UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hair issue
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Hair issue

I’ve got a 8 year old male that had had a hair issue for the most part of his life. His hair from his neck to his tail is thin and you can see his skin in mist areas ! I’ve took him too three different vets over the years and no one knows what is wrong ? He’s had some blood work done and it shows his thyroid level was little low and he was put on meds for a little while but it never help his hair issue. One vet said it could be hormones ? I’ve tried lots of shampoos and different locations ! The only thing that has helped is giving him a melatonin tablet daily , but it’s not happen now! I’m considering taking him back to the vet and home
Hopefully get some more blood work done! He’s over 8 year old not sure if I want to spend more money for nothing!? This issue hasn't effected his hunting he still trees coons and gets deep !
Has anyone had a problem like this?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-07-2019 01:39 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Old Post 11-08-2019 03:05 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

I've got a bulldog that has always had skin problems, we switched his feed to 4health fish and potato and it really helped his hair grow back. Don't know if it would help but it may be worth a try.

Old Post 11-08-2019 07:45 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Food or bedding

The Dogs I've had with hair problems, it ended up related to food or bedding. I've also given a Benadryl pill daily for allergy.
Some dogs I've had were allergic to wheat straw and wheat in the food. I bed with pine shavings year around, but for about a month in the winter I use straw when temps get below freezing. So the Benadryl keeps them looking good and not scratching.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-08-2019 09:25 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote