UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Grain Free dog food.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Grain Free dog food.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/0...-your-pets.html

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-31-2019 11:56 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

hope

Hope you get a lot of feedback on this.I could save a bunch of money

Old Post 02-01-2019 05:34 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JHannack
UKC Forum Member

Interesting read..

It would be interesting to know if it’s lack of grains or if it’s a different filler that they add to replace the grain?? I’d bet on the latter. Years ago I fed just Purina Dog Chow and the vets would ask what I was feeding because the dogs looked so good, they were often surprised. Everyone bashed dog chow because it was pure corn but dogs did well and I never had health issues. I still feed Purina today but now feed Pro Plan Sport - Salmon. I wonder if I just fell for the hype to feed better food or is it really better than dog chow?

Home of some future hopefuls.....

Old Post 02-01-2019 06:23 PM
JHannack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JHannack Click here to Send JHannack a Private Message Find more posts by JHannack Add JHannack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Diet - long read

I have commented on this before. After reading solid scientific proof dogs, I support the theory dogs have evolved the ability to digest grains. But like any other food source, it is the quality and process of these grains that make them digestible.

Though we don’t know exactly where or when the process of domestication began, we do know (or at least theorize) that, early on, wolves followed humans and scavenged on their kill sites. As human behavior changed and humans began to settle in specific areas to farm as well as hunt and fish, wolves began to scavenge from garbage dump sites utilized by these communities. This scavenging eventually lead to an improved ability to digest carbohydrates in some of these animals. This dietary adaptation in turn lead to an increased chance of survival for these same animals.

Exactly what type of adaptations occurred to make this change in carbohydrate digestion possible? This is a question that is answered by the results of a scientific study published in the journal Nature entitled “The genomic signature of dog domestication reveals adaptation to a starch-rick diet“.
Let’s talk about the key findings of this study. There are several genes associated with digestion and absorption: three genes that affect fat metabolism, three that affect starch metabolism, two that affect digestion of nutrients, and one that affects absorption of nutrients.
Starch digestion is accomplished in three steps. Each step involves a different gene that encodes for a specific protein or enzyme responsible for the completion of each step. Three of these genes look very different in the dog than in the wolf.
In the presence of amylase, starch is converted to maltose. This reaction is governed, at least in part, by the gene known as AMY2B and its corresponding protein, the AMY2B protein (or amylase 2B). The study revealed that dogs have 4-30 copies of this gene, depending on the breed of the dog, while wolves have only 2 copies of the gene. We know, from previous studies, that when additional copies of a gene are present, the expression of that gene increases. In this case, dogs produce a much higher concentration of the AMY2B protein. According to the study results, dogs exhibit a 28-fold increase in expression of the gene in the pancreas than do wolves (i.e. dogs produce more of the enzyme than wolves). In the serum (or blood), levels are five times higher in dogs. These changes are responsible for a greater capacity to digest starch in dogs, many times higher than that of wolves.
The second gene the study identified and examined is the MGAM gene. This gene codes for the production of maltase, another enzyme important in the digestion of starches. In the dog, two different forms of the enzyme were found; only one in the wolf. The structure of the second was noted to be similar to an enzyme found in omnivores and/or herbivores. A 12-fold greater expression of the gene was also found in dogs.
A third gene looked at in the study is the SGLT-1 gene. Responsible for the transport of glucose across the membrane of the intestinal tract, this gene plays a key role in the absorption of carbohydrates. In dogs, this gene codes for a completely different protein than in the wolf and allows for improved transport of glucose and, therefore, improved absorption of carbohydrates in dogs.
Yes, there’s a lot of science here and this is just a brief synopsis. However, what is important to understand is that, based on this study, dogs are well adapted to digesting and absorbing starches, much moreso than their wolf ancestors.

Is Starch Derived from Grains Bad for Your Dog?
If the grains are processed properly, dogs can digest and absorb them very well. They are well adapted to be able to do so.
Are there some dogs that are sensitive to or allergic to grains? Yes, probably. But it’s not nearly as common as many people seem to believe.
In people, celiac disease is common. It is an immune reaction to glutens, the protein portion of grains. This disease is rare in dogs. A similar disease has been documented in Irish Setters and certain lines in this breed seem to be predisposed. However, the disease has not recognized in other breeds at the current time.
Is feeding a grain-free or gluten-free diet a bad thing for a dog? No, it’s a perfectly acceptable feeding choice. Is it necessary? Not in the majority of cases. Pet owners feeding grain-free foods should also realize that a grain-free diet does not necessarily equate to a low-carbohydrate diet.
We believe that food allergies account for approximately 10% of all allergies in dogs. (Flea allergy and atopy are also common but not food-related.) These are the most common food-related allergens diagnosed in dogs:
Beef
Dairy
Chicken
Lamb
Fish
Eggs
Corn
Wheat
Soy
As you can see, corn and wheat are low on the list of suspects. It’s not impossible to develop an allergy to these foods but other foods should be considered as well when exploring the possibility of food allergies in a specific dog.

Bottom line, the hype over grain in dog food is not scientifically supported.
Can grain included feeds cause some dogs to have allergies - yes to some. Do some foods use extra grain as filler - yep!
So I believe trial is best. I feed a quality feed that has grains and supplement with deer meat, eggs, and chicken to cover my bases, adding extra fat for winter. JMO

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 02-01-2019 06:29 PM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

Never have seen a dog with a wallet. Most dog food is made for the owner. Some is better than others. See it on here all the time about this or that great food. Most don't hunt hard enough for dog food to enter the equation.

Old Post 02-01-2019 07:18 PM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

It seems this thread drew less interest than any recent dog food post.

Old Post 02-02-2019 01:22 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I primarily feed K-9 RAGE but will by other good dry dog foods and mix it when on sale plus eggs shell and all , table scraps and Bacon grease , beef tallow and bones etc. And my dogs are so fat they are in the running for SPCA dog commercial of the year. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 02-02-2019 01:58 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Interest

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
It seems this thread drew less interest than any recent dog food post.

Don, the reason it didn't draw many responses is it was scientifically based and it shuts up a lot of the people who have their own opinions whether fact based or just opinions. Not enuff gossip or drama to get the BS going which draws the responses most on here. LOL

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 02-02-2019 04:33 PM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Interest

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Robinson
Don, the reason it didn't draw many responses is it was scientifically based and it shuts up a lot of the people who have their own opinions whether fact based or just opinions. Not enuff gossip or drama to get the BS going which draws the responses most on here. LOL
Doug, that's why I posted what I did. The "corn is bad for dogs" crowd is in shock. LOL

Old Post 02-02-2019 05:26 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

Dogs have always been dogs just as people have always been people, i.e., no cave men.

Old Post 02-02-2019 10:15 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Half Truths

Grains that have been cooked so that the starch is gelatinized are a good ingredients for energy in dog feed. Completely cooked cereal is not a filler. It is a good source of energy and vitamins and much better for the dog than some animal products. Raw or partially cooked grains are not good for the dog and overwork the digestive system. As with most topics there are few things that are totally right or wrong and are half truths. A "Monday" morning feed manufacturing employee that coon hunted all weekend, can produce inferior quality feed by not cooking the grains to the point of complete gelatinization and they can also not cook a "grain free" recipe hot enough to kill the salmonella and kill your dog.

Old Post 02-02-2019 10:51 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I know this My PAPA and Great Uncle would have scoffed at buying Dog Food at the store for their Hounds and their hounds always looked FAT and Healthy. Only in their later years did they buy store bought food for their dogs.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 02-03-2019 06:19 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack haughton
UKC Forum Member

Grain free dog food

I subscribe to a Monthly DogWatch Out of Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine flyer. There was an article that is not conclusive but they have been finding that dogs fed grain free dog foods there seems be be an uptick in heart problems. The study is ongoing but it seems to support the fact that grains are not bad for humans or dogs regardless of what media thinks. I think a well balanced diet is all that is needed for the work that they are doing.

HOME OF THE BLU MARU BLUETICKS.GR CH Haughtons Genesse Maru.FCH CH Haughtons Jorja .Blu.CH.Ruby Maru.and Blu Poppyhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/genessemaru/101010_ThanksgivingPuppies2010_1163.jpg

Old Post 02-03-2019 02:03 PM
jack haughton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack haughton Click here to Send jack haughton a Private Message Find more posts by jack haughton Add jack haughton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drakebauer
UKC Forum Member

recall

This year it seems like the corn down south had aflatoxin and whatever places get alot from Illinois and Iowa if it was in the Dereecho who knows what quality it has. I thin Joy has never had a recall

Old Post 01-14-2021 08:54 PM
drakebauer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drakebauer Click here to Send drakebauer a Private Message Click Here to Email drakebauer Find more posts by drakebauer Add drakebauer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Fact- corn burns a dog up and over heats them in hot or humid weather.

Fact- Wheat drops a dogs blood sugar

Fact- Rice won't over heat a dog or drop there blood sugar dogs that are hunted hard need the carbs for energy.

Old Post 01-15-2021 01:03 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

dogs have to eat what is put in their bowl. Day in and out 365 days a year.they have no choice no variety Wild canines will eat anything. Including I am sure berries and other fruits when available. Stomach contents of prey. I suspect grain free over a life time can't be good. I know a certain guy that fed a feed by the one of the well known dog feed producers. CORN BASED. Fed 60 head yes 60. He had a high percentage getting cancer and dying by 6 years old

There are a lot of crazy chemicals getting added too..
Without companies doing specific long term studies which will never happen. We will not know for sure

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 01-15-2021 01:23 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

feed

Born and raised on a farm and still live on one. We always had farm dogs running loose and I usually had a hound pup running loose to. We raised hogs and cows and we ground our own feed. All the dogs were eating the hog feed or the cow feed now and then. Both were majority corn.
The dogs always had ears of corn drug up in the yard and would sit for hours gnawing on those ears, and yes we fed a high quality dog feed in Purina. Dad said it must be good for them or they wouldn't eat it. All the dogs live past ten and were always in good shape with no health issues. I figured there must be something in corn they like.

Old Post 01-15-2021 10:35 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote