UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Bark collars
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lwarren71
UKC Forum Member

Bark collars

Whats are the best bark collar.
I got a Garmin bark collar and it seems
I got to put it on 5,6,7 depends on dog

Warren's Raging Rebel

Want to talk black dogs
Call me 517-219-5556
Larry Warren

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2018 06:48 AM
Lwarren71 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lwarren71 Click here to Send Lwarren71 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lwarren71 Find more posts by Lwarren71 Add Lwarren71 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Bedgood
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra

Old Post 02-07-2018 09:56 AM
Andy Bedgood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bedgood Click here to Send Andy Bedgood a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bedgood Find more posts by Andy Bedgood Add Andy Bedgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I somewhat agree with Andy but there is a new one out that is doing a Great Job for me.

Garmin about two weeks ago came out with a new Bark collar. It is rechargeable and it last 30 days. I have three on some dogs and they seem to be working real well.

They have two modes of operation along wth 3 types of correction. Tone, vibration or Stimulation.

The two modes are a manual one you can set from the collar. Then there is another mode that you can attach to you Smart Phone with an app and you can operate it from the phone. If I had the collars on house dogs, I would probably use nothing but the app. I have two on manual and I have one on my phone app. Both seem to be working about the same. Since I use the tone to call my dogs in. I am not using the tone feature.

What I like about them is they seem to be dog friendly as I hate to see a bark collar strapped tight on a dog and left there for any length of time. These has friendlier contacts and it works off vibration which keeps a dog from stimulation when another dog would bark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADrtZHGrlE

Old Post 02-07-2018 12:40 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rodney batiste
UKC Forum Member

Garmin

Bruce, that seems to be a real nice bark collar. I love the 30 days until recharge. The one I'm using now, Dogtra ys600 I barely can get a week out of it before it needs to be recharge. I will definitely give this collar a try thanks Garmin.

Old Post 02-07-2018 08:24 PM
rodney batiste is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rodney batiste Click here to Send rodney batiste a Private Message Click Here to Email rodney batiste Find more posts by rodney batiste Add rodney batiste to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

On my Dogtra the white setting numbers wore off. I used them enough to know where to set them but some may not.

Old Post 02-07-2018 09:03 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Does it have a sleep mode? Any collar with a sleep mode is a waste of money. ?They don't shock when the dog barks cause its sleeping, but shock a dog drinking water or crawling in and out of its house. The last garmin collars were worthless 2 never worked out of the box. Got a 3rd one it will not shock a dog unless it whimpers a long time before it barks. But shocks a dog standing in the kennel doing nothing. I got sick of that and smashed that collar. I've tried every brand some work good a few months then don't work at all. Others just never really work right at all. Only dependable collars I have are the old Tri Tronics before they put in the sleep mode. There 17 yrs old and 4 out of the 6 I have still work.

Old Post 02-08-2018 11:25 AM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

DT systems
uses the little 9v battery with the snaps on top

has worked well for me

Old Post 02-08-2018 01:20 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

My reading and studying on this product does not indicate it has sleep mode. In the manual mode which most will use it has an auto rise function. Starts off at the lowest level of stimulation and then increases due to two things. How fast your dog is barkin and length of time between barks. One the dog has stopped barking after two minutes. It will lower itself back down.

I normally take the bark collars off my dogs when they are released from their kennels and allowed to run on a fenced 4 acres. I am leaving these collars on the dogs looking for any false shock or how playing may set them off. I spend a lot of time watching my dogs and in two weeks I haven't seen anything to indicate a problem with false shocks.

I know a lot of people have the thoughts that bark collars may slow down your dog barking at game when it is in the woods. I have a 7 and 10 month old that last week I took out of the pen with bark collars on. Put them in the truck with them on and drove to the woods. Removed the bark collars and put Garmin Tracking Collars on them with the same exact prongs. I did not tighten the collars as tight as I would if I was really concerned about stimulation. My main concern was tracking them. Anyway we showed them a cage coon and they went nuts over it. Not signs that they had thoughts of a bark collar around their necks.

Only time will tell but this is the best collar I have seen from Garmin. Before this I was a big Dogtra fan but it may change.

Old Post 02-08-2018 01:27 PM
Pascpaua
UKC Forum Member

Sportdog collars work well for me and very reasonably priced

Old Post 02-08-2018 07:32 PM
Pascpaua is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pascpaua Click here to Send Pascpaua a Private Message Click Here to Email Pascpaua Find more posts by Pascpaua Add Pascpaua to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrburneisen
UKC Forum Member

bark collar/e-collar

The sportdog ones are ok, I have 2 of them and had a problem with my walker dog barking in the face of my little plott and shocking the both of them. I also dropped a water bowl on the ground and the loud bang set the thing off.

I use 2 sportdogs ones, and 2 garmin delta e-collars in rotation. My dogs have figured out that if they don't have any collar on they can bark all night and not get shocked, so I always keep a collar charged and on them whether it is a sportdog type bark collar or the e-collar. the downside is I have to hit the button on the e-collar to make it shock/tone them, but now they only need a tone and they all shut up. Even if the collar is on another dog, if they hear the tone they all stop barking.

What I really need is a hunk of rubber shaped like a bark collar and it'd probably work just as well.

PS. no problems in the woods, as soon as I unload the dogs they know it's time to hunt and they are free to bark. It's like flipping a switch, the dogs know when it's time to work.

Last edited by mrburneisen on 02-08-2018 at 08:57 PM

Old Post 02-08-2018 08:51 PM
mrburneisen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mrburneisen Click here to Send mrburneisen a Private Message Click Here to Email mrburneisen Find more posts by mrburneisen Add mrburneisen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

I like the Dogtra YS600 over the Garmin. Charge last longer, seems to hit a little harder, like the 1" collar strap over the 3/4" and the overall life of the collar seems to last longer. I've been through 2 Garmin collars in the same time as 1 Dogtra collar.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 02-08-2018 11:01 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog collar

quote:
Originally posted by Bardiel
Why buy such collars if you can use the usual ones, which are several times safer. I've had five dogs in my entire life, and I've bought regular collars for each of them. However, for my fifth dog, I bought a collar with the help of which I could control her movements. She was just hyperactive. I was used to her running around the house and sweeping away everything in her path, but when she behaved like that on the street, passers-by didn't like it. With instructions, I was easily able to put on the Head collar for dogs. To my surprise, my dog began to behave more calmly on the street and did not cause fear in others.

We are talking about dogs barking in the kennel. Most people live in town and go to work, can't have a dog barking all day while there gone. I've had dogs that won't make a peep anytime i'm home. Only bark when i'm gone.

Old Post 03-26-2021 12:52 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote