UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > False Papers
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jeremy Gunter
UKC Forum Member

False Papers

How often is it for breeders to put false papers on a dog...and I'm not talking about Joe Shmoe, the unknown dogman trying to make a buck, but well established successful dog breeders putting false papers on dogs?

And, if it is known, that a well established breeder has, or is, putting false papers on dogs, does that have a determining factor on rather or not you would own/hunt those dogs?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-26-2013 05:26 PM
Jeremy Gunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy Gunter Click here to Send Jeremy Gunter a Private Message Find more posts by Jeremy Gunter Add Jeremy Gunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Layarddog
UKC Forum Member

Jeremy I think as most criminal activity the false paper thing is done where it his hidden from the light of day so to speak...but really
nobody knows the whole truth except those that have done the crime and in the matter of dogs and other things there too many larger crimes that we all should be concerned about...I think that we should except the past breeding practices for what they were and go forward with absolute integrity....papers concern me only as a tool. I believe that a dog should be taken at face value...if I like him I like no matter what his papers say....I believe this is where preference trumps prejudice.

Old Post 07-26-2013 06:54 PM
Layarddog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Layarddog Click here to Send Layarddog a Private Message Click Here to Email Layarddog Find more posts by Layarddog Add Layarddog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Gunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Layarddog
Jeremy I think as most criminal activity the false paper thing is done where it his hidden from the light of day so to speak...but really
nobody knows the whole truth except those that have done the crime and in the matter of dogs and other things there too many larger crimes that we all should be concerned about...I think that we should except the past breeding practices for what they were and go forward with absolute integrity....papers concern me only as a tool. I believe that a dog should be taken at face value...if I like him I like no matter what his papers say....I believe this is where preference trumps prejudice.

"go forward with absolute integrity" yes sir, I agree!

I know we can not control, or even know, what happened 75 yrs ago, but what if it wasn't too far back in the past...I believe all men, and dogs, should be taken at face value...but, afterwards, one may realize that they were just straight up taken...and, to go forward with absolute integrity, would require not dealing with those that lack integrity. So, it could boil down to honesty trumping dishonesty.

But, I was just curious as to how common it really is...is it so common that we as dogmen should turn a blind eye?

Last edited by Jeremy Gunter on 07-26-2013 at 07:52 PM

Old Post 07-26-2013 07:35 PM
Jeremy Gunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy Gunter Click here to Send Jeremy Gunter a Private Message Find more posts by Jeremy Gunter Add Jeremy Gunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Only the guys doing it would know , and they aint talking. How hard is it to order an extra set of puppy papers and then put them on the best pup out of a crossed litter? I lost a pup out of my litter so i have a set. But im gonna burn m!

Old Post 07-26-2013 08:51 PM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Gunter
UKC Forum Member

Well, people know...someone ALWAYS talks...even done in private, it will be made known to the public at some point in time...just seems like that is the way this life works.

Tn Russ...I've lost pups too, and burned the puppy papers asap.

But, someone always talks..eventually...at least it seems that way.

I'm just curious as to how common it is...the more I talk to different people...seems like it's fairly common. Just curious.

That is one of the biggest advantages to Treeing Curs and Treeing Feist...only conformation is size and ability...no closed Stud books...I'm sure false papers happen there as well, but there is no need, other than someone just wants to be dishonest...

Last edited by Jeremy Gunter on 07-26-2013 at 10:41 PM

Old Post 07-26-2013 09:40 PM
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

I hear you. I have no idea how often it happens. And probably we are better off not knowing. I tried treeing curs years ago and didn't like the results. Ive tried hybrids too .. had some good success with non register d full blood curs but couldnt give them away around here so i made up my mind on omcba and sticking with them.

Old Post 07-26-2013 10:20 PM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Gunter
UKC Forum Member

I just finished reading the thread "Mtn Cur Color"...didn't know you guys had already been discussing this topic...my thread was sparked by something totally different.

Thanks for the input, I've experienced this myself, and was just curious on the thoughts of others...even though I do not currently own a Mtn. Cur, the post in that thread was informative and answered some of my questions...yes, I'm all for DNA.

Last edited by Jeremy Gunter on 07-26-2013 at 10:43 PM

Old Post 07-26-2013 10:31 PM
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

In the 50 plus years of the OMCBA.....

......There have been 2 folks expelled from the membership, to the best of my knowledge, for falsely registering dogs. One permanently, the other for a period of years.

Mark.

Old Post 07-26-2013 10:32 PM
mdmorrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mdmorrison Click here to Send mdmorrison a Private Message Click Here to Email mdmorrison Visit mdmorrison's homepage! Find more posts by mdmorrison Add mdmorrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Gunter
UKC Forum Member

Re: In the 50 plus years of the OMCBA.....

quote:
Originally posted by mdmorrison
......There have been 2 folks expelled from the membership, to the best of my knowledge, for falsely registering dogs. One permanently, the other for a period of years.

Mark.

Thanks, Mark...sure there was more that needed to be expelled...I do not say this to singel out Mtn. Curs at all...never dealt with them a whole lot...just pointing out the ugly side of humans.

But, 2 in 50+ years is not a bad track record.

But, as I stated previously, I just now finished the "Mtn. Cur Color" thread...I posted this before I read that thread...my post was not breed specific...I was not talking about any breed inclusively.

Last edited by Jeremy Gunter on 07-26-2013 at 10:38 PM

Old Post 07-26-2013 10:35 PM
Frogdog
UKC Forum Member

Re: In the 50 plus years of the OMCBA.....

quote:
Originally posted by mdmorrison

Mark.

Who were the two people? I think I know of one.

Old Post 07-26-2013 11:36 PM
Frogdog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frogdog Click here to Send Frogdog a Private Message Click Here to Email Frogdog Find more posts by Frogdog Add Frogdog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TREE 'EM
UKC Forum Member

It's a more common problem than most people think. It's not always about financial gain. Ego often trumps honor when it comes to what's written on a set of papers.

I learned long ago to buy the dog not the breeding because I learned how deceiving a set of papers really is, especially DNA testing came along.

Jeremy, the short answer to your question is yes it happens with fair frequency across a broad spectrum of livestock breeders. And no I wouldn't let it dissuade me from a particular breeder, I just wouldn't talk papers and judge by the individual dog.

The AQHA figured out how to fix the problem, but then theres a lot of money at stake there so they had the means to do it right.

Old Post 07-27-2013 01:20 AM
TREE 'EM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TREE 'EM Click here to Send TREE 'EM a Private Message Click Here to Email TREE 'EM Visit TREE 'EM's homepage! Find more posts by TREE 'EM Add TREE 'EM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Remember one thing. The love of money is the root of all evil. All i really want is a natural born tree dog!! And man they are hard to get! Hope i have some juussst about ready.

Old Post 07-27-2013 02:23 AM
huntsmenbob
UKC Forum Member

I love omcba and really like a lot of treeing curs. I myself don't see how a person thinks they can get away with it because it is gonna show down the line. Lots of real good even great dogs have questionable ancestory and it has shown itself generations latter but those dogs were good or great and if I would be looking at a dog and it was out of a questionable line if I could tell that the dogs in the particular dog I was looking at met my standards then I really wouldn't have a problem with it as they would be far enough away from the questionable breeding to likely not have many of those questionable genes in the dog. I did make a mistake and bread to a dog that had a particular streak breed dog in it's pedigree and half of the dogs were real small and those dogs that were small did not turn out to be hard tree dogs like we all like but oddly enough these dogs retained enought of the qualities of my female that after almost three years of the breeding that people are contacting me asking if there are any out of her or comparable bloodlines out there. Just got a letter the other day from a man who tracked me down. My female is the best natured dog bar none that you would ever want to see and the pups got that from her and being that they are so loveable and easy to handle and such a pleasure to be in the woods folks overlook the fact that these little dogs aren't the hard treedogs like their momma is and they really want a dog out of the same cross but I would not do it again just for the fact that they were not the ultimate cross that I would like. Now if my female had a predictable heat cycle and I could breed her to Apache, Geronimo or Super Black Eagle I would gaurantee those pups would have the size, the hunt, and the handle that would satisfy bout anyone. Not saying any dogs in the stud of the litter was false papered 'cept maybe back a few generations and it showed up in about half the pups in my litter because she also had some of that particular dog in her and it just so lined up that it showed up. Now looking back the one dog that had that dog in it's pedigree was a great dog but small and had ears that would stand up at times. Bet half of you folks can guess the name of that dog that was in the pedigree now. I am sure Mr. Morrison can hit it right on the head because when I was researching the bloodline I came up with some threads where he was asking about this particular male.

Last edited by huntsmenbob on 07-27-2013 at 02:36 AM

Old Post 07-27-2013 02:25 AM
huntsmenbob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huntsmenbob Click here to Send huntsmenbob a Private Message Click Here to Email huntsmenbob Find more posts by huntsmenbob Add huntsmenbob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

It happens sometimes. I'm gong to tell you a true story. I know some of you have heard of Houses Lipper. Lipper probably has more pups on the ground than any other Treeing Walker. If not, he's close. He naturally has a bunch of Nite Ch. and Gr. Nites out of him. Well, I know a guy that bred to Lipper. He wanted a big litter to sell, so he also threw her in the pen with a young dog of his. I think he sold 10 or 11 out of this "litter". In a minute, you will all understand. OK.. the pups grow up and one is a real nice dog and she finishes out to Dual Gr. Ch. The guy is naturally proud and decides to have her DNA profiled. Well, they do the swab on her and it comes back that Lipper wasn't the sire. So, they go to tracking down the rest of the litter and test all of them. The results of this were crazy wild. Some were out of the right parents, some were out of the right female but not Lper and some weren't out of either.

With that being said..I am all in favor of DNA testing for all.

Old Post 07-27-2013 02:46 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fycedogs
Banned

No way to know what you got unless you breed what you got.

Old Post 07-27-2013 05:47 AM
fycedogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fycedogs Click here to Send fycedogs a Private Message Click Here to Email fycedogs Visit fycedogs's homepage! Find more posts by fycedogs Add fycedogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott Young
UKC Forum Member

Jeremy,
I know it happened and have seen it happen. I know several breeders that do it and I don't fool with them, but let me share some other perspectives.

I have over 200 pedigrees and have talked to three different registries and can tell you that many mistakes are made in clerical errors.

Also, there are accidents in breeding where two sires mate the same dam, and she throws a single litter.

Lastly, on large operations it is easy to send out the wrong pup paper especially when you have a couple litters on the ground at the same time. I have seen one kennel where two litters got mixed together and I wondered how other than DNA it was ever going to get resolved.

I DNA all my dogs that I breed now, but I don't the litter unless the customer wants the pup DNA'd and verified. That obviously increases the price, but that said I have never had any want to verify a pup. I give them the option and they seem comfortable with it. I don't have a large kennel so that has a lot to do with it.

Old Post 07-27-2013 04:50 PM
Scott Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott Young Click here to Send Scott Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott Young Find more posts by Scott Young Add Scott Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lfrisbie
UKC Forum Member

My dogs are also DNA profiled

Pine River Kennel

Old Post 07-27-2013 10:46 PM
lfrisbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lfrisbie Click here to Send lfrisbie a Private Message Click Here to Email lfrisbie Visit lfrisbie's homepage! Find more posts by lfrisbie Add lfrisbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frogdog
UKC Forum Member

Not talking about hounds just curs, who has been kicked out for this kind of stuff. What was is two years ago the vp of the Kemmer association was booted for false paper. Who in the OMCBA?

Old Post 07-28-2013 02:17 AM
Frogdog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frogdog Click here to Send Frogdog a Private Message Click Here to Email Frogdog Find more posts by Frogdog Add Frogdog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

I don't get why folks feel the need to do such things. I mean in the long run there is nothing to gain and people put faith in a breeder to give them what they pay for. But like a guy told me while I was still hunting hounds, "If it looks like a hound and hunts like a hound, who cares if the papers are right. All the papers do is get you in the hunt." I would say that there are a few Treeing curs hunting in the OMCBA just because they look like a cur and hunt like a cur. I know for a fact that I feel I can trust a few guys I have met on here to be straight and honest. But the dog trader will always be around.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Old Post 07-28-2013 02:37 AM
amazingcursouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amazingcursouth Click here to Send amazingcursouth a Private Message Find more posts by amazingcursouth Add amazingcursouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Gunter
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the comments!

Old Post 07-29-2013 02:50 PM
oldman
UKC Forum Member

the worst one i've heard of prospered quite a bit from false papers

Pound Va

Ph: 276-796-5321

i'm drinking from my saucer
cause my cup has overflowed

Old Post 07-29-2013 08:05 PM
oldman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldman Click here to Send oldman a Private Message Click Here to Email oldman Find more posts by oldman Add oldman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

Careful...

quote:
Originally posted by oldman
the worst one i've heard of prospered quite a bit from false papers

...that cup is 'bout to run over....Mr. Saucer-Lips...

Mark.

Old Post 07-30-2013 01:27 AM
mdmorrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mdmorrison Click here to Send mdmorrison a Private Message Click Here to Email mdmorrison Visit mdmorrison's homepage! Find more posts by mdmorrison Add mdmorrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
odg
UKC Forum Member

i think the only way it would matter is if you went to buy a pup and papers wernt rite other than that who really cares what happend years ago if someone told me my females papers wernt wright because her grandpaw was off of a fiest not a cur it wouldnt change anything hell i would have to say good job because i got a good one

Old Post 07-30-2013 01:43 AM
odg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for odg Click here to Send odg a Private Message Click Here to Email odg Find more posts by odg Add odg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeeterhawk7
UKC Forum Member

A Well Known Reputable Breeder that been line breeding his dogs for years and stands behinds his pups isn't gonna do that, at least the bredders I personally know and that's only two of them :-) they don't want their name on a hound that's not from them :-)

Old Post 07-30-2013 01:55 AM
skeeterhawk7 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeeterhawk7 Click here to Send skeeterhawk7 a Private Message Click Here to Email skeeterhawk7 Find more posts by skeeterhawk7 Add skeeterhawk7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McSquizzie
UKC Forum Member

Hearsay

Fact....yep, nowhere close. If u can't prove it, it's just another rumor.

Old Post 07-30-2013 02:53 AM
McSquizzie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for McSquizzie Click here to Send McSquizzie a Private Message Find more posts by McSquizzie Add McSquizzie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote