UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > how Can Clubs Get more Coonhounds In UKC Conformation Shows
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Johnfd
UKC Forum Member

how Can Clubs Get more Coonhounds In UKC Conformation Shows

Our club, Illinois Toy Fox Terrier Association, is located near Peoria, Illinois. We offer UKC conformation shows on the third weekend in June and the first weekend in October. I can count on one hand the number of coonhounds who have shown over the years. What would it take to get you to show at a UKC conformation show? We would like our shows to represent ALL UKC breeds. Be honest- what can our club do or change that would get you to give our shows a try?

John Davidson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-07-2009 04:08 PM
Johnfd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Johnfd Click here to Send Johnfd a Private Message Click Here to Email Johnfd Visit Johnfd's homepage! Find more posts by Johnfd Add Johnfd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pony Mountain
UKC Forum Member

Conformation

I have two CCH Coonhounds at my house, I love these shows. They are fun. I would like to come to one of your shows as I do live in Illinois, and I was going to try to but had something else that weekend in Oct. Please forward your shows dates to me and
I will see if I can make either one and bring some friends with me, I would like to have two Conformation Grand Champions.

Old Post 01-07-2009 05:35 PM
Pony Mountain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pony Mountain Click here to Send Pony Mountain a Private Message Click Here to Email Pony Mountain Visit Pony Mountain's homepage! Find more posts by Pony Mountain Add Pony Mountain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Johnfd
UKC Forum Member

We are having 8 shows in May, May 14-17. We have 2 shows each day that run concurrently. Our Oct shows will be Oct 2-4.
John Davidson

Old Post 01-07-2009 06:36 PM
Johnfd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Johnfd Click here to Send Johnfd a Private Message Click Here to Email Johnfd Visit Johnfd's homepage! Find more posts by Johnfd Add Johnfd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrheger
UKC Forum Member

Midlakes ASC and Illionis Toy Fox Terrier Clubs Shows, May

Midlakes Australian Shepherd Club and Illionis Toy Fox Terrier Club are hosting an 8 show weekend May 14, 15, 16, 17.

This is a great opportunity to show case your wonderful Coonhounds. These shows are in conjunction with the UKC Judges Seminar. What a super opportunity to have your dogs seen by so many different judges.

Jeanne R. Heger
Midlakes Australian Shepherd Club

Visit our FB page Mid-lakes Australian Shepherd Club

Old Post 01-08-2009 06:29 PM
jrheger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jrheger Click here to Send jrheger a Private Message Click Here to Email jrheger Visit jrheger's homepage! Find more posts by jrheger Add jrheger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tina Camp
UKC Forum Member

I would LOVE to see more Coonhounds out at conformation shows! The UKC is known for their quality Coonhounds.

Hoping to see more of you,

Please visit:
Great Lakes Boxer Club

Old Post 01-08-2009 06:30 PM
Tina Camp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tina Camp Click here to Send Tina Camp a Private Message Click Here to Email Tina Camp Visit Tina Camp's homepage! Find more posts by Tina Camp Add Tina Camp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrheger
UKC Forum Member

Bring on the Coonhounds!!!!

Old Post 01-08-2009 06:40 PM
jrheger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jrheger Click here to Send jrheger a Private Message Click Here to Email jrheger Visit jrheger's homepage! Find more posts by jrheger Add jrheger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

maybe more education at the coonhound club level. some people may not know what it is or what happens at these events. since it is only showing, some people dont care about it. I have 2 CCH and 1 needing 25 pts to be CCH. it is a different experience than a bench show and can be fun as well. good luck with your events.

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

AKC CSG, UKC CCH GRCH 'PR' Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)
2010 National Grand Champion Bluetick
2013 AO Bluetick Stud Dog winner

CCH GCH 'PR' Southern Flame Elvira - the one that started it all

southernflamekennel@earthlink.net

RIP Southern Flame Elvira (the cornerstone of the kennel) 5/16/02-1/17/14

RIP Southern Flame Scarlet (the lone Redbone) 5/11/01-7/19/13

RIP Southern Flame Wild Irish Rose (Rosie) 6/15/09 - 3/12/15

RIP Southern Flame Too Hot to Trot (Bonnie) 3/27/07 - 4/20/15

RIP Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)

RIP Southern Flame Triple Trouble (TT) 12/17/04 - 11/19/16

RIP Southern Flame Blame it on the Rain (Rain)

RIP AdeleMay's a Smokey Bandit (Adele)

RIP Southern Flame I Like Ike (Ike)

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Old Post 01-08-2009 08:36 PM
Cynthia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cynthia Click here to Send Cynthia a Private Message Click Here to Email Cynthia Visit Cynthia's homepage! Find more posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrheger
UKC Forum Member

I have talked with many Coonhound owners and the one item that is brought up often is some Coonhound owners think they can not compete if their dogs have scars from hunting.

As a judge and an admirer of the breed I can tell you that this does not matter at all. We would really like to see more Coonhounds at UKC Conformation shows. When they do show the breed does very well.

Old Post 01-08-2009 09:19 PM
chellesboys
UKC Forum Member

I find the hunting coonhounds do real well in the all breed ring. Dale & Jamie of Hoo Hoo Hollow Redbones have been tearing up the ring w/ Hank who has a bunch of hunting scars. I usually do well with Rocket, although he is losing interest in showing after doing it for so many years.
He has a double scar on his stop. Most judges just laugh at it, although one judge told me he only gave Rocket a Reserve-BIS instead of BIS because his scar was distracting LOL.

I think most coonhound people don't know about them, or think they are all froo-froo. Dale & Jamie used to, but I think they are getting addicted to those purple ribbons.

I am always trying to get more friends to bring their coonhounds. Most of my closest friends I have met at the UKC all-breed shows - in many different breeds. It is a great way to improve your knowledge on conformation, breed standards, training, etc. Plus many of the shows have performance events too.

Part of it might be the cost too, as local bench shows are less expensive. But as I enjoy the all-breed ring, i spend my money there, rather than bench events.

Home of the UKC's Most Titled Coonhound
URO2 GRFCH GRWCH FO NITECH CCH GRCH
'PR' Chelle's Heartstop'n Spot "Adonis" HTX (TW)
aka "The Baroo Dog"

URO1 GRFCH CGRCH GRCH 'PR' Chelle's Heartstop'n Rocket Man "Rocket" (TW)
CH PR' Chelle's Heartstop'n Fly Me Courageous "Apollo" (TW)
ZigZag Swag in Mtn Black (feist)

FO GRFCH GRCH 'PR' Chelle's Swash Buckler "Porthos" (RED)
(11/21/95-05/30/09 ~ always & forever, my one)

Old Post 01-08-2009 11:20 PM
chellesboys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chellesboys Click here to Send chellesboys a Private Message Click Here to Email chellesboys Find more posts by chellesboys Add chellesboys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Long Ears
UKC Forum Member

Jeanne,
I would love to come up there. You know I love to show my hounds in the all breed ring. I may be actually be able to get there this year. I will have to let you know. I have been out of the show ring for the last cuple of years, but I have some really nice young hounds coming along. How is our buddy in Texas doing these days? Gonna get him to judge? I will have to see if I can get some of my hound pals to head up there with me. Good to see you on here.
Susan Lloyd

"Drive a blue truck, hunt a striped dog, and still take plenty of extra clothes."

Old Post 01-09-2009 12:58 AM
Long Ears is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Long Ears Click here to Send Long Ears a Private Message Click Here to Email Long Ears Find more posts by Long Ears Add Long Ears to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

We're seeing more dogs with conformation titles all the time. I would predict the trend will continue for at least one reason I've observed in recent years. That would be the increasing number of lady handlers. Men in general in the coonhound world seem to have an atitude about showing dogs. The old hunt versus show thing rather than enjoy your dog no matter what you want to do with him. I've learned to ignore that myself but haveing tryed conformation a small amount long ago I decided it wasn't for me. Of course most that know me realize I can hardly get a hound to lead from the kennel to the truck let alone do the ring. I do enjoy watching from time to time. I think also a lot of us guys are at a loss when the conversation isn't about how many coon were treed last night. The lady's tend to flow right into different situations and also often train with a lighter hand than the guys. May be wrong and for sure likely not a 100% right but thats what I seem to be seeing.

Old Post 01-09-2009 01:58 AM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Badlandcat
UKC Forum Member

My family always have a great time at the confirmations shows, yes it is way different than a bench show. For us it is another event and title to try for that the whole family can participate in. Most of the judges i have been in front of always comment on how nice it is to judge a real working dog , the scars didn't seem to bother them. I just wish they where a little closer to Montana.

GRWCH CCH GRFCH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Tias Razor Rippin' Ruby(1st Black and Tan Quintuple Champion)

NITECH GRFCH CCH GRCH 'PR' Sage Creek Sky (5 points from WCH)
FCH GRCH 'PR' Sage Creek Sammy HTX
CH 'PR' Tia's Cowboy Troy
CH 'PR' Tia's Happin' Haley

Old Post 01-09-2009 02:48 AM
Badlandcat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Badlandcat Click here to Send Badlandcat a Private Message Click Here to Email Badlandcat Find more posts by Badlandcat Add Badlandcat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
One Shot Hounds
UKC Forum Member

conformation shows

I really enjoy showing in the UKC conformation shows. I have two CCH coonhouds here at home, and have another I hope to start at the Peoria shows in May. There are definately more coonhounds with conformation titles than in the recent past, and I think I could see the trend continue! The conformation shows are a great time, and I really like showing in them since the environment is so laid back!

Good luck with your shows in May, and I hope to attend!

HOME OF:
AKC GCH CH CSG UKC GRCH CGRCH 'PR' Twisted Creeks Just A Good Ol Boy
*Multi-RBIMS* *AKC Multiple Group Placing*
UKC CCH'PR'StackemUp's Broadway Diva
and our future stars:
'PR'Showbiz Wildcards Puta Girl In It *2x Best Novice Puppy in Show*
'PR'Wildcard's Pawn Star

wildcardkennels@frontier.com

Old Post 01-09-2009 03:13 AM
One Shot Hounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for One Shot Hounds Click here to Send One Shot Hounds a Private Message Click Here to Email One Shot Hounds Find more posts by One Shot Hounds Add One Shot Hounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Talsmom
UKC Forum Member

Try it, you'll like it!

I also have attended several of the conformation shows and have finished many coonhounds, Black & Tans, Treeing Walkers and Beagles.
Education is key. Know your breed, learn the rules and give the conformation shows a try.
What a thrill when your coonhound gets a Best In Show!

BIS - UKC GRCh CCh AKC SRGCh 'PR' Scioto River Talon II

:-}

Old Post 01-09-2009 03:55 AM
Talsmom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Talsmom Click here to Send Talsmom a Private Message Click Here to Email Talsmom Visit Talsmom's homepage! Find more posts by Talsmom Add Talsmom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrheger
UKC Forum Member

Hi Susan,

Great to hear that you will be back in the ring soon. The Coonhounds are such a wonderful true working breed and it is always an honor to judge them or just be around them.

Hope to see all you soon.

Old Post 01-09-2009 05:07 AM
Johnfd
UKC Forum Member

I certainly agree that the entire family can enjoy the conformation shows, esp those who might not be able to participate or those who might not particularly enjoy the hunt. Just about as soon as they can walk, kids can enter junior showmanship. That coonhound that is getting older might be one to put your kids on for junior shows. Another mentioned that ladies might like the conformation shows better and that may be true. However the neatest thing about UKC shows is that the dog is judged and not the handler. I have seen kids win as well as novices showing for the first time. Exhibitors are often surprised that I don't recognize them, but I am not looking above the knee or waist when I judge.

I think you'll find that conformation people are the same as coonhound people. We all love dogs and puppies and the challenge of breeding the best.
John Davidson

Old Post 01-09-2009 07:42 PM
patches
UKC Forum Member

a lot of us don't know what goes on at conformation shows. i'd like to try it but really don't have any clubs that are close that hold conformation.

Old Post 01-10-2009 12:03 AM
patches is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches Click here to Send patches a Private Message Click Here to Email patches Find more posts by patches Add patches to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrheger
UKC Forum Member

hotels and motels in the Dunlap/Peoria

If anyone is planning on coming to these shows and/or the Judges Seminar in May here is a listing of places to stay.

Comfort Suites of Peoria
309-688-3800
1812 W. War Memorial Drive Peoria 61614-6728

The Courtyard
309-686-1900
1928 W. War Memorial Drive Peoria 61614-6726

Red Roof Inn Peoria
309-685-3911
1822 West War Memorial Drive Peoria 61614

Super 8 Peoria
309-688-8074
1816 W. War Memoria Drive Peoria 61614

http://yellowpages.sj-r.com/Dunlap-.../Hotels.zq.html

Old Post 01-10-2009 06:12 PM