UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > A Question to a Auto mechanic
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mink
UKC Forum Member

A Question to a Auto mechanic

i've got an '97 f150 automatic 4x4 truck thats doing something funny.
every once in a while when it shifts it feels like your goin over speed bumps.
some are worse than others ...
what can i do to fix this.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-28-2010 06:26 PM
mink is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mink Click here to Send mink a Private Message Click Here to Email mink Find more posts by mink Add mink to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

sounds like tourqe converter shudder/if you change the fluid it will help but ford has an updated converter for this problem.if you need more info call 571-233-5819 joe zinn

Old Post 02-28-2010 08:12 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mink
UKC Forum Member

alright, will do this

Old Post 03-01-2010 12:21 AM
mink is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mink Click here to Send mink a Private Message Click Here to Email mink Find more posts by mink Add mink to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray Lilly
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by POTOMAC
sounds like tourqe converter shudder/if you change the fluid it will help but ford has an updated converter for this problem.if you need more info call 571-233-5819 joe zinn

This is what I would say or it could be a fowled spark plug or coil pack but a 97 should'nt have coil packs.I've had a 98 and a 2000 and when there down a cylinder they will shudder like this when it shifts(or under a load) and you may think it's the transmission. Is the check engine light on? If it's shuddering that bad and it's down a cylinder it wont be long before the check engine light comes on.

Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Joe (GrniteCh Flippo's Mr.Bigshot X NiteCh Ace female)
Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Buckshot (Joe X Albert's Last Chance female)
'PR' Lilly&Swan's Allnight Tuff Enuf (Joe X GrNite Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)co-owned with Jamie Swan
'PR' Lilly's Ga. Joe II (Joe X GrNiteCh Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)
'PR' Collake's Pretty Patsy (4 Time Floyd x Rocket female)

Old Post 03-01-2010 12:27 AM
Ray Lilly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray Lilly Click here to Send Ray Lilly a Private Message Click Here to Email Ray Lilly Find more posts by Ray Lilly Add Ray Lilly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray Lilly
UKC Forum Member

Re: A Question to a Auto mechanic

By the way i'm not a mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.lol

'PR' Lilly&Swan's Allnight Tuff Enuf (Joe X GrNite Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)co-owned with Jamie Swan

Old Post 03-01-2010 12:35 AM
Ray Lilly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray Lilly Click here to Send Ray Lilly a Private Message Click Here to Email Ray Lilly Find more posts by Ray Lilly Add Ray Lilly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mink
UKC Forum Member

the light hasnt came on

Old Post 03-01-2010 08:54 PM
Ray Lilly
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mink
the light hasnt came on

Sometimes it will take the light a while to come on. It has to be skipping real bad.

Old Post 03-01-2010 11:03 PM
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

ive only worked for ford for 29 years and i will guarantee you the problem you described is converter shudder. change the fluid and they have an additve. if its hasnt smoked the tcc clutch you can change the fluid every 30k and it should last, but the real fix is replace the converter.

Old Post 03-01-2010 11:23 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sparky
UKC Forum Member

I've had the same problem with an f150, like joe said it's the converter.

Joe,
I've got a question for you. My hunting truck's a 93 150 with a 5.0, that runs bad. It will cut out sometimes,it will die, starts hard sometimes, makes a little ping sometimes, that my buddy said is conbustion firing. No engine light has come on , we put it on the computer and it got no codes to show up. I replaced the 02 sensor, new plugs and wires, cap and rotor. Could it be a timing problem or do you have any ideas for me. It's getting horrible milage 5 to 6 mpg. Thanks in advance.

Old Post 03-02-2010 03:03 AM
Sparky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sparky Click here to Send Sparky a Private Message Click Here to Email Sparky Find more posts by Sparky Add Sparky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

ck bbase timing/10deg. btdc/fuel press should be 35 -42psi and if both those readings are good then you propably got a stuck closed egr valve. call for more info 571-233-5819note you can take an o2 sensor out of a ford and you wont have a driveability cond. like you will iin other cars lines. gm.honda toy etc... another waste of 80 bucks. 90 per. of problem with older vehicles is base eng. tim/fuel press etc...

Last edited by POTOMAC on 03-02-2010 at 11:30 AM

Old Post 03-02-2010 11:28 AM
Sparky
UKC Forum Member

ok thanks alot Joe. If I can't get it I'll give you a ring.

Old Post 03-02-2010 01:45 PM
Sparky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sparky Click here to Send Sparky a Private Message Click Here to Email Sparky Find more posts by Sparky Add Sparky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wvhounds
UKC Forum Member

I've got 1 for ya, I have a completely stock 2006 F-250 Amarillo, Power Stroke, it has factory alum. 20" wheels. in the last two days I've noticed two with cracks in the wheels one bad, one hair line that has gotten worse, left front was the first, I put the spare on the back moved that to the left front, now it has one starting I've called the local dealership they said sorry but not their problem, BUT they will be glad to sell me more for $1,176.00 each. I've ordered new after market wheels and tires for it but is this a common issue? I can't understand how there could be a problem with my truck that would crack a heavy duty wheel and not wear on a tire at all in 40,000 miles. Any ideas?

WILDFIRE
If your dog is fat,you aren't getting enuff exercise!

Old Post 03-02-2010 03:41 PM
wvhounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvhounds Click here to Send wvhounds a Private Message Visit wvhounds's homepage! Find more posts by wvhounds Add wvhounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

oh yeah. that is propably the 4th wheels ive seen cracked like that. as far as im concerned it should be covered under warr. no matter how old or miles. poor quality.but i could tell you some things that you propably wouldnt believe. bottom line i use to be die hard ford for along time but really after the early 90s im not much on there product or there procedures to fix them. for ex, 6,0 powerstroke yeah thats a good one. call me for more info 571233-5819

Old Post 03-02-2010 08:51 PM
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

i put 300 sets of steel wheels on police cars /recall/ they got it right the 2nd time wrong had to replace all of thhem again. note how long have we been producing steel wheels?

Old Post 03-02-2010 08:53 PM
wvhounds
UKC Forum Member

really nice talking to ya, appreciate it!!