that my dog is smarter than I am. All he has to do is sit out there in the yard and wait on his food. I have to work to earn the money to pay for it, drive to the dog food store to get it and then carry it out to him every day. I think that he has me trained.

Old Post 05-05-2018 02:14 PM