UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What makes a good stud dog for the public.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

What makes a good stud dog for the public.

What do you guys think makes a good stud dog for the average joe. Is it pups that start easy? Is it a dog that puts a lot of big winners out there? Is it pretty dogs or loud dogs?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-22-2021 05:17 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Yep

Old Post 01-22-2021 05:31 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Yep to all of the above? What if the big winners weren’t easy starters or aren’t for the feint of heart or average 2 night a week guy....

Old Post 01-22-2021 06:56 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Still doesn't disqualify them from being good reproducers.

Old Post 01-22-2021 07:27 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I think for the "average joe" a dog that throws balanced dogs is best. Good mouth, good looks, enough hunt to be a coon dog, locating ability, good tree dog and not a nuisance at home. One thing I have found in a lot of the dogs from the winning comp dogs is they are wired enough that staying still at the tree is a problem.

Old Post 01-22-2021 08:29 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Stud Dogs

You need to start with the female being bred, then decide what dog should cross better. It definitely starts with the female! Dave

Old Post 01-23-2021 12:01 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

This is always the question that everyone breeding a female is thinking.
I feel the 1st studs and females to eliminate are the ones with serious faults or issues. For instance 1 nut or parrot mouth or seizures. I think way too many people get caught up in having the best that they forget that eliminating the worst is very important.
I have always felt 1 of, if not the most important trait to breed for is a sheer desire to hunt. Without desire all the talent in the world is worthless.

Old Post 01-23-2021 01:44 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The foundation is key...

Look at both parents and then grandparents...look at the pedigree and see if 1 or 2 great dogs in the pedigree...

If many are related and have the same traits with a low percentage of bad traits and a high percentage of desirable traits then that is what will breed consistently...

The foundation is key but we can’t have a great foundation without great dogs...

What is a great dog?

A great dog looks good in any company...he or she should hunt pretty good day in and day out...

I don’t think we should decide which traits are best or even compromise them because we should strive for a well balanced dog...a well balanced dog should be able to look good in any company...

We might not have the above mentioned available to us but we should strive for it...that well balanced dog should be in our minds eye...

Old Post 01-23-2021 02:59 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

Honesty, don't over talk your dog, Patience, Patience, Patience for 10,000 questions, calls at all times, no shows. The list goes on and on.

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Old Post 01-24-2021 02:01 AM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

So what makes a "good" stud dog for the breed and what makes a "good" stud dog for the public are two different things.

One improves the breed.

The other has some sort of power, be it a famous or influential owner, an owner that is a great salesman or an owner that will flat out lie and tell every prospective female owner exactly what they want to hear. The "public" absolutely positively will NOT go to a breeder that is honest about his dog. That has been proven over and over again since I started hunting......

Old Post 01-24-2021 03:12 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SLR
UKC Forum Member

X

I agree with pamjohnson first comes the hunt

Old Post 01-24-2021 03:34 AM
SLR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SLR Click here to Send SLR a Private Message Click Here to Email SLR Find more posts by SLR Add SLR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I think for the "average joe" a dog that throws balanced dogs is best. Good mouth, good looks, enough hunt to be a coon dog, locating ability, good tree dog and not a nuisance at home. One thing I have found in a lot of the dogs from the winning comp dogs is they are wired enough that staying still at the tree is a problem.
I think this is probably the best answer to the question that can be made for the"average Joe" and it covers most of the basics for a good balanced hound.100% agree. Anything else gets into personal preferences. Mr.Tom I think you nailed it.

Old Post 01-25-2021 05:48 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

IMO the average Joe is a pleasure hunter who likes a dog that is a pleasure to hunt...as a minimum I like that type of dog...the older I get the better I like them...

The pleasure hunters with the different breeds...

Labs...the conversation usually went like this...they are too hyper and you can’t have them loose in the house or in the back yard...they are hard headed and tear everything up... I like my lab to be a pet and laid back and retrieve my ducks...he doesn’t have to go in a straight line to retrieve like a competition lab...heck I want him to use his head and go around logs and brush...

English pointers...the conversation went like this... I won’t hunt a competition pointer...they don’t hunt with you...they hunt for themselves...you got to be on horse back to keep up plus they are hard headed...I want a pointer that hunts with me...

The coon hunters that pleasure hunted back then usually said the same thing that the English pointer folks said except they sometimes said the competition hounds had too hot a nose...

I bet if we were to ask the pleasure hunters of today they probably will say the same thing now as back then...

Old Post 01-26-2021 12:41 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

Melt Down won over 200k$
Do you see any pups or dogs out of him????

Old Post 01-26-2021 02:29 AM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

Melt Down won over 200k$

Old Post 01-26-2021 02:29 AM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by AndyMiller
Melt Down won over 200k$

melt down has been sterile most of his life.

Old Post 01-26-2021 02:02 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

The way the dog is promoted from day one!! That’s all that matters now days in my personal opinion

Old Post 01-26-2021 06:15 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Ole Hoss

Your to brutal about yours. You probably scare people away when in reality most anyone would be happy to have one like X

Old Post 01-26-2021 06:24 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Ole Hoss

quote:
Originally posted by AAThoundhunter
Your to brutal about yours. You probably scare people away when in reality most anyone would be happy to have one like X

Jason is my kind of man, he tells it like he sees it, NOT the way most folks want to hear. Dave

Old Post 01-26-2021 07:12 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Melt Down won over 200k$

If you look in the $$ magazine you will see one, I think Down only had a couple pups.

Old Post 01-26-2021 07:57 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Melt Down won over 200k$

If you look in the $$ magazine you will see one, I think Down only had a couple pups.

BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Melt Down won over 200k$

AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Ole Hoss

I like the way he tells it too. But most people don’t want to hear that the stud doesn’t walk on water had a .8 thyroid when he won the $ nationals and likes to lay around in the house.

Old Post 01-26-2021 08:55 PM
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

A dog that a average Joe Hunter can buy a pup put of and it has a chance of doing something also old hoss statement is true to some degree but some dogs never get advertised alot and get bred

Old Post 01-27-2021 12:06 AM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

A dog that a average Joe Hunter can buy a pup put of and it has a chance of doing something also old hoss statement is true to some degree but some dogs never get advertised alot and get bred

Old Post 01-27-2021 12:06 AM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote