UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Who is using the dogtra pathfinder
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Who is using the dogtra pathfinder

I need to upgrade and not sure what I want saw these units and considering one any input would be appreciated

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-15-2019 04:50 PM
markncole is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markncole Click here to Send markncole a Private Message Click Here to Email markncole Find more posts by markncole Add markncole to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Like it

That is what I’m using and I like it far better than my Garmin. I can only tell you my experience but I have had no issues with it draining my phone battery, love the detail of the map, easy to navigate through and I run 2 dogs with mine. Again, just my opinion and experience after 2 seasons with it. Bonus is that it is much cheaper to get setup with.

Old Post 02-15-2019 05:41 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

I had one, but returned it

I returned it and got the Alpha. I had trouble with the Pathfinder taking forever to sync with my dog. It would eventually, but sometimes it was after I cast him, that always made me nervous, but I guess I was more impatient than nervous. I doubt your phone is waterproof, the Alpha recriver is. Also, having the large buttons on the Alpha made using the training functions very easy. There where a couple times I think the software glitched. Sometimes it would show me in a location I definitely was not. Another time I accidentally closed the app on my phone (not hard to do), that caused the current hunt history to be erased, including where I had marked my truck. I would sometimes have weird issues with the compass and dog direction indicator being wrong while sitting on the four wheeler, it would correct itself if I walked away from the four wheeler and waited a few minutes. But I don’t know if it was the four wheeler causing the problem because sometimes it worked perfectly while I was on the four wheeler. I contracted Dogtra about some of the issues, and was told someone would call me back. No one ever did.
Basically, the pathfinder did work for tracking my dog, and it is half the price, but I’m glad I returned it and spent the extra money for the Alpha.

Old Post 02-15-2019 09:42 PM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JMCrane
UKC Forum Member

Pathfinder

I have used the Garmin 320 and now I have the pathfinder and it works great for me. My phone is waterproof and this system is easy to use and I really like the tone button since I hunt around a lot of roads and I can switch from the maps to tone quick. I hunt 99% of the time by myself and I haven't any issues with it.

Old Post 02-15-2019 10:29 PM
JMCrane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMCrane Click here to Send JMCrane a Private Message Find more posts by JMCrane Add JMCrane to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Never used the Pathfinder but as I understand it the one thing that is missing that I really like about my Alpha is the ability to turn on flashing collar lights remotely.

Old Post 02-15-2019 11:31 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Btt

Old Post 02-19-2019 02:27 AM
markncole is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markncole Click here to Send markncole a Private Message Click Here to Email markncole Find more posts by markncole Add markncole to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Btt

Old Post 02-19-2019 02:27 AM
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Pathfinder

I love mine ! Bigger screen and easier to use then the alpha . You only have to connect the box to the phone once then every time you use it you turn on Bluetooth and it automatically connects . My phone is an Samsung active and has gotten wet no issue's what so ever . Had one issue with an update and was fixed next day . The maps are awesome . Usually not 100 percent on location like 10 ft off from where you actually are . No big deal to me I hand pin truck to where I am takes a bit longer for collars to connect then Garmin but I just get my bag ready while I'm waiting . The Pathfinder is steadily improving and pretty good customer service . I have had to close out app before but the truck markers usually stay where marked . Mostly cause my phone is an older phone and it freezes from time to time . But you also must know your surroundings pretty good too closest road thing's of that nature . Compass is nice . Did I mention bigger screen no eye straining no buttons to go bad . No maps to buy it has it all . Oh and cost effective and well worth the price . Updates off google play no cords no computer no tech service needed . And the owner's use the system everyday so if there is a issue they usually know about it before we do and are already working on it .

Old Post 02-19-2019 12:46 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

I had one and sent it back. Some guys love them, I didn't. Not enough cell service here in the hills. Actually, it's pretty bad a lot of places

Yes, you can download some maps but couldn't do big areas. Example - If going to a hunt and hunting with another guide, I couldn't download before because didn't know who would be guiding and where. I couldn't really even load all of my normal hunting areas with enough detail to make it usable.

Like Nick B, I have a habit of closing out all apps. Then it would take a few minutes to connect back up.

I put app on my ipad but sent unit back before I had a chance to use it. The lack of reliable cell coverage here is what was really the limiting factor.

I can still pull up Google maps on my phone and compare to map on the Alpha if needed.

I've heard that lots of guys love them. But it wasn't for me. I hunted one night with it in an area with good cell coverage and it was pretty slick.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 02-19-2019 01:36 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote