UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Training methods
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DMW
UKC Forum Member

Training methods

Just wondering about methods of working with a young dog that meets you at the tree. You know, when you're approaching and the dog leaves the tree and meets you and runs back to it.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-24-2019 01:14 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Switch, negative reinforcement.....

Old Post 01-24-2019 01:59 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Tie him where he meets u. . . And proceed to the tree.
Knock it out . . . If it warrants it, the dog will tell u if it wants it or not, if not lev it in the tree.

Negative reinforce (B S )!

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:00 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Negative reinforcement r left for brutes than cant or won't THINK !

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:06 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Richard. It always worked for me.

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:25 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

I've used both methods. Tie them back when they are just starting to tree. Switch them when they have been treeing and know they are supposed to be there.

The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win. Everyone wants to win but not everyone wants to prepare to win." - Bobby Knight

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:34 PM
Blacklabel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blacklabel Click here to Send Blacklabel a Private Message Click Here to Email Blacklabel Find more posts by Blacklabel Add Blacklabel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Scold the pup with a stern no and just walk past it and go on to the tree. Don’t give it any attention until it gets up on the tree. You can place your hand on the tree and the pup will usually get up on the tree and then you can give it a pet on the head. After doing this for a week or so then some light switching when he meets you will usually finish the job.

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:37 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Dog is looking for attention or approval so dont show any attention away from tree (negative reinforcement) included. Just ignore dog walk right on past to tree then tie it up. If that dont work after few trees. As previously said tie dog bout 40 ft roll few coon out other dogs couple times. But dont let pup get close to coon just take it to truck.

Any time I can fix a problem with out switching shocking ect I will just for fact that half time I fix one prob but cause another. Switching dog might work but might also make it hard catch.

Dogs all have different personality what works on one for one guy might not work on next dog for next guy.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:41 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

If the pup doesn’t want to tree after you get there then I would leash it where it meets you and go on to the tree without it like some of the others mentioned.

Old Post 01-24-2019 02:43 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

What has worked for me is I grab them up where they meet me and I spank them all the way back to the tree then get them up on it and treeing good and lay on the praise at that point. They quickly learn that coming off is bad and stay up on that tree is good. Most pups and young dogs don't want anything more than to please, you just have to teach them what gets praise and what gets correction.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 01-24-2019 03:19 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

Good info... Thanks.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Last edited by DMW on 01-25-2019 at 12:15 PM

Old Post 01-24-2019 06:41 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote