UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Modern Hunting Equipment
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Modern Hunting Equipment

Just thinking about all of the modern equipment we have today vs the things we had in the "good old days". I won't turn a dog loose now without a Garmin collar on them, used to hunt without any way to track dog [ didn't like those days ] and spent a lot of time looking for dogs. Had a excellent little English dog in the late 60's that would tree them coons, but run a deer for hours. Shocking collars then were almost useless and extremely unreliable, never broke that dog. Wish that I had him today with the equipment we got. In short, we have never had it so good as we do today with all this modern equipment. Thanks to all the many many many companies and suppliers that make this possible. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 10-17-2018 at 12:59 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2018 12:50 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

Has it made us better hunters or has it made us lazy?

Old Post 10-17-2018 01:09 AM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Hunting Equipment

We are definitely Lazier.....!!!
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 10-17-2018 01:17 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I thought about this very topic as I was posting on the thread about hunting catalogs. If I had to train/adjust on a dog without some of the equipment available today I'm not sure I'd even be able to, and I sure know I wouldn't much want to. I remember standing on top of my dog box with an old beep beep system years ago, discussing with my buddy how much time we wasted driving around looking for dogs in the years before we had one.
Then I remember the first 220 either of us saw, and the same guy telling me " If this thing will hold up, it'll change everything..."
Later as I got to messing with squirrel dogs and fine tuning their handle with the Garmin, I realized I was regularly forgetting my leash at home, and not really even missing it.

Can't wait to see what's next...

Old Post 10-17-2018 01:21 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Equipment

No doubt it's made me lazier, or smarter [ fine line between the 2 ], I use the Garmin to get closer to the trees dogs, so don't have to walk as much as before. NO more running a dog down to correct, just push a button. No more getting up to correct barking dogs in kennels, just put a bark collar on the offender/s. Lazier or smarter, maybe both, just know how much better things are. No more nights holding a compass in my hand navigating back to truck, not knowing what was between me and truck [ map on Garmin shows everything ]. Yelp, guess I have gotten lazier [ smarter ]. Dave

Old Post 10-17-2018 01:59 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunting equipment

Not just our dogs equipment is better, but our clothing, boots, are better. Goretex coats, pants, and boots keep us cozy and dry. I member the old days, leaky boots, wet pants and wet coats, that made hunting in the rain and snow miserable. Rubber boots froze you to death then, now they have modern insulation that keeps you toasty warm. Yes, things sure are better with this modern equipment. Shucks even guns, I have a couple 22 rifles that weigh just over 2 pounds, don't even know you are carrying them. Remington nylon 66 was the lightest gun back in the day and weighed more than both these rifles. Dave

Old Post 10-17-2018 02:31 AM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I can remember standing in the White River bottoms as a big kid watching my buddy try to use one of those pin-on compasses, trying to get us back to the truck. He'd look at it, shake his head in disagreement, then shake the compass until it agreed with him and take off walking. It's a small wonder we aren't still down there walking in circles...

Old Post 10-17-2018 02:34 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Building a fire

I never built a fire and sat around it while coonhunting, but one of my old hunting buddies use to talk about doing that all the time years ago.
One night I ask him why they built fires all the time. He said they only had 1 pair of shoes, just a leather pair of shoes. Their feet were always cold and wet. They didn't really have hunting clothes either. They drank wine or whiskey sometimes too. Helped them forget about the bad conditions they were dealing with.
We sure have it way better.
Oh yea, the trunk of the car was the dog box.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Last edited by jdgher on 10-17-2018 at 02:54 AM

Old Post 10-17-2018 02:52 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cory

Compasses are great tools, but require a fair amount of skill to use properly. My drawback to them are they can't show you what's between where you need to go, Garmin maps tell you everything. You can use Garmin maps and hunt like you were raised there maybe better. Lol. Dave

Old Post 10-17-2018 02:58 AM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Yessir. I've hunted the bottoms south of my house so much I can usually tell you what kind of tree we're walking into before we ever get close. And I know every beaver dam, and every shallow crossing to be found. But the Garmin is the great equalizer. And being able to glance at it during a hunt can be a real advantage.
To the best of my knowledge, I was at the first hunt in which UKC allowed a Garmin to be used, and I was the only one in my cast that night that had one. It was Battle of the Breeds out in Ada, Ok. That night, I was hunting a dog that was a little dry footed and would locate around alot on water. Long story short, the Garmin saved me some minus when my hound was trailing along a lake I could see on on the Garmin, but the guide never mentioned. I knew then that the Garmin would make a huge difference in how we hunt, handle, and evaluate our dogs.

Old Post 10-17-2018 03:37 AM
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

I love the safety of having a Garmin on my hound like everyone else but I see so many people who stare at the screen like so many people stare at their phone. I honestly wonder if they even know what their did is doing by actually listening to it.

Old Post 10-17-2018 03:43 AM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barnescreek
UKC Forum Member

Sometimes I sit in the recliner and put my Garmin in demo mode. Watch my dog work a track like he should until he trees. Bzzzzzzt!!! “Dog has treed quarry.” Smile, tellm good boy and turn it off and go back to sleep. Maybe next update will show eyes on the screen. Then we’ll have it made.

Old Post 10-17-2018 04:21 AM
barnescreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barnescreek Click here to Send barnescreek a Private Message Find more posts by barnescreek Add barnescreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I like to connect my Alpha to my computer the day after a hunt. I can see everywhere I went and everywhere my dogs went. Sometimes you can learn something there also.

Old Post 10-17-2018 04:02 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Having your hunting partners dog on your Garmin let's you drive around and pick them up, as you know exactly where they are. I like that feature, especially hunting in these mountains, it saves a lot of walking in steep ground. Dave

Old Post 10-17-2018 06:59 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I remember when we didn’t need to charge everything before we went hunting, but the new equipment does make it a lot easier.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 10-17-2018 07:07 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

I don't mind the charging, the benefits out weigh the trouble. I just can't imagine hunting without the equipment we have now, guess age makes a difference. I want the shortest and best way to get to my dogs treed. Dave

Old Post 10-17-2018 07:18 PM
JAH
Banned

I guess I'm in the minority.Don't have a garmin or any tracking system and won't have one.My dogs come when called.Only advantage I can see to a tracking system is if your dog fell over dead while hunting you could find it.Went hunting with some guys one night last winter.The entire time they stared at the garmin screen. I'm like are you here to hunt or play a video game Not been hunting with them since and won't.Not my style of hunting.Never even used a compass.Never needed one.I have great sense of direction and can find my way though the woods and back to the truck with no problem.I do like my new light better then the coal oil lantern and carbide light though.

Old Post 10-18-2018 03:27 AM
JAH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JAH Click here to Send JAH a Private Message Click Here to Email JAH Find more posts by JAH Add JAH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

JAH

I hunt in the mountains and can navigate without help, but when I go on hunting trios to flat lands, I need a compass or GPS. Walk in deep to a tree walk around tree shining for coon, have no clue how to get back withoutg help. Lol. I think some people overdo the Garmin thing by paying to much attention and not listening to the dogs. Myself, I listen to the dogs, but use the Garmin when needed. Dave

Old Post 10-18-2018 05:30 AM
Chuck Mayes 1
UKC Forum Member

Yesteryear we had not much technology and plenty hunting ground today we have plenty technology and not nearly the places to hunt !!!!! I kinda liked yesteryear better !!!!! I guess it’s kinda like tradeing tit for tat 😂

Went to breed to ole Hayes one time so ole jimmy guess takes us hunting with some young dogs he was starting the trash breaker he used was a pair of chuck Taylor’s (tennis shoes) tied around his neck.... dogs ran something he didn’t like he would kick off the boots and on with the running shoes and head’em off at the pass ..... lol wouldn’t as easy as pushing a button like now but by goley it worked !!!!!!😜

Old Post 10-18-2018 05:57 AM
Chuck Mayes 1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Mayes 1 Click here to Send Chuck Mayes 1 a Private Message Click Here to Email Chuck Mayes 1 Find more posts by Chuck Mayes 1 Add Chuck Mayes 1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Chuck Mayes

Lol. I have gotten to old to run a dog down, thank GOD that I don't have to. Love this modern equipment, but as you said, the hunting places have shrunk. I still have more places to hunt than I can seem to hunt, but logging has ruined a few more places I used to hunt. I always hunt in Virginia as well as Tennessee. Dave

Old Post 10-18-2018 07:12 AM
JAH
Banned

Dave,

I think I can understand how you would need help from a compass or GPS at times.I remember my mom used to say everyone has at least one talent.I guess being able to navigate in the woods without any of that stuff is my talent.It don't matter if its woods I've hunted in before or my first time.Maybe I'm just lucky in that way.That is how those guys I hunted with that one night was.Eyes glued to the Garmin.They would say dog name is over that way x amount of yards.I just thought I can tell the dog is over that way by hearing it bark and guess at how far and usually be close.I also don't own a shocking system and won't.I will admit I am one of those people who have no business having a shocking system.If a dog made me mad or did something wrong.I'd light it up like 10 Christmas trees and hold that button down till battery died.

Old Post 10-19-2018 12:45 AM
JAH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JAH Click here to Send JAH a Private Message Click Here to Email JAH Find more posts by JAH Add JAH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

I would go back to having hunting ground instead of technology in a minute also.

Old Post 10-19-2018 12:59 AM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ashley

Sadly, we just don't have the choice, we are stuck with things being the way they are. I am fortunate to have plenty of hunting land and the new technology to hunt with. I have seen large tracts of land clear cut and that makes me sad, it would take 100 years or more for the hardwood trees to get that big again. What's really sad is most of the timber us being shipped to China, where they make veneered furniture and sell back to us. Lots of furniture companies closed down in the states, could not compete with the cheap Chinese labor. Maybe Trump will turn the tide with the tariffs. Dave

Old Post 10-19-2018 01:25 AM
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

my polaris big boss 6x6 is one of my favorites

Old Post 10-19-2018 03:22 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

You’re right Dave, it’ll probably never go back to the way it was. I’m just glad to still have places to hunt.

Old Post 10-19-2018 05:50 PM