UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Fresh Chilled Semen
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Fresh Chilled Semen

What is the process, cost and success rate using fresh chilled semen?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-19-2019 01:40 AM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

Look on the Camelot Farms site. You can order supplies thru them too

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 02-19-2019 04:08 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Cost and success rate all depends on the person/facility doing the collection, shipping and insemination of the semen. There are a whole lot of variables.

Old Post 02-19-2019 04:36 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

WAYYYYY better than frozen.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 02-19-2019 05:00 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

It is the cheapest way to go.
Find a good vet, set up your blood tests and go from there. The breeding is the easy part.

Proud home to;

ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~

~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 02-19-2019 07:33 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

I have had 3 litters off frozen 8-9-11 pups one off chilled 3 2 werE dead at delivery old female .all of it is fine to use the key is the man testing the female and implanting the semen no better then dean bietzel wabash indiana at never gone "" he will also educate you while you are there, and you will understand the time differences etc on frozen versus chilled , a trip worth taking if you want to breed your hounds

Old Post 02-19-2019 08:16 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Guess I’m looking for more details on the process. I have the basic idea but still have some question.

I understand that chilled semen can survive 3-5 days. While frozen is lucky to last 24 hrs. If the viability of the chilled is that good can a person forgo the progesterone test and still have almost as good results as live breeding? I would think someone that is monitoring their gyp’s heat cycle closely (counting days, waiting for the blood to change and checking if the gyp will stand for a male) could do it theirself but it seems like most think it takes at least a vet if not an expert to be successful.

Just doesn’t seem like it should be that complicated to me.

Old Post 02-19-2019 09:06 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeff thomley
UKC Forum Member

I ship chilled semen all the time. Just last year 8 out 10 shipped had pups , but this is on French bulldogs . I have tried to convince hound people that this is quickest easiest way to get their hound bred unless they live next door to the stud they are using . I do only AI breeding to every dog I own , never do natural any more . There are many good reasons to do this . First shipping is between 120 to 180 overnight just about any where in the US. I am in Arkansas , and let’s say you are in New York , you can’t drive here for that . You can call me on a Monday and have your gyp bred next day . Second if you are stud owner , what if something happens to him breeding ? Gyp could have something wrong with her , your stud could rupture etc .

Csg Pkc ch grch grnite coopers stormin Ike
2017 top 10 reproducer, top 5 per sire
2016 top 10 reproducer,top 5 perf sire

2015 perf sire- top 10 reproducers list, top 5 perf pt sire-#1 akc b&t show dog of yr- sire of queen of show at b&t days this year
Grch grnite thomleys big boy
2014 - 1st place reg -ark at hunt, 2014 King of show b&t sect- gill, 2015 King of show b&t sect- plainview, 2015 winter classic best in breed dual ch, 2015 King of show and King of hunt - b&t sect gill
4th place all black hunt -2016 b&t days

Old Post 02-20-2019 02:41 AM
jeff thomley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeff thomley Click here to Send jeff thomley a Private Message Click Here to Email jeff thomley Find more posts by jeff thomley Add jeff thomley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedSealKennels
UKC Forum Member

I haven't ever used artificial insemination for the dogs. But I work on a hog farm and that's how all the big farms either hogs or cattle breed their livestock. It doesnt take an expert to do it and you get the same results as a natural breeding. We get fresh semen shipped to us twice a week and it's good for around 4 days. The main concern is keeping it at the right temperature. It may be different for dogs idk but with pigs we keep the semen stored between 60 and 68 degrees. When it's time to breed you just insert a rod in the animal that your breeding and attach the bag of semen. We usually do 2-3 matings for each animal and have a good conception rate.

Old Post 02-20-2019 02:28 PM
RedSealKennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedSealKennels Click here to Send RedSealKennels a Private Message Click Here to Email RedSealKennels Find more posts by RedSealKennels Add RedSealKennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jgarrett
Guess I’m looking for more details on the process. I have the basic idea but still have some question.

I understand that chilled semen can survive 3-5 days. While frozen is lucky to last 24 hrs. If the viability of the chilled is that good can a person forgo the progesterone test and still have almost as good results as live breeding? I would think someone that is monitoring their gyp’s heat cycle closely (counting days, waiting for the blood to change and checking if the gyp will stand for a male) could do it theirself but it seems like most think it takes at least a vet if not an expert to be successful.

Just doesn’t seem like it should be that complicated to me.

Having progesterone tests run during the cycle is the only way to know when she is ovulating. We have used chilled semen many times and done the insemination ourselves and been successful.
As I said, check out Camelot Farms. They have everything you need except the bitch in heat and the person to hold her still.

Proud home to;

~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~

~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty

Old Post 02-20-2019 02:49 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RedSealKennels
I haven't ever used artificial insemination for the dogs. But I work on a hog farm and that's how all the big farms either hogs or cattle breed their livestock. It doesnt take an expert to do it and you get the same results as a natural breeding. We get fresh semen shipped to us twice a week and it's good for around 4 days. The main concern is keeping it at the right temperature. It may be different for dogs idk but with pigs we keep the semen stored between 60 and 68 degrees. When it's time to breed you just insert a rod in the animal that your breeding and attach the bag of semen. We usually do 2-3 matings for each animal and have a good conception rate.
nobody in the cattle industry uses fresh semen. Just frozen or a bull. Which ever is convenient. That is the problem with dogs frozen is not convenient and gets expense. Fresh is convenient but without the testing done on the female it's a gamble. I have been told u can get the test kit online but pulling blood isn't for everyone.

Old Post 02-20-2019 06:47 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
nobody in the cattle industry uses fresh semen. Just frozen or a bull. Which ever is convenient. That is the problem with dogs frozen is not convenient and gets expense. Fresh is convenient but without the testing done on the female it's a gamble. I have been told u can get the test kit online but pulling blood isn't for everyone.
Incorrect, we and several others ship fresh chilled semen off a Simmental and Angus bulls quite often and do several embryo transfers a year too.

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Last edited by wjoey on 02-23-2019 at 12:35 AM

Old Post 02-23-2019 12:29 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Well I stand corrected Joe. I haven't heard of anyone in cattle doing that for about 30 years. ( more so in dairy cattle)
Anyway convenient's is were it's at followed by money.

Old Post 02-23-2019 02:21 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
Well I stand corrected Joe. I haven't heard of anyone in cattle doing that for about 30 years. ( more so in dairy cattle)
Anyway convenient's is were it's at followed by money.

Were very lucky to have a AI facility right beside us and several farms that use it . Its mainly used due to the nature of 2 of the farms high dollar bulls not mine :0

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 02-23-2019 05:20 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote