UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > mixed up junk
Pages (8): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
BTW A person that doesn't breed dogs and telling people how they need to breed is like a man thats never been in the water giving swimming lessons.

FACT........ I'M DEFINITELY NOT A BREEDER. Do my partner and I make a cross here n there. Absolutely yes we do. But I refuse to do puppy detail again. I did it a couple times and I do NOT like it. But I'm not afraid to tell you or my partner or a buddy your dog sucks just as I'd tell you mine sucks. But I will say if you don't think cross breds have been successful go take a look at the other registries. There's several that have done well to outstanding. Halftime Ruby is a prime example, she's won around 125k. Jed Finley's Trader dog isn't a PR dog, he goes back to a cross on a bluetick. Halfbreed Pinner, is another 1. And I believe Dave is just trying to encourage anyone that's thinking about breeding to another breed to do it. And to not let the nay-sayers tell you or convince you to sway away from it. And I don't think it's regressing if you're improving what you have.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-14-2019 09:08 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Yadkinriver

You really think that it takes being a dog breeder to see the results of other breeders? Your analogy is hogwash at best, I never trained a coonhound, but I know what a real coondog is. I have hunted with some very good cross breed hounds. I am not restricted to a certain line of dogs, as a breeder would be. I am not trying to tell anyone how to breed, that choice us theirs to make. What I am saying is the xbreed program is a good thing, it allows the crossbreds to be registered and hunt in competition. If a cross bred hound can beat your purebred hounds, you just may not be the breeder you thought you were. A breed should get better over time, has yours? Dave

Old Post 09-14-2019 09:21 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

Thanks for your comment, you are exactly right in what I am saying. We can not expect these "Breeders" to agree with breeding best to best if it means cross breeding. "Breeders" have their own agenda and that is to promote their dogs and sell pups, it's self serving. They look the other way or deny the facts of the outcrosses that were made behind the barn to achieve the same thing. The xbreed program just made it "legal" in UKC'S EYES.

Old Post 09-14-2019 09:35 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Not disrespecting anyone but I will say these things...first off I will say we owe it to the dogs to breed as best we can and hopefully there will be less culls...

Someone will say...man I bred some cross breeds and I got the best dog ever...and that dog was the best I ever owned...but let’s look at the big picture...if you follow that particular dog he might be the best ever you owned and will be sold on that one data point...looking a little deeper and you will see he probably will not breed consistently but he might be the best you ever owned and now you will say it is the best way to breed...now when looking at a well bred dog it might be that overall he is the better dog...what we need to take into consideration is that the well bred dog is suffering from tired blood...at some point fixing tired blood is done with another dog that looks and acts similarly but is from a different strain and this fixes the tired blood which is another way of saying hybrid vigor...so what I have seen happening is smaller testicles, smaller dogs and smaller litters...we can get stupid and breed something totally different and then wonder what’s happened...or you can breed a top stud that compliments your dogs and now all should be better...maybe...you will know if the puppies act and look right otherwise get rid of them all...find a different stud and if the pups look right so then we select the best pups...key word is best “pups” because you don’t want to put all your hopes on one pup...better chance with more than one...select the best pups possible and breed the best back to your bloodline and guess what...we added fresh blood without drastically changing the line of dogs...now we are set to continue with the breeding program...

The worst thing we can do once we have decent dogs is to bring in new blood and cross over a few times and now the bloodline we guarded so much is really not ours anymore...I reckon it is ok if it’s better than what we originally had...

So folks will tell you line breeding and inbreeding is bad...it’s only bad if we don’t use good sound logic...if we are starting out turn the bloodline over faster than normal to eliminate the junk so our dogs can breed true...the more generations with awesome dogs the better...we are purifying the bloodline...once this happens slow it down so we don’t get into a corner so soon with the hybrid vigor issues (tired blood)...otherwise we will be shopping for another stud sooner than later...

Linebreeding and inbreeding is only as good as our dogs and our selection process...I say do all we can in exposing your pups to people and coon hides etc...use hunger to our advantage...it creates want to in the pups...I feed 4 week old pups raw wild pork with hide and ears and take it away before they get sick with it...I want them to want it...kind of like that kid that only gets a taste of ice cream now and then...they just want more...our breeding program is only as good as the pups you pick so pick pups that are born to hunt, find, bay, wind an locate...pick for natural ability...test and observe...natural ability begets more natural ability...

Old Post 09-14-2019 09:44 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Ghost14

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
A xbreed won the UKC World fair and square, beat all competition, only to be stripped of the title due to his handlers mistake. Make no mistake Sambo was the best dog that year and proved it.

No he didn't. Without his handler cheating at the zones the dog didn't tree enough coons to even make it to the finals .

Old Post 09-14-2019 09:51 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy!
Breed what you like. Hunt what you like. Who cares what someone else thinks.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-14-2019 09:57 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Reuben I don’t know about the dogs you breed but in the coonhound breed you had about 5 stud dogs that had 5000 pups apiece ! Well when they built the all grand pedigree they doubled and trippled somtimes more to get it using those studs. Some of them through dominate faults so it magnified it including health issues to boot ! So about the only way to get away from it because nearly every pedigree has them in it multiple times. Is to out cross somtimes completely out of the breed. I out cross somtimes but it is to top caliber top reproducers not the flavor of the month.

Tar

Old Post 09-14-2019 09:58 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

What you are saying has a lot of merit, just remember that not everyone who breeds dogs will put that kind of effort into their breeding program. We have to many breeders that are just in it for the money. Raising 2 0r 3 litters and selling pups for 500 each becomes their cash cow. How many breeders do you think follow what you suggest in your post? Dave

Old Post 09-14-2019 10:06 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jen Cummings

As always, I loved your post. Dave

Old Post 09-14-2019 10:08 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donnie

We all know the story, tell me who beat him in the World Hunt. Should he have been there, No, but he was and he won every cast. Dave

Old Post 09-14-2019 10:11 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Reuben I don’t know about the dogs you breed but in the coonhound breed you had about 5 stud dogs that had 5000 pups apiece ! Well when they built the all grand pedigree they doubled and trippled somtimes more to get it using those studs. Some of them through dominate faults so it magnified it including health issues to boot ! So about the only way to get away from it because nearly every pedigree has them in it multiple times. Is to out cross somtimes completely out of the breed. I out cross somtimes but it is to top caliber top reproducers not the flavor of the month.

Tar

The flavor or the month I would have to say not the best practice...😳

Old Post 09-14-2019 10:58 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

I am going to borrow a quote from Rocky Tanner of Georgia, he hunts some good English hounds. "If A puppy can pull a train, hitch him up". Now that's the way I feel, if it works that's what's important. Give me a mule to ride in rough country, leave the saddlebred for the show ring. Lol. Dave

Old Post 09-14-2019 11:01 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar

Tar

No effort whatsoever...it is a fun task when constantly observing and testing pups...

Old Post 09-14-2019 11:28 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
No effort whatsoever...it is a fun task when constantly observing and testing pups...

We got 2 litters on the way and I got an 18 month old I am hunting I am about tired of testing lol.

Tar

Old Post 09-14-2019 11:33 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Donald Bergeron

quote:
I am going to borrow a quote from Rocky Tanner of Georgia, he hunts some good English hounds. "If A puppy can pull a train, hitch him up". Now that's the way I feel, if it works that's what's important. Give me a mule to ride in rough country, leave the saddlebred for the show ring. Lol. Dave
I've only been talking to you one day and you seem to be getting smarter already. LOL

Old Post 09-15-2019 12:12 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

In my limited experience I will say that a line of dogs is supposed to get better because I have seen and done it...

The absolute best dog I ever bred in my backyard and trained was a dog I named Yeller... I consider him to be the best I ever hunted and I have hunted some good ones who were mostly related to Yeller...but as weird as it sounds I only bred him once to my dogs but they were all related to him if not all it was most of them...I just knew there was no way he could breed true...a once in a lifetime dog does not reproduce himself because he is too far away from normal...so these traits must be recessives and I don’t think the normal genetic makeup is not there to reproduce itself...to make a dominant recessive there has to be both sets of the same from each parent if I understand it correctly...but those weren’t my only reasons...he was also a crossbred dog...cowdog/hogdog from the sires side and coondog/beardog from the dams side...I crossed that cowdog because the owner said he was a smart dog and I wanted to lock in the size and tighter mouth...

I do not think I will have another like him in my lifetime but the biggest difference between great dogs and once in a lifetime dogs is brain power...the once in a lifetime dogs almost have magical powers like knowing they will outstrike the other dog because they just know it...and finding game for them is just as easy...

I just wonder how many pups were not identified or maybe just ruined and/or they were never found out...

Old Post 09-15-2019 12:19 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald

I definitely enjoy your posts, I bet you have fun hunting and that's what it is all about. Performance counts the most to me, I am not blind to a breed, all I care about is how good the dog can perform. I don't get paid to hunt, I don't have a business agenda connected to my hunting, it's purely a hobby for me. I have not forgotten the roots from which our hounds came from would not be ashamed to hunt a purebred foxhound if it was a good enough coondog. I have hunted every breed of hound and cur dog we have, seen some good ones in most of the breeds and some good crossbreds as well. Dave

Old Post 09-15-2019 12:31 AM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

That about sums it up for me as well Dave. I’ve seen good, bad, and ugly in just about all of them. I don’t have to like the breed or style of the dog, but I can dang sure recognize the ones that park under a coon! And those are what I call coon dogs.

Old Post 09-15-2019 01:25 AM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoggyBayouBlues
UKC Forum Member

Re: "Purebred"

quote:
Lol. Just what is purebred? How many actually know what it is and how we define purebred? Yes I know the definition and meaning, but let's just talk for a while. We have several breeds of hounds that were developed from different stocks of dogs, some of these crosses worked and some did not. We made these crosses to better the line or at least to get more of something we wanted in our dogs. We can still better our dogs and get something we want or desire by making crosses outside if the breed.Why is it that we seem shocked or offended to discover that ole blue may have a shot of bird dog in his background if that helped make him a better coondog. I suggest to each of you that you research the history of all the hound breeds and see how they have got to where they are now. Plotts were brought from Germany and don't have the influx of other breeds that the Walkers, Redbones, English and Blueticks have. You may revisit your thoughts on cross breeding. Dave

Just wandering if you crossbred your registered horse's to get better result's?

Old Post 09-15-2019 01:23 PM
LoggyBayouBlues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LoggyBayouBlues Click here to Send LoggyBayouBlues a Private Message Click Here to Email LoggyBayouBlues Find more posts by LoggyBayouBlues Add LoggyBayouBlues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

John

Yes, I have a couple of Xbred crosses Registered Saddlebred X Registered Rocky Mountain , made excellent cross for what I wanted to achieve, style of the saddlebred, temperament of the Rocky mountain. I am not into horses or dogs for money ( cost us a small fortune ), we don't sell our horses or dogs, although I sometimes give a coondog to someone that needs one. My decisions are not money motivated. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 09-15-2019 at 09:18 PM

Old Post 09-15-2019 08:17 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
and Curs been and being put into english !!
is that why i see the long noses and narrow heads in the swamp rooster lines , short and still mouth like awesome ? i have 2 x -bred , one walker x english ,one walker x blue tick , so far not a thyroid issue with either one ,lo,

Old Post 09-15-2019 10:53 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barnescreek
UKC Forum Member

I have a 10 year old male yard dog. Half pit bull/ half dachshund. He trees squirrels everyday and is chop mouth on tree. Naturally gamey dog with no training. Still catches a few on the ground sneaking up on them under the bird feeder. Will run a rabbit all day and is open on track. Very smart dog but a little ill. Heck maybe I should breed him to my walker female. 😂

Old Post 09-16-2019 02:56 AM
barnescreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barnescreek Click here to Send barnescreek a Private Message Find more posts by barnescreek Add barnescreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Barnscreek

How good is your walker female? You don't want to mess up a proven bloodline. Lol. Dave

Old Post 09-16-2019 03:28 AM
mike fleming
UKC Forum Member

Say what you want about Sambo he can hold his own against any dog on the planet.

Old Post 09-16-2019 03:42 AM
mike fleming is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike fleming Click here to Send mike fleming a Private Message Find more posts by mike fleming Add mike fleming to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mike Fleming

Okay I will, lol. Sambo is a COONDOG. I would feed him anytime. Dave

Old Post 09-16-2019 04:02 AM