UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Youth hunt question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Liberty Hill19
UKC Forum Member

Youth hunt question

In a youth hunt a non hunting judge is used. Youth A’s dog is treed see the coon in a neighboring tree. Trees have a limb almost the size of a baseball bat touching each other judge says it’s not big enough for a coon to cross youth A tries to question it. Judge blows him off says he is minus’d. So youth A says should at least be a circle because the tree is full of vines and there could be one hidden behind the vines. Judge says I can tell you that there is not one because he used a heat detection scope. Youth A says those aren’t legal judge responds with I’m a non hunting judge so I can use one. Youth A still preceded to want to question the score card judge blows him off. Judge tells him to sign the score card youth A refuses then the judge says you have to or you will be written up by ukc even though judge refused to put question on the score card. Judge then has youth B sign the card no where near youth A judge then gives the score card to youth B to return to the club house and judge never comes back to club house. Youth A was winning till the minus on the tree gabe youth B the win. What would be the correct way for youth A to handle this

Last edited by Liberty Hill19 on 03-28-2021 at 01:32 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-28-2021 01:26 PM
Liberty Hill19 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Liberty Hill19 Click here to Send Liberty Hill19 a Private Message Click Here to Email Liberty Hill19 Find more posts by Liberty Hill19 Add Liberty Hill19 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

First, I am so sorry for the youth having such a bad experience. I have three kids that like to hunt and I have taken them to numerous youth hunts through the years. They have had a nice experience on several of the hunts, but not so good on other ones. The problem with youth hunts is the adults. Parents want their kid to win more than the kid. The youth is just there to have a good time, but they are either helped by the parent or yelled at for what they did wrong. It is like that in every youth sport. Adults have a hard time not trying to help their child compete.
The other issue I see is that most of the club that have youth hunts don't have enough capable members to help host and judge the event. Which means you get poorly run casts with the local kid sometimes getting an unfair advantage.
I just try to teach my kids to enjoy the event and win or lose have a good time. Kids need to learn to win and lose. It is hard to lose when the cast isn't judged properly or a parent gives an unfair advantage, but life isn't always fair. In the scope of our lives winning or losing a cast shouldn't make a difference in who we are or how we live our life. If it does you haven't lived a very meaningful life.
You have two ways to handle this, call every one a cheater question the call and make the experience no fun for anyone. Maybe the MOHs will change the judges call and your youth will win. Probably not and the only thing you are teaching your kid is to think every time they lose they were cheated. Or you can have a conversation with your child about winning and losing and make it a life lesson. I would let the club know either way that the judge in your cast did a poor job.
Better luck next cast.

Old Post 03-29-2021 12:05 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Liberty Hill19
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the insight it’s not the winning the event that matters to my son it’s the cast win for the dog the dog performed the way he should have and doesn’t get the cast win he deserves. My kids hunt in both youth and regular hunts against adults so they know how crooked it can be the judge was just a member of the club and had no relationship with any cast members. Was just wondering what the correct route would be for the youth to take if a judge refuses to put a question on a card then threatens the youth with a write up if they don’t sign the card. The other problem is that the judge was to cowardly to return to the club house knowing there was a dispute.

Old Post 03-29-2021 12:14 PM
Liberty Hill19 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Liberty Hill19 Click here to Send Liberty Hill19 a Private Message Click Here to Email Liberty Hill19 Find more posts by Liberty Hill19 Add Liberty Hill19 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RFussnecker
UKC Forum Member

The judge cannot make anyone sign the card. If the cast participant doesn't sign beside his dogs score that dog is scratched and nothing changes with the other scores on the card.
He should have filed a complaint against the judge for not accepting the question if he didn't get a satisfactory answer from the master of hounds. It really sounds like a judgment call as far as the limb goes, but the not taking the question part is the problem.

Last edited by RFussnecker on 03-29-2021 at 01:39 PM

Old Post 03-29-2021 01:32 PM
RFussnecker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RFussnecker Click here to Send RFussnecker a Private Message Click Here to Email RFussnecker Find more posts by RFussnecker Add RFussnecker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Liberty Hill19
UKC Forum Member

So if they don’t sign the dog is scratched no matter what?How do you handle the situation then? Isn’t the purpose of signing the card to say that you agree on what the card reads? If the judge refuses to state that there is a question and doesn’t return to the clubhouse knowing there is a question how should that be handled? Or do you just take it on the chin and let people push you over and continue with their cheating (part of the reason there is so much cheating because no one wants to call them out on it and look like the bad guy)?

Old Post 03-29-2021 01:45 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Liberty Hill19
So if they don’t sign the dog is scratched no matter what?How do you handle the situation then? Isn’t the purpose of signing the card to say that you agree on what the card reads? If the judge refuses to state that there is a question and doesn’t return to the clubhouse knowing there is a question how should that be handled? Or do you just take it on the chin and let people push you over and continue with their cheating (part of the reason there is so much cheating because no one wants to call them out on it and look like the bad guy)?

Rule 12 (b).

Old Post 03-29-2021 03:07 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Liberty Hill19
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Allen. Can this be done when the judge doesn’t return to the clubhouse? Or is it between the handlers and the MOH?

Old Post 03-29-2021 03:27 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm still hung up on his use of heat detection.

Old Post 03-30-2021 01:25 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Liberty Hill19
UKC Forum Member

Shadinc exactly the youth even said those aren’t legal in ukc and he said I’m a non hunting judge so
I can that was his answer for everything. I’m a non hunting judge was the answer for every question.

Old Post 03-30-2021 01:34 AM
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

Very poor judge that shouldn't be allowed to judge anymore. The youth should of filed a complaint and then UKC would of dealt with it.

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 03-30-2021 04:50 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote