UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hey any strange "encounters" while hunting?
Pages (23): « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
HuckFinn
UKC Forum Member

btt love hearing these stories

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-10-2013 05:37 AM
HuckFinn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HuckFinn Click here to Send HuckFinn a Private Message Click Here to Email HuckFinn Find more posts by HuckFinn Add HuckFinn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmrazek
UKC Forum Member

im just getting started in coon hunting so i dont have any super stange encounters yet but enjoyed reading all the stories keep em comeing!

Old Post 01-13-2013 12:06 AM
dmrazek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dmrazek Click here to Send dmrazek a Private Message Find more posts by dmrazek Add dmrazek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerdog1
UKC Forum Member

Good post

Old Post 01-13-2013 08:43 PM
walkerdog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog1 Click here to Send walkerdog1 a Private Message Click Here to Email walkerdog1 Find more posts by walkerdog1 Add walkerdog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerdog1
UKC Forum Member

Dad and i were hunting one night about 5 years ago he had 2 young dogs and i was hunting my old 9 year old at the time it was mid fall not to hot or cold about right we turned the dogs lose and sat on the tail gate this was about 4 in the morning the dogs strike and trail the young dogs pull up treed old dog keeps going we get to the young dogs slick we weren't far from the truck and the old dog getting deaper we go to the truck to drive around to him as we sat on the tailgate listening to the dog trail and talking the old boy locates and shuts down must be a hole we were wateing on him we noticed the sky was extra full of stars i had never seen so many abojt 30 or 40 minutes went by still no dog so i get the tracker out and he's in the same area he llcated in its getting light so i told dad he must have died so into the woods i go tracker in hand and track him so close i can't get a direction any more so i unplug the coax and finally find him sitting at the base of a tree not dead but in no shape to walk i carry him out and take him to the vet she said he had a heat stroke never hunted him again haven't seen the stars in such a display before or since just thought it was strange to see them like that on that night

Old Post 01-14-2013 06:20 PM
walkerdog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog1 Click here to Send walkerdog1 a Private Message Click Here to Email walkerdog1 Find more posts by walkerdog1 Add walkerdog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danny2313
UKC Forum Member

Back in the late 90's, my hunting buddy came to pick me up one evening. My wife and i had just finished watching "Blair Witch Project". If you have saw this movie you know how freaky it is and the sounds in it. We were in the middle of and 800 acre bottom,listening to the dogs when all of a sudden one of the resident "souped up wildcats" as Jerry Clower put it , let out a bone chilling scream right beside us. Two grown men almost had a runaway that night!

Old Post 01-15-2013 03:06 PM
danny2313 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danny2313 Click here to Send danny2313 a Private Message Click Here to Email danny2313 Find more posts by danny2313 Add danny2313 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HuckFinn
UKC Forum Member

Did your dogs run the cay?

Old Post 01-17-2013 04:50 AM
HuckFinn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HuckFinn Click here to Send HuckFinn a Private Message Click Here to Email HuckFinn Find more posts by HuckFinn Add HuckFinn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danny2313
UKC Forum Member

No they did not run the cat. thankfully.

Old Post 01-17-2013 05:46 PM
danny2313 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danny2313 Click here to Send danny2313 a Private Message Click Here to Email danny2313 Find more posts by danny2313 Add danny2313 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rockyford
UKC Forum Member

I have been hunting since i was able to walk with my dad. Well one night we were hunting not but 3mile from my house, with my dads buddy who has been hunting since he was a teenager and he is over 60. But we were sitting on the tailgate and there was no wind at all the whole night. We were sitting there and the next thing i know is that it gets super quite. Next thing i know is that this huge oak tree starts blowing and moving, weird thing is though it was the only tree in the whole forest that was moving. Other weird thing i have had is setting my dogs loose. Listening for my dogs and next thing i know i hear women along the river screaming. So we drive around the field and we see this vehicle with 3 55gallon drums in the back with these "weeds" in them. That scared me luckily had me a .22 just incase

Old Post 01-18-2013 12:44 AM
Rockyford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rockyford Click here to Send Rockyford a Private Message Click Here to Email Rockyford Find more posts by Rockyford Add Rockyford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nybluetickboy
UKC Forum Member

one night my brother and i were headed down a dirt road after huntin and outta no where headlights apper then dissapper, never had that happen before and hasnt happened on that road since

Old Post 01-18-2013 01:07 AM
nybluetickboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nybluetickboy Click here to Send nybluetickboy a Private Message Find more posts by nybluetickboy Add nybluetickboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kmckenzie
UKC Forum Member

One night when I was just getting into coon Huntin me and two friends went out. We cut loose in a small revine dogs got treed, we went to them and were walking to the truck when we heard this high pitch growling and it kept getting louder and louder and we were gettin scared never heard the noise before and it sounded like a mountain lion or somethin and we were starting to let our imagination get to us, as we got on the road heading to the truck a guy stepped out from behind a tree and blew his squaller as loud as he could, (the mountain lion growling) scared the crap out of us. It was Jj melin didn't know him at the time and now we hunt together almost every night and still laugh about the "mountain lion "

Old Post 01-19-2013 06:49 PM
Kmckenzie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kmckenzie Click here to Send Kmckenzie a Private Message Click Here to Email Kmckenzie Visit Kmckenzie's homepage! Find more posts by Kmckenzie Add Kmckenzie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HuckFinn
UKC Forum Member

btt

Old Post 01-21-2013 05:06 AM
pete215
UKC Forum Member

Strange encounter

One night some 50+ years ago while hunting in the WV hills with some other teenage boys we had a long hike to a tree. We were walking on a gas line right of way with brush on our left which also contained a pasture field fence. As we were walking along a large black object in the brush suddenly raised up. All of us thought for sure in the dim glow of our carbide lights it was a bear raising up on its hind legs. Suprisingly, we did stick around long enough to realize it was just an old black work horse that had raised its head from grazing to see what was going by. We still beat it down the right of way toward the tree. I still laugh about that night but then it didn't seem very funny.

Old Post 01-21-2013 08:07 PM
pete215 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pete215 Click here to Send pete215 a Private Message Click Here to Email pete215 Find more posts by pete215 Add pete215 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TIMOTHY SMITH
UKC Forum Member

ONE OF THE FIRST FEW TIMES THAT I WENT HUNTING BY MYSELF MY OLD BLACK & TAN GYP TREED ACROSS THE MULBERRY RIVER. I HAVE HUNTED AND FISHED THERE MY WHOLE LIFE SO I KNEW THE PLACES PRETTY WELL THAT WERE NOT TOO DEEP TO CROSS. THAT NIGHT THE RIVER WAS KINDA MERKY LOOKING DUE TO A PRETTY GOOD RAIN THAT WE HAD ABOUT TWO DAYS BEFORE. I WAS A LITTLE NERVOUS ABOUT CROSSING BECAUSE I COULDN'T SEE WHERE I WAS WALKING. I EASED OUT INTO THE RIVER AND GOT ABOUT HALFWAY OUT. THE WATER WAS ABOUT WAIST DEEP AND I JUST HAPPENED TO LOOK DOWN TO SEE SOMETHING PRETTY LONG WITH FUNKY LOOKING GLOWING EYES ABOUT 3 FT. FROM MY LEG. I ABOUT HAD A COME APART. FINALLY CALMED DOWNED ENOUGH TO REALIZE THAT IT WAS ABOUT A 6FT. LONG LONGNOSE GAR!

ALSO HAVE HAD A FEW ARMADILLOS SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF ME A FEW TIMES.

Old Post 01-22-2013 04:04 AM
TIMOTHY SMITH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TIMOTHY SMITH Click here to Send TIMOTHY SMITH a Private Message Click Here to Email TIMOTHY SMITH Find more posts by TIMOTHY SMITH Add TIMOTHY SMITH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billingsley
New UKC Forum Member

Instant chills

I was hunting with an old buddy of mine named Jim, he is dead now. We hunted quite a bit and he had been raised in this little town in SW Mo and lived there his whole life. He used to say Ive kicked every rock in this county. We cut the dogs loose on turnback creek and I had hunted that creek several times but this was the first time on this stretch of the creek. I had a pretty good hound and he got struck and usually it didnt take that high powered walker long to get them up a tree so we take off walking. Our dogs started to kinda hang up in this one spot so we just sit down and waited for them to line it out. I thought maybe they got stuck in a real deep wide part or something so we just waited. Well they seemed to stay in that same general spot so we walked down to them in a open field and stopped on the tree line. Those dogs just seemed to be circling in the one spot but for what ever reason would not go in and tree. I asked my buddy if it was real deep in there or something and he said no. So I asked what he thought was going on and he said I have no idea its pretty easy tracking in there, and I asked him how he knew and he said because this is the same spot that my cousin was raped and murdered about 15 years ago. The hair on my neck stood up and as soon as my dog came running on our side of the tree line I grabbed him and got outta there! Jim wasnt joking cause he did the same thing and we never talked about it again. Well Jim is dead and gone now but I am the the Mo Guard and I had a Soldier who was Jims nephew, so 10 years later I asked him about it and he told me the whole story how she was killed and where. Sure enough it was that exact spot.

Old Post 01-22-2013 11:17 AM
Billingsley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billingsley Click here to Send Billingsley a Private Message Click Here to Email Billingsley Find more posts by Billingsley Add Billingsley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HuckFinn
UKC Forum Member

btt

Old Post 01-26-2013 06:33 AM
HuckFinn
UKC Forum Member

Sid

A couple of the farmers and I have been seeing a hairy creature around here for some time. I kept it too myself for a long time and then I finally told Joe Scoxx (a coon hunter) and he said, “Why heck yea! Me and Don Bakxx been seeing him for a long time but he ain’t no bigfoot.” So he went on to tell me all about it.

About thirty-five years ago, there was a couple living on acreage over by Sardis Lake and they had one child; a boy. Their name was Cobx. The man’s name was Edward and the boy’s name was Sid. Mrs. Cobx died when the boy was quite young and Ed was left alone to raise the boy. Ed was pretty crazy and couldn’t rear the child properly so Sid never went to school and never - ever played with other kids. In fact, Ed himself had nothing to do with anybody and was seldom ever seen out in his yard but Sid was often seen by other kids out in his back yard.

Some young boys would sneak up (but not too close) to watch Sid play. He was real big for his age; wore size 15 shoe at age 13 and already had a hairy face and they were scared of him because, if he saw them, he’d grunt and holler out obscenities and he’d throw a rock or a piece of fire wood at them and his range was about fifty yards. They said he could throw a rock just like a bullet and he could jump up out of the weeds and catch a bird. And Sid always had something in his mouth. For a long time, he carried around a four-foot piece of siphon hose that his dad used to steal gasoline and he was always breathing through it; huffing gas fumes. If it wasn’t that hose, he’d be chewing on an old shoe sole or a piece of charred wood. He wore old hiking boots and dressed in rags and animal fur. cont'd

Last edited by HuckFinn on 01-27-2013 at 01:04 AM

Old Post 01-27-2013 12:58 AM
HuckFinn
UKC Forum Member

continuation Sid

There was lots of fur around that place. Hides were tacked up all over the side of the house and barn and rumor had it that every piece of furniture in that house was covered with bear hide. Ed always wore a buckskin outfit everybody thought he made himself. During the Summer Sid would wear just a rag wrapped around his waist and those worn out hiking boots. In winter he wore a bear skin that was made like coveralls. He’d always carry an arm load of food out of the house and eat it in the back yard.

For food they ate mostly game as Ed was always hunting back in the hills driving an old ford pickup that was never seen at a gas station. He never went anywhere else. A woman from some government agency or church would leave boxes of groceries on their front porch and get money out of a coffee can there. A man stopped by every month and put money in the can. Some say that man was a recruiter from the University of Miami football program. It went on like that for years.

When Sid got to be about eighteen, he started going off in the woods alone and going in the house less and less. The boys that lived around there said he was eating possums, birds and even coyotes - raw! He could bring down about anything with a rock.

Nobody knows exactly when Sid stopped coming home or thought much about it until old Ed died in 1997. After that Sid was not seen around the house anymore but he was seen quite a few times and some called him “Big Sid” estimating his height to be about six-foot-seven and weight around 400 pounds. cont'd

Old Post 01-27-2013 01:10 AM
HuckFinn
UKC Forum Member

conclusion Sid

You’d hear farmers say, “Well I saw Big Sid crossing the road yesterday” or “I saw Sid in my corn field”. Some of them tried to catch up with him and hollered and waved but they said Sid would just trot away although he could run fast if he wanted to. One guy was driving a pickup out in his hay field and tried to catch up with him. He said he got up to about 40 mph and Sid was pulling away from him and jumped a fence with about two feet to spare.

The sightings have continued. Joe Scoxx told me that he and Don Bakxx were the only ones left that knew Sid by name. Most people who have seen him know he’s a human but Joe said Sid is the reason for the big foot rumors around here. He said my sighting was definitely Sid and well within his known range which is up to 40 miles from Sardis. He has been seen as far away as the Heavener area and the James Collins Wildlife Management Area. They say the best chance to see Sid is to take a girl along and go around big open fields. You might see him a half mile away hooting, swinging from limbs and trying to do hand stands.

I posted about my sighting a page or two back. Joe believes what I saw him eating was not a trail camera but a piece of burned wood. I saw a pretty good print in the dirt and he was barefoot then but his feet weren’t normal. Seemed like all his toes were little and about the same size.

Old Post 01-27-2013 01:19 AM
HuckFinn
UKC Forum Member

some one tell another one please

Last edited by HuckFinn on 02-03-2013 at 05:10 AM

Old Post 01-28-2013 06:34 PM
dmrazek
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 02-01-2013 09:55 AM
dmrazek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dmrazek Click here to Send dmrazek a Private Message Find more posts by dmrazek Add dmrazek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kmcintosh
UKC Forum Member

true story

I was probly 7-8 we was hunting in the river bottoms dogs had coon treed. I had been hounding my dad to shoot a coon out all night like n e other kid so he let me I flipped my hard hat over my shoulder got my spot light out and commenced to shooting that coon way up n a cottonwood never hit him once I don't think this ol' boar was coming out he's walking down the tree im still shooting dad says give me the gun me(no dad I'll get him) I emptied that old marlin finally handed it to dad to reload was watching that coon come down that tree bout that time he bailed right at my light I started running as fast as I could and that coon was right on my ass across that big bottom I finally heard dad screaming (stop u dumbass its ur hat!!) ....lol I ran halfway across that riverbottom as hard as my short legs could run! 22 yrs later and every time I take my dad on a hunt I get reminded of that. The good ol' days wasn't funny at the time but get a kick out of it now.

Mill Creek Blues Home of UKC GR NITE CH McIntosh's Blue Flame Chopper. Blue breed winner at Purina nationals. 1st place Saturday bluetick reunion High scoring Bluetick 2015 english days 787.5 2nd place grand nite on saturday.2nd place grands at bluetick days. qualified for 2014 zones .cast win at the 2013 Quarter finals First place nite ch Saturday indiana state hunt 2013 overal opposite sex ch of 2013 indiana state hunt greencastle fri night 2013 english sectionals 1st place nite ch 400+ sat 812 n 1\2 high scoring dog both nights! Second place registered Indiana state night hunt.2012 @ 11 mths old.
4th place registered 2012 fall roundup all blue hunt. And a few others that can tree a coon.

Old Post 02-04-2013 12:00 AM
Kmcintosh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kmcintosh Click here to Send Kmcintosh a Private Message Click Here to Email Kmcintosh Find more posts by Kmcintosh Add Kmcintosh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

thats funny.

Old Post 02-04-2013 08:53 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HuckFinn
UKC Forum Member

bump

Old Post 02-09-2013 05:34 AM
slobbermouth21
Banned

where i hunt there is alot of old family cemeterys from the plantation days..and one is right where i turn my dogs aloose it has a green fence around it. well i get my dog out turn him aloose he runs out comes back about 5 menutes later and its strange for this dog to do that so i load him up and go about 100 yards or so and get out and turn him aloose agien..about 2 menutes i look on top of the hill on the road and there is a light like a cap light someone would coonhunt with but i know im the only one there hunting..well 20 mneutes go by dog trees i load up go around to get closer to go get him and there is the light agien in the middle of the road infront of me..i start getting alittle nervouse because my brother and them used to tell me stories and i haven even been told by two old hunters im crazy for hunting at night there..well i get out finaly after finding my nutts and start off to the dog i get to the tree about 5 menutes later leash the dog up knock the coon out and start headen back and ill be dern if that bright blue light isnt out infron of me about 100 yards in this swamp..well i hollar at the thing and ask who is it nothing happens it just goes out well i load another round into my 22 just to feel alittle safe i geuss and we get to going back to the truck get to the truck load the dog back up and as im driven out i look and there is the light agien back on top of the hill where these two roads meet...i geuss it was a spook just wanting to go coonhunting but didnt want to really bother me or scar me and i still hunt the place just stay on the lower part now. selma and lowndes are known for being hounted but that was the first time i have seen something weird with my own eyes buddy of mine two weeks after that was going down the dirt road at night and swears he saw a white foggy mist run acroos the road and its about 700 yards from where that grave yard is and 400 from the oldest grave yard that was befor the civil war

Old Post 02-09-2013 05:58 AM
slobbermouth21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for slobbermouth21 Click here to Send slobbermouth21 a Private Message Click Here to Email slobbermouth21 Find more posts by slobbermouth21 Add slobbermouth21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slobbermouth21
Banned

i got another one but it isnt scary but funny. i had just turned 21 and i was out coonhunting and drinken with some buddies celebrating all private land and roads just so you know, well i had to take a dump so i get out of the truck and go to take a dump stagering drunk you could say. after i get done doing the job i get up put my overalls back on get back in the truck and dear god we thought the dogs done **** in the dox boc in the jeep my buddy had well turns out i had **** on my overalls and somehow stepped in it going back to the truck.

Old Post 02-09-2013 06:23 AM
slobbermouth21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for slobbermouth21 Click here to Send slobbermouth21 a Private Message Click Here to Email slobbermouth21 Find more posts by slobbermouth21 Add slobbermouth21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote