UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Mules and Coonhounds/Squirrel dogs
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GYSKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

Mules and Coonhounds/Squirrel dogs

I would like to see some close ups of how the dogs are hooked up to the mules from different hunting mule riders,i have hunted dogs from Arkansas that were broke to lead in front of the mules so they pulled like crazy on the leash from habit of staying out of reach of hooves,pros and cons of front or back leading opinions wanted and if you have a certain rig/lead you have made or use I'd like to know about them,,I'll send someone a pic of my molly if you can post it by phone text

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-02-2018 12:11 AM
GYSKENNELS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GYSKENNELS Click here to Send GYSKENNELS a Private Message Click Here to Email GYSKENNELS Find more posts by GYSKENNELS Add GYSKENNELS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

Snap your leash to your back cinch or your britchen.

Old Post 01-02-2018 01:10 AM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Reynolds
UKC Forum Member

I break mine to follow so I don’t have to lead them. Use a collar to teach them to follow only when they are dragging a dog lead. That way they learn the difference of when you want them to go and when you dont.

If I have one I have to lead, I have panic snap attached to the pommel of my saddle. I snap the dog lead to it so that if they get tangled or the mule does something and the lead gets tight I can easily get the lead loose. I had a friend that had a real nice Gr Nt English dog get killed because his mule ran off and the dog lead was around the horn.

Last edited by Mike Reynolds on 01-02-2018 at 02:41 AM

Old Post 01-02-2018 01:37 AM
Mike Reynolds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Reynolds Click here to Send Mike Reynolds a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Reynolds Find more posts by Mike Reynolds Add Mike Reynolds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GYSKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Reynolds
I break mine to follow so I don’t have to lead them. Use a collar to teach them to follow only when they are dragging a dog lead. That way they learn the difference of when you want them to go and when you dont.

If I have one I have to lead, I have panic snap attached to the pommel of my saddle. I snap the dog lead to it so that if they get tangled or the mule does something and the lead gets tight I can easily get the lead loose. I had a friend that had a real nice Gr Nt English dog get killed because his mule ran off and the dog lead was around the horn.

.....................................................................how long of a lead do you use with the panic snap and do you have the hound follow or lead

Old Post 01-02-2018 02:56 AM
GYSKENNELS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GYSKENNELS Click here to Send GYSKENNELS a Private Message Click Here to Email GYSKENNELS Find more posts by GYSKENNELS Add GYSKENNELS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Reynolds
UKC Forum Member

PM me your number and I will send you a pic when I can. I make them either follow or walk right beside me if I am leading them. Never out in front of me. Takes a longer custom lead to get them behind.

Last edited by Mike Reynolds on 01-02-2018 at 03:06 AM

Old Post 01-02-2018 02:59 AM
Mike Reynolds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Reynolds Click here to Send Mike Reynolds a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Reynolds Find more posts by Mike Reynolds Add Mike Reynolds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GYSKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

Pm sent to you Mike also for anyone else who may want to send me pictures my number is 18042295388........also still want to see pictures of others hunters rigs for this dogs and mules thanks

Old Post 01-02-2018 03:09 AM
GYSKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

Somebody who can post pictures to this thread send me a text alot of pictures of nice mules and dogs are being texted to me I guess I'm not the only one who isn't a technical guy if you don't mind posting them I will send them to you and these guys can claim their mules

Old Post 01-02-2018 03:41 AM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Send them to me, I'll post them for you.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 01-03-2018 02:39 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GYSKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

Thanks hobo ,I had to look up the panic snap I didn't know what one was anyone got a picture they can post of this for others to see would like to see more pics keep them comingwhere's the red fever and crew yall have pictures of what I'm looking for I'm sure I hunt red ones too had a "Paris "city of lights pup named candy

Old Post 01-03-2018 11:14 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 01-04-2018 02:24 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GYSKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

The first picture at the top is my new project pumpkin she is 13.2 hands the other mules and kids belong to other coon hunters on this site

Old Post 01-04-2018 03:56 PM
mulerider
UKC Forum Member

The last mule with the walkers looks like a really special mule. I wonder if its for sale? Wish i could find one like that. The other two look great also.

I very seldom lead a dog whether on a mule or walking. I train them to heel and just call them and away we go. I Have had some real rodeos leading dogs so decided teaching them to heel and come was a better answer.

Old Post 01-04-2018 04:27 PM
mulerider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mulerider Click here to Send mulerider a Private Message Find more posts by mulerider Add mulerider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J&J BACKWOODS
UKC Forum Member

This is one thing I have always wanted to experience. Ive always thought that it was a lost art.

In God we trust

Old Post 01-07-2018 05:34 PM
J&J BACKWOODS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J&J BACKWOODS Click here to Send J&J BACKWOODS a Private Message Click Here to Email J&J BACKWOODS Find more posts by J&J BACKWOODS Add J&J BACKWOODS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 01-07-2018 06:36 PM
GYSKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

Tttop

Old Post 01-10-2018 11:34 AM
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

A mule will wait his WHOLE life just to kick you once !!

However, the funnest coonhunt ive ever been on in my life was off of a mule.

Old Post 01-10-2018 08:03 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

I've had a lot of good times hunting the "rough ground" off a mule in these Ozark hills.

Old Post 01-10-2018 08:28 PM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GYSKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

Up

Old Post 01-12-2018 10:30 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 01-13-2018 01:37 AM
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

I love these pics!!!!!!!

It's been at least 13 years since I coon hunted off mules. I had 3 good little mules. Every one of them had there own thing about 'em, their own personality, but they would go anywhere.

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:42 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Red Fever
UKC Forum Member

I finally got around to getting some pictures rounded up for you with the guys leading the dogs. I had a slight problem.....my old computer went down last year, and the external drive that I supposedly saved my pictures on didn't work. All the pictures were also saved on Photobucket, so I had to transfer them over to Postimage. Anyway, Aubrey leads them by hanging onto the lead (holding it behind him, and the dogs follow the mule) through the woods, but usually he will snap them on the side of the breast collar if he's out in the open.

Aubrey and Ann Butler

VISIT: http://redfeverredbones.tripod.com/

Check Out Our What's Available Page For Upcoming Litters

Home of:
GRNITCH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH PR Jack Pine Duke (only current living Quad Grand)
GRNITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH PR Red Fever Hot Iron Ox (October 2017 #6 Current Reproducer)
GRNITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH PR Red Fever Gangsters Pair A Dice
GRNITECH GRFCH GRCH PR Red Ryders Red Fever Tater (2013 ARCA Overall Hunt Winner)
NITECH GRCH PR' Two Worlds Collide (2 wins towards GRNITE, pts toward FCH WCH, Former #1 Reproducer)
NITECH GRWCH GRFCH GRCH PR Red Fever Razor's Rip N Tear
NITECH GRFCH GRCH WCH Red Fever Ain't Going Down
NITECH GRCH PR Tree Rizin' Razor's Lil' Ghost
NITECH GRFCH GRCH PR Red Fever Full of Mischief
NITECH GRFCH PR Red Fever Phantom By Moonlight
NITECH FCH GRCH PR Goza's Sing Along Country Girl
NITECH GRCH PR Red Fever Let Er Rip Taterchip
NITECH WCH GRCH GRFCH PR Red Fever Baby Likes To Rock
FCH CH PR Red Fever Rip Tearn' Beast Mode (wins toward NITECH, WCH)
WCH CH PR Red Fever Beware The Ricochet (wins toward FCH, NITECH)

****We use and recommend BLAZER Lights****

Old Post 01-14-2018 03:53 AM
Red Fever is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Red Fever Click here to Send Red Fever a Private Message Click Here to Email Red Fever Visit Red Fever's homepage! Find more posts by Red Fever Add Red Fever to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

Boy I like these pictures...i had mules in the early 90's sure do miss them....

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:31 AM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GYSKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

Keep the pictures coming,leads, jumping,and other helpful tips

Old Post 01-18-2018 01:55 AM
GYSKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Old Post 01-20-2018 04:41 PM
CARL GUDGEON
UKC Forum Member

Pic

https://s10.postimg.org/g01yjqwyx/mule_ride_010.jpg

Lost most of my mule pic.

NT CH GR F CH CH'PR' RED FEVER CHIEF -

'PR' GUDGEON'S TAKE A CHANCE - POINTS TOWARDS CH and WCH

Nt Ch GR CH 'PR' GUDGEON'S CLYDE "JUNIOR" AND POINTS TOWARD FT CH

'PR' GUDGEON'S LIVING THE DREAM (Dreamer) 2 1st place wins
PR GUDGEON'S MAGGIE
CH 'PR' GUDGEON'S WILD WILLY
PR GUDGEON'S Fog Horn
PR GUDGEON'S JACK
'PR'GUDGEON'S SING ALONG DANCE

Old Post 01-24-2018 12:19 AM
CARL GUDGEON is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CARL GUDGEON Click here to Send CARL GUDGEON a Private Message Click Here to Email CARL GUDGEON Find more posts by CARL GUDGEON Add CARL GUDGEON to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote