UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Eherlichia
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

Eherlichia

I have been told conflicting opinions about whether you can continue to hunt your dog while treating with Doxycycline. My vet said it should not affect the treatment at all. What have you done?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-15-2021 05:37 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Doesn't affect the treatment, dog won't do as good however. They are sick so I wouldn't hunt as hard but shouldn't affect "treatment".

Old Post 04-16-2021 02:47 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

How long after treatment does it take for the dog to get back right?

Old Post 04-16-2021 03:33 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Hunting

Seemed to make the female I had over heat while she was on the Doxy. Hard on them I think
She only lived another 5-6 months after I found out she had Lymes.
From my experience I wouldn’t hunt a dog while being treated with Doxycycline. JMO

Old Post 04-16-2021 05:04 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I've been told by a vet to limit exercise when treating with Doxy. An immune system fighting a virus, along with antibiotics in the system can cause the dog to run hot and/or not perform. Better to rest them and start fresh on the other side of it.

Old Post 04-16-2021 02:12 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TBO kennels
UKC Forum Member

Ive hunted them on DOXY but take it easy and keep them hydrated. Ive never had one fully recover from Erlichia. I hope yours is different. Also the doxy could kill there nose for around 3-4 weeks after the last dose. Ive had 4-5 with this and they have all been affected long term. I have had good luck treating the lymes and having recovery. Imizol will help the most but good luck finding it. I havent found it for two years.

Dave Trumbo II
Kouts, IN
219-309-9257
Home of :
"GR NT CH TBO's Lucy Lawless"

R.I.P. :
"GR NT CH Chief Executive"
"GR NT CH Trumbos Lady"

Old Post 04-16-2021 02:24 PM
TBO kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TBO kennels Click here to Send TBO kennels a Private Message Find more posts by TBO kennels Add TBO kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion people blame problems on the Doxy instead of the reason their dog is being treated with the Doxy. They call it tick fever for a reason. The dog can run a high temp. Overheating has nothing to do with the Doxy.

Lymes is more deadly than Erlichia but short term and easier to treat. Erlichia is more long term and usually becomes chronic. In other words, Lymes can kill your dog but Erlichia just makes them sick. Once you cure the Lymes with Doxy, it is gone but Erlichia usually comes and goes for the rest of the dogs life. Imizol will treat one rare type of Erlichia but has little effect on the other types. Now this has been just my experience.

Old Post 04-16-2021 03:17 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh yeah, the best treatment is to keep ticks off your dogs.

Old Post 04-16-2021 03:22 PM
TBO kennels
UKC Forum Member

I use Seresto collars, Simparica pills, frontline one spot, and spray with permethrin. My last 4 good dogs all got tick diseases that ended there careers prematurely.

Dave Trumbo II
Kouts, IN
219-309-9257
Home of :
"GR NT CH TBO's Lucy Lawless"

R.I.P. :
"GR NT CH Chief Executive"
"GR NT CH Trumbos Lady"

Old Post 04-16-2021 03:55 PM
TBO kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TBO kennels Click here to Send TBO kennels a Private Message Find more posts by TBO kennels Add TBO kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Doxy

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
In my opinion people blame problems on the Doxy instead of the reason their dog is being treated with the Doxy. They call it tick fever for a reason. The dog can run a high temp. Overheating has nothing to do with the Doxy.

Lymes is more deadly than Erlichia but short term and easier to treat. Erlichia is more long term and usually becomes chronic. In other words, Lymes can kill your dog but Erlichia just makes them sick. Once you cure the Lymes with Doxy, it is gone but Erlichia usually comes and goes for the rest of the dogs life. Imizol will treat one rare type of Erlichia but has little effect on the other types. Now this has been just my experience.

Doxy does not cure Lymes. Once they get it they will always have it. At least it wasn’t like that with my dog. She was treated 3 times and got better once but shortly after relapsed twice then died at a young age.
I like to use the seresto collars but been seeing too many recalls. Just my opinion

Old Post 04-18-2021 02:27 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

From what I been told by my Vet is that the “genuine” Seresto collar is safe. The problems are coming from the off brand collars that are packaging their product to look like Seresto’s. He encourages people to use the Seresto brand.

Old Post 04-19-2021 01:07 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Been dealing with this stuff for a few years.. When we get a flare up I typically don't hunt him for 4-5 days after we start on the Doxy and then begin hunting again but not every night all night.. And if it's hot out leave them sit... Doxy will make them run hot as mentioned above..

Cool/cold weather mine performs fine while on the Doxy.. FWIW

Old Post 04-21-2021 01:15 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote