UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > Does anyone have any experience with a pointer x
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hillbilly boy
UKC Forum Member

Does anyone have any experience with a pointer x

I have heard good things about them mostly

They are faster on their feet run heads up and run quite so catch faster

They don't rang out as far as hounds unless they are running something and have better recall and are ease to break off deer and livestock.

Just wanted to see what other have seen with them

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2020 06:37 AM
Hillbilly boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hillbilly boy Click here to Send Hillbilly boy a Private Message Click Here to Email Hillbilly boy Find more posts by Hillbilly boy Add Hillbilly boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Never heard of anyone using a pointer for bear. But your question I suppose brings up more questions. Would you possibly be using your pointer with hounds along also? If not why bother with dogs at all? Wouldn't it be easier to bait the bear?

I'm not a bear hunter but have owned hunting hounds for 43 years. To me, the joy of hunting with hounds is in training and caring for them. Having them around at home is a joy to me as well as the time in the woods. I enjoy the chase far more than I do the kill. Hearing and seeing the hounds do what the were bred,born and trained to do is 85-90% of the joy for me.

I've heard of a few bear hunters over the years who had used airedales in their bear hound packs but never a pointer. Have heard of people crossing coon hounds with bird dogs as well.

Old Post 04-10-2020 03:12 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hillbilly boy
UKC Forum Member

I was talking about a pointer being crossed with hound. Heard they make a fast running smarter x that catches faster

Old Post 04-11-2020 04:40 AM
Hillbilly boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hillbilly boy Click here to Send Hillbilly boy a Private Message Click Here to Email Hillbilly boy Find more posts by Hillbilly boy Add Hillbilly boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stokes
UKC Forum Member

Pointer x

Not sure where you’re from but on the Carolina coast a lot of deer hunters run 1/4 or 1/2 pointers crossed with running walkers, They get the job done! I had one as a kid that was pointer/setter cross would flat run a deer to death Don’t see why a little crossed in a big game dog wouldn’t work.

Old Post 04-15-2020 12:52 AM
Stokes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stokes Click here to Send Stokes a Private Message Find more posts by Stokes Add Stokes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hillbilly boy
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pointer x

quote:
Originally posted by Stokes
Not sure where you’re from but on the Carolina coast a lot of deer hunters run 1/4 or 1/2 pointers crossed with running walkers, They get the job done! I had one as a kid that was pointer/setter cross would flat run a deer to death Don’t see why a little crossed in a big game dog wouldn’t work.

Intestine I had hear it being done with treeing walkers to get more speed and curs to increase staying power do you know if they add anything to the running hounds

Old Post 04-15-2020 06:46 AM
Stokes
UKC Forum Member

Pointer x

I’ve seen them crossed with treeing walkers, Plotts, English dogs, running walkers, I don’t think it matters as long as you put the dog on the woods regularly. Guy I used to bear hunt with had his stuff so crossed up, pups might be any color, but most of them turned out to catch game because he was a hard hunter and a good handler. Think they even had a touch of German Shepard in them somewhere back, top hounds all the way though. Might take a little time but try it, you never know, you might like it!

Old Post 04-16-2020 03:58 AM
Stokes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stokes Click here to Send Stokes a Private Message Find more posts by Stokes Add Stokes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barnescreek
UKC Forum Member

A friend of mine crosses GSPs with catahoulas and uses them on hogs with good success. He tried crossing the curs with hounds and that cross hunted well but were then open on a track. He prefers tight mouth dogs for hog hunting so the GSPs give him the drive, nose, and athleticism while staying tight mouthed.

Old Post 04-23-2020 02:52 AM
barnescreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barnescreek Click here to Send barnescreek a Private Message Find more posts by barnescreek Add barnescreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hillbilly boy
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by barnescreek
A friend of mine crosses GSPs with catahoulas and uses them on hogs with good success. He tried crossing the curs with hounds and that cross hunted well but were then open on a track. He prefers tight mouth dogs for hog hunting so the GSPs give him the drive, nose, and athleticism while staying tight mouthed.

Interesting did you ever see them work I have heard a few times people x them with curs from what I understand with the cur x you get more bottom in a chase and some say better tracking

Old Post 04-23-2020 06:07 AM
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

I was always of the opinion that if you needed to add bird dog to your Bear dog breeding program, you probably should have started over from scratch.

Old Post 06-05-2020 01:51 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

So would it help my beagle breeding program also then, or are these masters of the hunt just for big game.

Old Post 06-07-2020 03:05 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ReichertCaleb
Banned

Nothing works more than practical experiences. Dogs must familiarize themselves with the situation and the wider space. Dogs must be familiar with gunfire, screams, and distinctions between the owner and others.

Hound means any domestic breed or group of dogs, dog breeds or breeds that are bred, trained or trained for hunting purposes.

Old Post 07-01-2020 03:59 AM
ReichertCaleb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ReichertCaleb Click here to Send ReichertCaleb a Private Message Click Here to Email ReichertCaleb Visit ReichertCaleb's homepage! Find more posts by ReichertCaleb Add ReichertCaleb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

they do it

I am sure alot of breeders mixed in a little bird dog into their line of hounds to get more speed and heads up hunting style to get faster hounds for competition hunting. If we only new what was in the wood pile. The registry's are just collecting money and keeping records for the breeders. There is no lie detector test or a person that makes inspections for the litters before they register them.

Old Post 07-15-2020 12:02 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I don't see how you could ever say that crossing hounds with a bird dog works.... or that it doesn't work.

You can cross two pure bred hounds... and not know for sure how it will turn out. You can have 3 pups in a litter turn out well, and 3 of the same litter that don't. Everyone has seen that rare dynamite hound that came from two sorry hounds. Just so many variables in the genetics before the cross is made... then the countless variables in regards to how much time a pup gets put into them.

Crossing to a different strain or family makes more variables.... crossing a Walker to a Black and Tan creates even more variables. Crossing a hound outside of the hound family creates even more variables.

Bottom line... it might work, it might not. Nobody should make a blanket statement that it works or does not. Common sense should tell us it will decrease the chances of it working, as you have increased the genetic variables. Like someone else said.... if you think you need to cross a bird dog, a german shepherd, etc.... into your hounds... you may just should try another line of hounds that is already consistently getting it done.

Old Post 07-15-2020 12:20 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote