UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Training method
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
deercop
UKC Forum Member

Training method

Which one of these plans do you like the best for training a one year old dog that is doing it right (at least most of the time)?

Plan A. I had an old school guy who back in the day had the best dogs of anyone that I knew and he said to take your young dog hunting and when he did something right, take him home and leave him sit for several days to think about it not giving him a chance to mess up. Treed a coon and did it right take him home. Chase a deer and you shock him take him home and let him think about that too. I used this method and some nights you would hunt less than 30 minutes and be headed back to the kennel but it did work to some extent.

Plan B. Hunt the dog as hard as you and him/her can take it. Trying to end always on a good note too but still giving as much woods time as is possible.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-2019 08:37 PM
deercop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deercop Click here to Send deercop a Private Message Find more posts by deercop Add deercop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfoster533
UKC Forum Member

I like plan B with an emphasis on taking them home on a positive note.

Old Post 06-13-2019 08:44 PM
jfoster533 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jfoster533 Click here to Send jfoster533 a Private Message Find more posts by jfoster533 Add jfoster533 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I have heard the same thing over the years but that's applying human logic to a dog. I don't think the dog sets in his kennel and thinks about what he did right or wrong. All he knows is after the first drop he is headed home. I have seen that create a habit of a dog not wanting to recast after the first tree.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-13-2019 10:02 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Plan A ...is what I have used .....with the xception of the negative reinforcement....... The dog gets that opportunity to err again that nite ..... no safe haven reflecting on that error(s).

Old Post 06-13-2019 11:01 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I think if your going with plan A you don't need several days off. I think a year old dog that's treeing coon can be hunted daily for a drop. Likely your life will give it enough days off. As it starts to darken earlier, hunt it more. It will tell you when it's too much, but imo most people don't have the time or available land to over hunt the right kind of 15+ month old dogs ....hunt the sucker!!

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 06-14-2019 02:37 AM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deercop
UKC Forum Member

I think that there are positives in both methods. I get the dog that consistently does it right and gets hauled back home after one turnout might catch on to that. Most young dogs hunting by themselves have enough nights were the first drop doesn't go well and they end up with two or three turnouts until they do something worth taking them home for that they might not catch on to going home early part.

The other part in Plan B is the experience they get with the more hunting. I am talking about hunting them by themselves and they're learning to hunt, track, where to find tracks and all other things associated in hunting.

Old Post 06-14-2019 11:49 AM
deercop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deercop Click here to Send deercop a Private Message Find more posts by deercop Add deercop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

I think plan B! I know this is apples to oranges, but if I'm playing baseball, and I'm in a slump, I need to be hitting, hitting, hitting, to get myself out of my funk. Same thing with golf, you gotta stay out there and work things out.

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 06-14-2019 05:16 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote