UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Alpha problems! Shocking dogs again
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dpagliai
New UKC Forum Member

Alpha problems! Shocking dogs again

This is the second time my alpha has started shocking my dogs when you push any of the three buttons on the top! I have sent it off once and now I’m getting a new unit and collars but i don’t feel like that’s enough I have pretty well ruined a very nice 2 year old dog who went from treeing coons every night to now just running and won’t do anything I’m sure she will come out of it but it is very frustrating! My partner had the exact same thing happen and garmin acts like it’s a very uncommon issue.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-01-2019 06:50 PM
Dpagliai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dpagliai Click here to Send Dpagliai a Private Message Find more posts by Dpagliai Add Dpagliai to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The training buttons can be set up so that every button shocks. If you think that is a possibility of what happened. I would suggest going to You Tube and there are several videos on the different set ups. Might give some more insight into your problem.

I can make all three buttons shock different dogs. I can make all the buttons shock one dog. I can do any combinations of shock, vibrate or tone from any button to any dog.

Old Post 11-01-2019 07:33 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

And that's a problem????? Mine need it most of the time anyway!!!!
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 11-01-2019 10:08 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dpagliai
New UKC Forum Member

I did not know that the buttons could be set up any different but I know that I’m not changing it or doing anything different! One night it will be normal the next it will shock my collars from any of the three buttons! Apperantly something must be messed up if they are sending me all new collars and hand held!

Old Post 11-01-2019 10:45 PM
Dpagliai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dpagliai Click here to Send Dpagliai a Private Message Find more posts by Dpagliai Add Dpagliai to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfoster533
UKC Forum Member

I have the Alpha system and don't like the touch screen interface for use with the training, (shock), functions. All too often, when I put the handheld in its holster and don't lock the screen, its bounces around and changes all kinds of settings. I have even had it delete dogs from the dog list. Now, I know you are supposed to lock the screen when you put it up and I do it most of the time, but that makes it very cumbersome when hunting multiple dogs and you need to make a quick correction. I have to press the power button and then lock and unlock the screen on the touchscreen. One of the biggest shortcomings with the alpha is that you don't have a hardware button that you can setup to lock and unlock the screen.

Old Post 11-03-2019 03:13 PM
jfoster533 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jfoster533 Click here to Send jfoster533 a Private Message Find more posts by jfoster533 Add jfoster533 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrr
UKC Forum Member

Ive always worried about that, that's why mine are setup as one button per collar and all collars are set to tone, it takes a couple seconds to bump it up to shock but I feel better knowing they wont accidently get shocked

712-438-0438

Old Post 11-03-2019 03:25 PM
mrr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mrr Click here to Send mrr a Private Message Click Here to Email mrr Find more posts by mrr Add mrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G. JEFFERS
UKC Forum Member

Alpha

I set my backlighting @ 30 seconds and put it in my vest after it turns off and when I need it again I just touch the screen I never lock the screen or have any issues hope this helps.

Jeffers' Bear Creek Big T (CH GRNITECH Goodsons Rowdy Bocephus X GRNITECH CH Koon Krossin Rambo’s Blue Gritts)

And always looking for a better one

Old Post 11-03-2019 03:27 PM
G. JEFFERS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G. JEFFERS Click here to Send G. JEFFERS a Private Message Click Here to Email G. JEFFERS Find more posts by G. JEFFERS Add G. JEFFERS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Dpagliai- Im not sure others are understanding but I think I do as I witnessed something similar with my system however I only seen it happen once.

I have owned an Alpha for probably 5 years now. I have always used it in the low shock mode but about 9 months ago I thought I would experiment with trying to educate my hound to the Tone mode. Well I toned her a few nights and she seemed to pick right up that the tone meant she better start listening to what I am saying.

Then one night she had worked a bad track to a rock cliff den and stayed at the den barking intermittently. When she seen me coming in to get her she peeled out and started trying to get out of there without me catching her, as that seems to be her issue, she really only lets you catch her at a tree.

When I hit the Tone button she initially yelped, and I could see her body flinch as if she had been shocked. Now she only yelped the first time I hit the tone button and I was looking right at her when I did so. She then started to motor off and I hit the Tone button a second time, and she didn't yelp, but did seem to know she may be in trouble and with the second tone, she came to me.

Now I have toned her a few times since then but she has never yelped again, and Im not one to use the shock/tone feature very often. Mostly for barking in the haul box on our way to the woods. She now seems to respond to the tone, and I love that. And thankfully she has never acted like the tone button has ever shocked her again, but that one time it does appear as if it shocked her initially and then just toned her. Idon't know why I simply know it was weird

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 11-04-2019 03:55 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote