UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > Electric Cars
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Electric Cars

IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN PAYING A GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON THAT IS SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES, WHICH WAS ENACTED SOME YEARS AGO TO HELP TO MAINTAIN OUR ROADS AND BRIDGES. THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE!
In case you were thinking of buying hybrid or an electric car:
Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of
those things has never been discussed. All you ever heard was the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it. This is the first article I've ever seen and tells the story pretty much as I expected it to.
Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things yet they're being shoved down our throats. Glad somebody finally put engineering and math to paper.
At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro
Executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious.
If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you
had to face certain realities. For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla, each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.
This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our
residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our genius
elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.
If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are
eco-friendly, just read the following. Note: If you ARE a green
person, read it anyway. It's enlightening.
Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.
"Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran
on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.
It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.
According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of
electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned. ,

You can't fix STUPID!

Last edited by Bob Hennessey on 03-31-2023 at 07:08 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-04-2021 02:17 AM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

Spot on

Bob :
That is sure spot on about the pipe dreams. another thing is when those fools get one of those out on the road in the Great Plains where there is very few places to recharge, then the batteries die.. you will end up getting towed as you cannot get a can of gasoline to go on... maybe replacement batteries at $$$$

Old Post 04-04-2021 01:42 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Electric car manufacturers have yet to find a way to make them profitably. The Government will have to subsidize them or they won't be able to make them. If you want one just wait another year and you can buy a new one cheap. Twenty per cent of the people that buy an electric car switch back to a gas powered one.

Old Post 05-01-2021 01:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Angry Re: Electric Cars

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hennessey

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.
$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 Mpg = $0.10 per mile.

If this is true, you are getting ripped off BIGGGGGG TIME!!!!!!!!!

1.16 per kwh? Really??? I pay approximately 8 cents per kwh.

Old Post 05-02-2021 07:24 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Talking

PROBLY CAUSE YOU ARE CLOSER TO NY

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 05-02-2021 03:19 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingman66
Banned

Re: Re: Electric Cars

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
If this is true, you are getting ripped off BIGGGGGG TIME!!!!!!!!!

1.16 per kwh? Really??? I pay approximately 8 cents per kwh.

Ours was 12 cents per kWh this month. That post is so full of misinformation its ridiculously hilarious.

"Kim Jong-Un speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.” An actual sitting US President said that. Let that sink in.

Old Post 05-03-2021 08:58 AM
Wingman66 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingman66 Click here to Send Wingman66 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wingman66 Find more posts by Wingman66 Add Wingman66 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

At 12 cent per kwh that's still $1.92 to go 25 miles which isn't much cheaper than a gallon of gasoline. When you consider the range limit and charging time I'll stick with gasoline for now.

Old Post 05-03-2021 05:48 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

I pay just over .05 per KWH
You got to add surcharges
distribution charges Taxes
ETC
My total bill divided by kilowatt I used on my bills are just under .11 TOTAL per KWH

THEN SOME DAY....When the Government FINALLY decides to tax you per mile use since you aren't paying to use the roads you are HELPING TO WEAR OUT.. We will see that cost climb

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Last edited by benderb4 on 05-04-2021 at 06:10 PM

Old Post 05-04-2021 06:06 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

In Tennessee we pay 27.4 cents per gallon state gas tax. The Federal gas tax is 18 cents per gallon. Federal fossil fuel tax revenue In 2016 was 36 billion dollars. Fossil fuel tax revenue in Tn was 936 million dollars. When everyone starts driving electric cars, guess where that money is going to come from. Now none of this includes federal incentives paid to produce electric cars and batteries. Taxpayers have to eventually pay these also. I don't see any of these costs being included in the cost to drive an electric car.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 05-04-2021 at 06:59 PM

Old Post 05-04-2021 06:44 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

They already have "brown outs" in California during the hot summer months when they run out of electricity. What is going to happen when everyone starts plugging in their electric cars?

Old Post 05-04-2021 07:02 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

If this electric car thing ever catches on, it's going to take more time to iron out a lot of wrinkles. People didn't shoot their horses as soon as the gasoline car was invented.

Old Post 05-05-2021 12:12 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

The joke of it all is ..How is the electric to recharge the electric car batteries the GREENIES are pushing generated ??????
Power plants !!! MANY THAT RUN ON NATURAL GAS
Many have already switched to cleaner burning natural gas that is now being squeezed by BANNING new fracking permits by Demented Biden

AROUND AND AROUND WE GO ............

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 05-05-2021 01:04 AM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingman66
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
At 12 cent per kwh that's still $1.92 to go 25 miles which isn't much cheaper than a gallon of gasoline. When you consider the range limit and charging time I'll stick with gasoline for now.

I can only speak for myself...

Mine has a 7.6 kWh battery, of which 4.3 kWh is used for propulsion. 7.6 @ 12 cents, (which includes everything) is about 92 cents. So y'all can keep right on buying that $2.69 gal gas for a 25mpg vechicle all you want. Thats on y'all. I'll stay here at 92 cents. On top of that, we haven't even factored in the tax credit. I hear $2500 to $7500. Mine was $4600.

"Kim Jong-Un speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.” An actual sitting US President said that. Let that sink in.

Old Post 05-05-2021 05:50 AM
Wingman66 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingman66 Click here to Send Wingman66 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wingman66 Find more posts by Wingman66 Add Wingman66 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingman66
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by benderb4
The joke of it all is ..How is the electric to recharge the electric car batteries the GREENIES are pushing generated ??????
Power plants !!! MANY THAT RUN ON NATURAL GAS
Many have already switched to cleaner burning natural gas that is now being squeezed by BANNING new fracking permits by Demented Biden

AROUND AND AROUND WE GO ............

Thats somewhat correct. Which is why folks like you need catch up with technology and stop trying to hinder the rest of the world. More ways to generate electricity that what we are using. Of course the old saying still holds true about teaching a monkey chinese arithmetic.

Old Post 05-05-2021 06:01 AM
Wingman66
Banned

Btw... heres another joke for you. All that return y'all been bragging about making on the stock market, you do realize where some of that return comes from? Companies investing in green energy. So thanks.

Old Post 05-05-2021 06:12 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Wingman66
Btw... heres another joke for you. All that return y'all been bragging about making on the stock market, you do realize where some of that return comes from? Companies investing in green energy. So thanks.

Does that make any sense at all to you?

Who is paying for that $4,500 "tax credit"? Biden is paying people $4,500 to buy and drive an electric vehicle. I wonder how much he is paying the car companies to make them? At the same time Biden is not taxing them so there is no revenue coming back. You can't teach a monkey Chinese arithmetic. Dictator Biden, the Six Trillion Dollar Man has no concept of economics whatsoever. The only job that he has ever had is working for the government. He thinks that Money grows on trees. If you need some, you just go out in the back yard and pick it.

Old Post 05-05-2021 01:21 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

When we stop using gasoline somebody's got to pick up the road tax. I'm sure Biden will do that also.

Old Post 05-05-2021 03:46 PM
Wingman66
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Does that make any sense at all to you?

Who is paying for that $4,500 "tax credit"? Biden is paying people $4,500 to buy and drive an electric vehicle. I wonder how much he is paying the car companies to make them? At the same time Biden is not taxing them so there is no revenue coming back. You can't teach a monkey Chinese arithmetic. Dictator Biden, the Six Trillion Dollar Man has no concept of economics whatsoever. The only job that he has ever had is working for the government. He thinks that Money grows on trees. If you need some, you just go out in the back yard and pick it.

Are you off your medication again? What does President Biden have to do with a car I purchased in 2017?

Old Post 05-06-2021 10:06 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Are you off your medication again? What does President Biden have to do with a car I purchased in 2017?
Are you off your meds? He mentions something Biden is doing as president and you bring up something that happened before Biden was told to run for president.

Old Post 05-07-2021 04:07 AM
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Your Puppet POTUS is a POS....period

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 05-07-2021 02:29 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:

What a narcissist. Do you actually think that this thread is about you and your little electric car?

Old Post 05-07-2021 03:14 PM
Wingman66
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
What a narcissist. Do you actually think that this thread is about you and your little electric car?

Lol typical right winger response when logic and facts are presented. Its cool though. I understand its not me you despise, its the truth you hate.

Old Post 05-08-2021 11:20 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Logic...facts... Oh my goodness... But you are right, I don't hate or despise you at all. I actually feel sorry for you, bless your soul. I don't like it when people present their opinion or made up theorys and call them "the truth" or "facts". Your logic is so twisted that it is almost unbelievable at times. I sometimes think that you just make stuff up to try and confuse or aggravate others. What kind of twisted mind would do that?

Old Post 05-08-2021 01:20 PM
Wingman66
Banned

How much MPG you getting big guy?

Old Post 05-10-2021 06:42 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

130.7 mpg???? Gallons of what? I didn't realize you could get a gallon of electricity.

Old Post 05-10-2021 05:00 PM