UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Shortened heat cycles: revisited
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Shortened heat cycles: revisited

You all thought I would forget, huh? I told you when they all came into heat, I would let you all know. Let me refresh your memories.
Jane. She had a litter of 10 pups July, 2014. Raised them all. Had so much milk that she leaked when she walked. Had another litter Oct 2015. Had 7, raised 6. Not much milk. We supplimented her feeding twice a day. Next heat cycle was 9 days. Thought it was a fluke. Her next heat cycle she was to be bred to Tramp II in Wisconsin. November 2016 she came in, only to come out in 8 days. Unfortunately, Tramp II died this past spring. Jane then had a false pregnancy. Never was around a male.
Izzy. She had a litter of 13 March 2015. She raised 11, but very little milk. We supplimented all daytime feedings, allowing her to feed overnight only. Her next heat cycle was 10 days, then 8 days. Her final one was 4 days, just blood, no swelling at all. She started loosing weight over winter 2016 and I doubled her food intake to maintain her weight of 42 lbs. She ate like she was starved.
Sammie. Sammie has never had a normal heat cycle. Her last heat cycle was January 2016. 7 days. Minimal swelling. She was born and raised here.
Moonie. Also never had a normal heat cycle. Her last heat cycle in Oct 2016 was 7 days. Very little blood and minimal swelling. She also started to loose weight. I increased her food almost double also to maintain a weight of 40 lbs. Moonie was also born and raised here.
You all know I switched dog foods. I went to a food that has corn.. yep... Old school. First 5 ingredients, 3 are meat based.
Update: Sammie was first. She started July 2017. Started to bleed and swell. Went to pinkish fluid and then at 12 days, heavy blood again. Her heat cycle lasted 23 days. You know how if you touch the inside of the females leg, she will flag? Sammie flagged at 19 days, but her swelling had gone down so much that the male couldn't penetrate her. That cycle was over 3 times longer than her previous cycle.
Jane was next. She started to bleed and swell and bleed heavy. August 2017. Pinkish fluid then to heavy bleeding at 11 days. Her heat cycle lasted 21 days. She semi flagged at 18 days, but only 1 day and very little. Swelling was good, almost normal. That cycle was 2 1/2 times longer than her previous cycle.
Izzy. She started to swell and bleed the end of September 2017. Her heat cycle lasted 19 days. Pinkish fluid swelling was much better but never flagged at all. That is 5 times longer than her previous cycle.
Moonie. She started to bleed and swell the end of October 2017. Nice bleeding, swelling. To pinkish fluid. Her cycle lasted 18 days, but never flagged. Cycle was 2 1/2 tunes longer than her last one.
Time will tell if their next cycles are even more normal. I had stopped competition hunting them and showing them since I thought they could not have pups. Now, I have a renewed hope. Remember, same heart worm preventative, same worm medicine, lived in the same house for years, same well water, same farms, same vaccine manufacturer everything but dog food. Let the jokes begin. But to the 289 people that posted on my last post that got poofed, to the 17,000 plus views of people wanting to know why, and to the people that bragged they fed what we did, but it wasn't exactly what we fed, this is a year afterward. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 12-18-2017 at 11:38 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-18-2017 02:44 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Good to hear. I remember that post. And my female had a heat cycle in late spring. Didn't have one this fall. But I don't have any interest in breeding her. I was more worried that she was having bad problems in her reproductive organs. Which I had her at the vet not long before the heat cycle, had her tested for her thyroid. Which was at 1.7 and they said it was normal for a dog her age. She was 8 at the time.

There was 1 thing that was different for me. I got some advice on here from a guy to give a multi-vitamin Doc Roy's brand. And that seemed to do the trick for her.

Old Post 12-18-2017 03:34 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

Dan

My 4 year old had two heats, first around 14 mo. then one year later. Haven't seen signs of heat since. Been on Diamond Naturals chicken and rice most of her life.. Not sure what's up but I blame the food. Back in the 70's and 80's never had these problems.

Old Post 12-19-2017 12:35 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

My beagle? Just had a perfectly normal heat cycle. Everything, 22 days, flagged normal... She only had 1 shortened cycle, though... More hope for the future...

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.

Old Post 12-29-2017 01:21 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mem
UKC Forum Member

I wish I could shorten the heat cycle of my dog. That Dang red v don't stop hers. Unfortunately.

Old Post 12-29-2017 02:27 AM
mem is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mem Click here to Send mem a Private Message Find more posts by mem Add mem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

Dan

What kind of food had you been feeding? And what kind have you switched to?

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 12-30-2017 12:44 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I will PM you. Everytime the name gets mentioned, the post gets poofed.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 12-30-2017 01:21 AM
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mem
I wish I could shorten the heat cycle of my dog. That Dang red v don't stop hers. Unfortunately.

Stay on it and get back with us in a cpl years.
Don't happen over night.

Old Post 12-30-2017 07:01 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by harleydan1956
I will PM you. Everytime the name gets mentioned, the post gets poofed.

thanks for the info

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 12-30-2017 09:21 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Someone PM'd me with their dog food brand. Having trouble with shortened heat cycles... This was an ingredient.... Can you believe it? Just a gut feeling, why use any iodide suppliment unless you are taking iodine out... And how do you monitor it?

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 01-02-2018 at 01:06 AM

Old Post 01-02-2018 01:01 AM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

http://www.differencebetween.net/sc...tassium-iodide/

Read the entire article. Maybe on to something

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 01-03-2018 05:14 PM
4play
UKC Forum Member

Pat B on here did alot of research.Figured it was Iodine 'supplements' and the added fish meal to make 24/20 V 'red bag'.

Don't matter V will never admit to anything,or they would have long ago when brought to THEIR attention.
Hopefully they fixed THEIR problem.

Old Post 01-03-2018 05:47 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

For the first time EVER, Sammie came in heat at 6 months 11 days!! She has never been less than 8 months, before switching, her last cycle was 18 months... Keep your fingers crossed.. almost 5 years old and never been able to have pups...

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 02-04-2018 10:27 PM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

On Sammie's 11th day of heat, she was flagging, put her in with Buck and within minutes, was locked up. Only stayed locked for 20 minutes, but my fingers are crossed. 5 years next month and first time I ever got her take a male. I am so hopeful!!

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 02-12-2018 08:18 PM
DwayneWhite
UKC Forum Member

Have any of you tried adding kelp to the dog food?

https://www.chewy.com/natures-farma...egian/dp/153532

Old Post 02-12-2018 11:23 PM
DwayneWhite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DwayneWhite Click here to Send DwayneWhite a Private Message Click Here to Email DwayneWhite Find more posts by DwayneWhite Add DwayneWhite to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Kelp is very high in Iodine. Most higher grade of dog food have many additives for iodine.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 02-13-2018 12:09 AM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Jane just came into heat at 6 months and 4 days. Another first. Things just keep looking up. And people poked fun and laughed.
And Sammie was bred 3 times. Fingers crossed.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 02-20-2018 04:29 AM
Adam Davis
UKC Forum Member

Just thought i would give update, all females are cycling bred one female and she had 5 pups sense we changed feed

Old Post 02-21-2018 04:40 PM
Adam Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Davis Click here to Send Adam Davis a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Davis Add Adam Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mem
UKC Forum Member

I guess stopping compition hunting and showing them must of helped

Old Post 02-21-2018 07:07 PM
mem is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mem Click here to Send mem a Private Message Find more posts by mem Add mem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

harleydan

I know what feed you were feeding.
What feed did you switch to sir.

Old Post 02-21-2018 07:58 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

SportMix adult high energy mini chunks. Chicken based, my dogs love it. Old school. Never had a problem 15 years ago. With the Euthanasia drug being found in dog food, I don't even want meat meal in my dog food. Since it is not ILLEGAL to put euthanized dogs and cats as meat meal into dog food. How else did it get there? The Russians?

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 02-21-2018 08:50 PM
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Old Post 02-21-2018 09:27 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

I had a friend put me onto the blue bag Sportsmix 26/18 over a year ago and i'll have to say its hands down the best feed for the money i've ever fed.

Old Post 02-22-2018 05:26 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
I had a friend put me onto the blue bag Sportsmix 26/18 over a year ago and i'll have to say its hands down the best feed for the money i've ever fed.

That's what I feed.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 02-22-2018 10:30 PM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Sportmix is a dang good dog food. I’ve fed Diamond for over 10 years. Dogs do great on it. For an experiment, the last 2 years I’ve been mixing Diamond, Sportmix, and Value-Pac. All economical prices and all are great feeds. I fed Victor and Pro Plan but couldn’t tell a bit of difference so I just switched back to the cheaper. Expensive dog food won’t make your dogs any better!

Old Post 02-22-2018 11:31 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote