UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Mountian coons
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DannyRichardson
UKC Forum Member

Mountian coons

I live in southeastern ky . Big woods not alot of farm land. Coon population isnt great. I have always wondered why we dont have a better coon population compared to others. We have plenty white oak acorns, creeks, and rivers. Whats everyones opinion?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:49 AM
DannyRichardson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DannyRichardson Click here to Send DannyRichardson a Private Message Click Here to Email DannyRichardson Find more posts by DannyRichardson Add DannyRichardson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Coons

Danny, I live in East Tennessee and we used to have the same problem [few coons]. Our clubs bought and stocked coons for years, now we have several coons in our area. You have the habitat, you just need to stick and let multiply. We hardly killed coons years ago, and now we can harvest a reasonable amount without hurting the population. Hope this helps. Dave

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:55 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You don't have corn. Corn fields=coons...

Old Post 03-30-2018 04:16 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richardson

I've hunted around Williamsburg\Patterson creek\Jellico\Lafollett some tough hunting you might try trapping around those towns and populated area's and relocate some coons that's what I've done before. good luck and good hunting.

Old Post 03-30-2018 11:42 AM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

I am not far from jellico or ky but the problem I see we have is not the are or the problem with no feed it is people killing every coon they tree if we could cut down on that we would have more coons. But if you start trapping them in one area of the place you hunt you just hurt the population somewhere else .I wish our local twra would start caring about the small game instead of elk and turkey if they would stock coons like they did elk and turkey it would help alot

Old Post 03-30-2018 12:47 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
khester7923
UKC Forum Member

i live and hunt the mtns of tennessee and have asked this question several times. we have some of the best big timber and plenty of water about yr round. i agree that with people killing every coon it hurts way more than it helps. one thing that is really going to put a hurt on our coon population in tennessee is the opening of coon season during summer on private land. the kittens will still be hanging with mom and easy to pick off. we start killing year round and we might as well give it up. I wish more people would realize you dont have to give that young dog every coon they tree. i believe in making that dog want more and more by not giving them everyone...JMO...I wish the coon hunters would get together like the deer and turkey hunters and start leasing big areas and manage the population better. again JMO...i also trap in nuissence areas and transplant to hunting spots...and feed them after i release to get them staying. im open for any and all ideas on this.

Old Post 03-30-2018 01:36 PM
khester7923 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for khester7923 Click here to Send khester7923 a Private Message Click Here to Email khester7923 Find more posts by khester7923 Add khester7923 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

There are several states with a year round season and it doesn’t effect the population. I don’t believe most kill every coon they tree. I knock out as many with the season opened year round as when season opened in the fall. I like most would give a coon to a young dog if I think they needed it no matter the time of year. With that said probally don’t kill 30-40 a year most years.

Old Post 03-30-2018 02:18 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Coons move to,populated areas because that is where the food is. Relocating them won't help unless you feed them. Turkeys eat all of the acorns now. If you want more coons you will have to kill all of the turkeys.

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mountian coons

quote:
Originally posted by DannyRichardson
I live in southeastern ky . Big woods not alot of farm land.

Could it be you have coons but they just aren't concentrated to one area? Was hunting with a guy from Mississippi a long time ago and he said they had as many coons as I did but they were not concentrated as much due to the larger woods.

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:17 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

I think the post about early kill season is the truth I have talked to many young hunters when we were trying to lobby to stop it from oening that said they loved it they wanted to kill more and you are right if the coon hunters would band together like deer and turkey hunters we might see some changes small changes but changes non the less. . A few farms I hunt the permission was granted as long as I kill every coon I tree but I try not to hunt these farms that much there are coons there and I hope they stay for a while . So I take it easy and most time I can tree a few. Good thing is they don't want me to break the law so I have a couple months where I don't have to carry a gun. I also like what was said about young dogs not needing a pile of coons if they need one every tree cull it get a coon dog hides don't bring anything I don't have to eat coon yet thank the Lord so why kill a bunch just to hurt population and then throw them in a ditch somewhere

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:32 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That is a good point Mr Felderman. In the North, they will have 100 acres of corn and a 10 acre patch of woods. That 10 acre patch of woods will have 10 coons in it. So do they have 1 coon per acre?

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:33 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You can only have as many coon as the food source will support. That is how nature operates. If you have 3 sows one year, you will have 9-12 coons the next year if there is food for them. If there isn't then you will only have 3 coons again the next year. Up North or in West Tennessee they have plenty of cornfields so the food supply is abundant and so are the coons.

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:42 PM
English blues 9
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richard

He have a decent coon population here in west tn but it is hard to get permission because of the Almighty Deer Hunter! We have a state park with 48,000 acres but they are cutting all the timber off of it everyday. And since nobody can get permission we all hunt the state park so it is hunted to death. It's a shame but in 15 years we won't have anywhere to go.

Old Post 03-30-2018 05:59 PM
English blues 9 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for English blues 9 Click here to Send English blues 9 a Private Message Find more posts by English blues 9 Add English blues 9 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

My father in law was out of a holler in coal country belfry kentucky. I asked him about coon population he said "son if it moved we shot it and ate it" not to many around here.

Old Post 03-30-2018 06:45 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

I hunt the high mountains of West Virginia mostly on public land. Our coon population is highly dependent on the mast crop of acorn, wild cherry and beech nuts. I also believe it depends on how bad the weather is in late spring when the kittens are being born. Sometimes we have snow up into late spring and food is hard to find for pregnant and nursing females making it hard to raise a good litter.
Some years we have a decent amount of coon and some you can barely find a coon but even our best years we have nowhere near the population as other places.

We don't have a handful of coon hunters in several counties so there's no way they're getting over hunted.

Old Post 03-30-2018 08:35 PM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Dave Richards are you anywhere near Powell or Knoxville?

Old Post 03-30-2018 08:49 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Bruce Conkey

Bruce, I am about 90 miles east of Knoxville, Tennessee, bordering southwest Virginia. Dave

Old Post 03-30-2018 08:57 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fire Archer
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by khester7923
i live and hunt the mtns of tennessee and have asked this question several times. we have some of the best big timber and plenty of water about yr round. i agree that with people killing every coon it hurts way more than it helps. one thing that is really going to put a hurt on our coon population in tennessee is the opening of coon season during summer on private land. the kittens will still be hanging with mom and easy to pick off. we start killing year round and we might as well give it up. I wish more people would realize you dont have to give that young dog every coon they tree. i believe in making that dog want more and more by not giving them everyone...JMO...I wish the coon hunters would get together like the deer and turkey hunters and start leasing big areas and manage the population better. again JMO...i also trap in nuissence areas and transplant to hunting spots...and feed them after i release to get them staying. im open for any and all ideas on this.

I agree with not killing every coon. I have a 2 year old dog that got 3 coons knocked out to him in last 6 months. He probably hasnt had a dozen put out on him in his whole life and he still loves to tree them. Its different if you are selling hides but most are left in the woods for the other critters to feed on or rot.

Old Post 03-30-2018 09:06 PM
Fire Archer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fire Archer Click here to Send Fire Archer a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Archer Add Fire Archer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

as Mr Richardson said plenty of food but also a lot of country coons may be spread out so adding more coons can't hurt.

Old Post 03-31-2018 03:57 AM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

I am with Richard on this one, Food=Coons
I have friends in town who live in subdivisions and are over run with coon, can catch me one every night of the year, they are eating the dog food and cat food out of the garages and back porches.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 03-31-2018 12:55 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

I have also noticed on our Mtns. we have Pigeon and Lookout that everything is fighting over the acorn crop, coons, Turkey, deer, squirrels etc..... So easy food is what keeps them.
We have some corn feeders with a camera on them and those "doe's" will wear a coons head out over some corn....lol

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 03-31-2018 01:03 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I've been trying to say food = coon for a long time. That's why our coon population here isn't what it was in the 60's - 80's. The farms have all pretty much shut down here. Where there was a farm or several on every road, there's none in comparison. The farms that are left around here I won't run a dog on. They're right next to busy roads or highways. Very few farms that still plant corn and are dairies.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 03-31-2018 02:10 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Coon population seems to be controlled by Food, Harvest (man or predators) and Sickness. I think the food and water have to be there first for the foundation of the population grow and stay. Then the numbers are controlled by harvest and illness.

Most areas have some type of food year round for the coon but there are some that food is available at times and then they have to wonder off to get something to eat. A lot of them never come back.

Have some property in the mountains of east TN and the coon population on the deer feeders seems to be good. LOL

People have opinions on deer feeders that their purpose is to make it easy for hunters to harvest game over them. In most states that is not legal including TN. The purpose of the feeders is to allow game to populate property because food is there. Then they raise young there and they have food. Just like it is with coon having food available year round and to stay within range of that food.

Sickness can put a dent in your coon in a hurry.

My Son lives in a semi populated area of the mountains in east tn and about every year a sow coon raised a litter eating the cat food off their front porch.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 03-31-2018 at 04:01 PM

Old Post 03-31-2018 03:10 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Has she had her babies yet this year?

Old Post 03-31-2018 03:24 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Richard my Sons Daughter got married about a year ago and when she left she took the cats and the cat food with her. The coon stopped coming around also.

Old Post 03-31-2018 04:00 PM