UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hound odor
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Hound odor

I'm one of those idiots that has let their prized hound into his home. She is a little 40lb female. Unfortunately she has turned my house into a musky stale hound odor.

I have tried baking soda on the carpet, I have tried weekly baths on the hound,dry shampoo. Im considering getting rid of the carpet and switching to hardwood.
Outside of moving her back outside, anyone have any other suggestions.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-02-2016 12:44 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

If you don't get rid if the carpet vacuum several times a week . The baking soda should help neutralize the odor let it set then vacuum up . A great odor fighting all purpose cleaner that can also be used as a room and furniture spray is Odorcide it also kills 99.99% of germs and FYI is good for kennel cleaning . Another product out to spray carpets and furniture with is called Zero Odor they have a whole line of neutralizing products .
Frequent bathing of the dog with a gentle shampoo and add coconut oil to her food to keep a good coat . I would also use a foo foo dog spray to keep her smelling less like a hound . The one I use for our house dogs is called Balance in blackberry vanilla musk .
A good friend of mine owns Courney's Candles you can look them up in them up on the web . She sells nebulizing diffusers w/ scented oil that are awesome (she gave me one for Christmas and I love it) and also sells lamps that burn a scented alcohol based scent both are a 100x's better than a candle at removing odors from your home .
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-02-2016 03:48 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Ok thanks for the tips!!!

Old Post 01-03-2016 01:48 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

I'm quite surprised no one left me any wise guy comments. I thought fer sure this drum up a reaction.

Old Post 01-03-2016 01:48 PM
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
I'm quite surprised no one left me any wise guy comments. I thought fer sure this drum up a reaction.
i'll leave ya 1 ole buddy to make ya feel at home lol put the dog outside where it belongs

Old Post 01-03-2016 02:42 PM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

I like the smell of my hounds, more than some people I have smelled

Old Post 01-03-2016 02:53 PM
Darrell Eads is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darrell Eads Click here to Send Darrell Eads a Private Message Click Here to Email Darrell Eads Find more posts by Darrell Eads Add Darrell Eads to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kardinalkennels
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by hillbilly56
i'll leave ya 1 ole buddy to make ya feel at home lol put the dog outside where it belongs

Now that right there is funny, best chuckle I have gotten on here in a while.

Still laughing

Pups and started dogs available from time to time.

Old Post 01-03-2016 03:15 PM
kardinalkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kardinalkennels Click here to Send kardinalkennels a Private Message Find more posts by kardinalkennels Add kardinalkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kardinalkennels
UKC Forum Member

I had to go get the wife and read it to her the post. She just smiled and looked at me like I was stupid.......see I have an old hound in the house to.

Big thing for a hound or any dog is ear odor, clean the ears. I don't let mine up in the living area much unless she gets a bath. She mostly stays in the basement in a stall I built for females having pups in the winter. I don't have a kennel most dogs are tied out. She is getting old and the mother to all my dogs, so she earned a spot out of the heat and cold, other wise she runs loose in the back yd with my other females.

Last edited by kardinalkennels on 01-03-2016 at 03:29 PM

Old Post 01-03-2016 03:23 PM
kardinalkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kardinalkennels Click here to Send kardinalkennels a Private Message Find more posts by kardinalkennels Add kardinalkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emily
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Eads
I like the smell of my hounds, more than some people I have smelled

X2

My first thought when I read this is that your hound must be a Walker! Mine are redbones and they don't smell bad even though I almost never bathe them. When they come home after swimming through a swamp, they do stink, but they've usually cleaned themselves up by the time we pull in the driveway. I rarely do anything more than wipe them off with a damp towel.
I've had as many as 3 hounds in the house and they all sleep in the bed with my husband and me. I'm not the cleanest person in the world, and I look at it more like I'm living in their house rather than the other way around, but the house doesn't smell too hound-y.
They also ride in the cab of the truck with me unless I'm actually hunting, but the truck really stinks. I think all the loose fur, skin and dander comes off in the truck and gets in the cracks and under the seats. JMO, but I think bathing them causes dry skin and makes them stink worse. I know mine shed more after going out in the rain.

The other thing that helps the house smell better is plenty of fresh air. We leave the windows and doors wide open whenever its warm enough.
Also, if the indoor dog has a bed, clean the bedding often. I keep some old towels and blankets on the closet floor for them--they like to sleep in there. The stink accumulates on the towels. When it starts to stink, the towels go in the washing machine. Same for the indoor crate they like to retreat to--washable bedding instead of the straw in the dog box.

Old Post 01-04-2016 12:57 AM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We have our Redbone in the house and she doesn't have a hound smell ...not even when she gets wet. Our stinky dog is a Lab mix. They all get coconut oil every day. The Lab mix is my son's dog that we've been keeping for him since she injured her back last yr. She always got a hotspot in the summer until this yr, I think the coconut oil helped with that. We use vinegar/water to rinse them after we bathe them.

Last edited by Rex Ridge on 01-04-2016 at 03:17 AM

Old Post 01-04-2016 03:14 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Part of the issue is, I live in a newer home, and there are very few drafts, it seems as nothing circulates.

I do think it is her ears that smell the most. They are clean, but she has been scratching them some, may e she has an ear infection.

Yes she is a walker.

Old Post 01-04-2016 03:49 AM
dawgg03
UKC Forum Member

Go buy some brags apple cider vinegar with the mother it's not been processed has natural disaffectiing and can sterilize great for dogs. Put it on their hair little in ears great for skin disorders and smell. Mix 50 percent water 50 vinegar. I mix some in drinking water as well.

I use Sunfire lights

Old Post 01-04-2016 03:59 AM
dawgg03 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dawgg03 Click here to Send dawgg03 a Private Message Click Here to Email dawgg03 Find more posts by dawgg03 Add dawgg03 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

All you people that don't think your house or dogs smell, Just ask the next person that visits.

Old Post 01-04-2016 03:59 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elvis
UKC Forum Member

the red dogs ive had in the past didnt smell like A HOUND either.
most of the time they smelled like skunk.

Old Post 01-04-2016 05:44 AM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kardinalkennels
UKC Forum Member

What do you feed it.....I always enjoy reading any post about dog food, and seems like corn is the usually the fault for everything from global warming in dogs thru the reason it doesn't tree.

All jokes aside, feed may have something to do with it????

I have learned a few things from this post.

Old Post 01-04-2016 11:30 AM
kardinalkennels
UKC Forum Member

What do you feed it.....I always enjoy reading any post about dog food, and seems like corn is the usually the fault for everything from global warming in dogs thru the reason it doesn't tree.

Old Post 01-04-2016 11:31 AM
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by elvis

Lmao

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Old Post 01-04-2016 01:26 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Liles
UKC Forum Member

Odor

Get a air knight worth every penny they work goole it.

Last edited by Andy Liles on 01-04-2016 at 07:25 PM

Old Post 01-04-2016 07:23 PM
Andy Liles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Liles Click here to Send Andy Liles a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Liles Find more posts by Andy Liles Add Andy Liles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dchartt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by elvis

LMAO!!!

Old Post 01-05-2016 12:21 AM
dchartt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dchartt Click here to Send dchartt a Private Message Click Here to Email dchartt Find more posts by dchartt Add dchartt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dchartt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by kardinalkennels

I would say the only part feedin has to do with it would be the farts its producing, and if were talking farts you aint gna beat a pitbulls farts zoooweee mamma, Ive switched foods with my pits a lot because of the air they are puttin out and thats the only thing I noticed that changed

Old Post 01-05-2016 12:24 AM
dchartt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dchartt Click here to Send dchartt a Private Message Click Here to Email dchartt Find more posts by dchartt Add dchartt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dchartt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ed zachary
All you people that don't think your house or dogs smell, Just ask the next person that visits.

x2, I dont notice the smell in my jeep anymore but I can sure tell the wife notices it

Old Post 01-05-2016 12:26 AM
H Stonesifer
UKC Forum Member

Frebrees fabic scent will take care of the problem. Your wife will love you again.Any local dollar store or Walmart will have it. If that don't ,get rid of the wife.

Old Post 01-05-2016 12:35 AM
H Stonesifer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H Stonesifer Click here to Send H Stonesifer a Private Message Click Here to Email H Stonesifer Find more posts by H Stonesifer Add H Stonesifer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
Part of the issue is, I live in a newer home, and there are very few drafts, it seems as nothing circulates.

I do think it is her ears that smell the most. They are clean, but she has been scratching them some, may e she has an ear infection.

Yes she is a walker.

if ya think it's her ears get some proxide and boric acid powder pour a cap full of proxide in each ear let the ears dry over nite then hold her ear so you put a teaspoon full of powder in each ear just peck the ear canal lightly so it gets all they way down in the ear should help

Old Post 01-05-2016 12:43 AM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ed zachary

Read this today when someone was here visiting...so I asked him. NO HOUND smell here. But he did smell something a little skunky smelling, it wasn't the RED DOG, it was bobcat lure..my husband had on him.

Old Post 01-05-2016 03:59 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
Read this today when someone was here visiting...so I asked him. NO HOUND smell here. But he did smell something a little skunky smelling, it wasn't the RED DOG, it was bobcat lure..my husband had on him.

Sounds like your house would smell better if the husband lived outside , I know mine would lol .
Fisher13 another thing that you can do is clean the carpets . I usually do mine myself the Rug Doctor machine you can rent at WalMart and most Dollar Generals works wonders . I usually do mine a couple times a year , no matter how clean you think your house is you will be amazed/disgusted at what it will pull out of carpets , this goes for those without indoor dogs too .

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-05-2016 04:19 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote