UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What is the rule
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
free37
UKC Forum Member

What is the rule

In a hunt if dog trees and the coon is in the tree beside it and the limbs are 12 inches apart.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-02-2015 06:33 PM
free37 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for free37 Click here to Send free37 a Private Message Click Here to Email free37 Find more posts by free37 Add free37 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

All trees are scored with a cast vote, if the majority feel that the coon could have crossed the tree would be plussed, if the vote goes the other way the tree would be minused.
In the real world it probably depends how many dogs are on that tree. lol.

Old Post 03-02-2015 06:45 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
free37
UKC Forum Member

Mine was there the other dog was 20 yards away on a tree with no limbs slick as a ribbon

Old Post 03-02-2015 06:48 PM
free37 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for free37 Click here to Send free37 a Private Message Click Here to Email free37 Find more posts by free37 Add free37 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

A foot away is a good piece. Id more than likely minus it. Specially if coon is just laying up there.

Old Post 03-02-2015 06:54 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
free37
UKC Forum Member

I have seen 4 coons jump this season so I know they can jump a foot. The judge said the rule says if tree touch then you can plus it but I looked in the book and there is not a rule on this.

Old Post 03-02-2015 07:07 PM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

I'll tell it to ya this way. 98.9% of the time. If it don't touch. Regardless of what the rules say or not. Your taking a minus.

Old Post 03-02-2015 07:12 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
free37
UKC Forum Member

I'm was seeing if anybody else has seen a rule on it in black and white.

Old Post 03-02-2015 07:22 PM
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

pretty simple rule, if trees touch or if there is an easy avenue for the coon to cross. Most coons are 12 inches long, and can very easily cross a 12 inch gap. In South Georgia, 12 inches is a foot, in North it must be longer huh Mike? LOL!

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 03-02-2015 08:04 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

There is no rule on it in black and white. The simple fact is that if you get in a cast with guys that have witnessed a coon jump you will probably get plus points. If your dog is the only one on that tree and it means you win I can pretty much guarantee they are going to minus you...just because we all want to be the one that wins and most will do whatever they can to see that they, not you, are the winner. Sad but true.
Personally, I am a pretty skeptical guy. This sport is over run with B.S. stories and excuses why dogs do what they do, so I really don't believe much. Dogs running bigfoot, the same nocturnal gray squirrel getting treed 14 times in one hour, the infamous "bobcat" that jumps out and runs to another tree 8 times a night because "he saw your light coming", black panthers that scream "like a woman"...etc, etc. It's all a load of hog slop. Some of it funny enough to be a Jerry Clower joke.
I have seen a coon jump from one tree to another almost four feet. I have seen all the other things above too, but it sure wasn't what was claimed. We saw him in the tree the dogs were on and scored it. After we were done and getting the dogs a spectator wanted to see the coon so one of the handlers shined and he was gone. We found him sitting in the next tree over. It looked like somewhere around 4 feet distance but might have even been a little more if we could have got up there and measured it.
All that said, this was one time in my 38 years of coon hunting...I do know some guys that have multiple coons jump just about every time they go in the woods, possums too.

Old Post 03-02-2015 08:06 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fire Archer
UKC Forum Member

That is another one of the rules that could keep a COON DOG from winning a hunt. Could a coon cross 12"? He could very easily. But like others have stated, if your COON DOG ends up in that position, is winning the cast/hunt and the others get a chance to minus you then you are screwed. You are probably going to get minused. There is way to many rules that are in the gray area in competition coon hunting and that is why I don't get into it much. Another instance in which best dogs may not win or place and I know you are supposed to win your cast but I believe at SETWD, 10th place registered only had 75+ points. How many registered dogs that never placed had more than 75+ points? I would say there was a bunch of them. I believe it has more to do with guides and hunting areas than it has to do with what is the best dog.

Old Post 03-02-2015 08:14 PM
Fire Archer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fire Archer Click here to Send Fire Archer a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Archer Add Fire Archer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
pretty simple rule, if trees touch or if there is an easy avenue for the coon to cross. Most coons are 12 inches long, and can very easily cross a 12 inch gap. In South Georgia, 12 inches is a foot, in North it must be longer huh Mike? LOL!
Dont matter to me. If that coon is just laying up there in a tree a 12" away. Im voting to minus. Now if its running around like its tails on fire. I'll plus it for ya. A coon dont just cross out and then lay back down and rest

Old Post 03-02-2015 08:15 PM
free37
UKC Forum Member

Yeah I believe your right they didn't want me to win cause we had bad night I was the only one with plus points. Out of 4 dogs.

Old Post 03-02-2015 08:15 PM
Fire Archer
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
Dont matter to me. If that coon is just laying up there in a tree a 12" away. Im voting to minus. Now if its running around like its tails on fire. I'll plus it for ya. A coon dont just cross out and then lay back down and rest

How do you know that the coon is not going to just cross into that tree and lay down? I have seen plenty of coons that the dogs tree that are just laying there. There is nobody on Earth that knows what Ol Ricky is going to do but Ol Ricky himself and he is probably not sure most of the time.

Old Post 03-02-2015 08:34 PM
Fire Archer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fire Archer Click here to Send Fire Archer a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Archer Add Fire Archer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

I know Ive been longer than a whole bunch of folks. Ive prolly on saw 10 coon cross out my whole career. The ones Ive saw do it are going crazy. Trying to get somewhere away from that dog. Ive saw thousands just laying in the same tree the dog is treed on. Not moving a muscle. Ive saw dogs slick A LOT also Which is why coons are a tree over even if crap is touching. So thats why I know what Im gonna do.

Old Post 03-02-2015 08:41 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Come on fellas, coons don't change trees that often. If the only way you get minused is coon crossing out, you should have a Gr. Nt Ch soon.

Old Post 03-02-2015 08:43 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fire Archer
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I know Ive been longer than a whole bunch of folks. Ive prolly on saw 10 coon cross out my whole career. The ones Ive saw do it are going crazy. Trying to get somewhere away from that dog. Ive saw thousands just laying in the same tree the dog is treed on. Not moving a muscle. Ive saw dogs slick A LOT also Which is why coons are a tree over even if crap is touching. So thats why I know what Im gonna do.

I have never said that coons cross out all the time. I have only seen it once or twice myself but I just didn't know that there were Cesar Milan's in the coon world that knew every action a coon would make. When it all comes down to it though, if you are winning the cast you are going to get minused. If you are in the minus, then they may throw you a bone. Your score at that time will probably determine the outcome on the scoring of that situation.

Old Post 03-02-2015 08:52 PM
free37
UKC Forum Member

Yeah last 3 mins

Old Post 03-02-2015 09:00 PM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Made a small (4-6") tree one night on a cast. The next tree over was a giant, and had a coon in it. I had first and first on this tree and needed both to win. To be honest, I thought my dog had missed.
I showered down on my squaller for all I was worth, and that coon came 30' down the big tree, and jumped 5-6' INTO the little tree the dogs were on.

Old Post 03-02-2015 09:15 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fire Archer
I have never said that coons cross out all the time. I have only seen it once or twice myself but I just didn't know that there were Cesar Milan's in the coon world that knew every action a coon would make. When it all comes down to it though, if you are winning the cast you are going to get minused. If you are in the minus, then they may throw you a bone. Your score at that time will probably determine the outcome on the scoring of that situation.
Score has nothing to do with it. Whats sad is all these folk going home crying they was cheated when actually the dog slick treed. If you plus one at 12" a foot or whatever you wanna call it. Where do you stop? 2 foot? 5 foot? Best thing is dont plus it unless they touch and still that can be iffy. Every tree in my woods could be a foot apart and go on for miles.

Old Post 03-02-2015 09:25 PM
Fire Archer
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Score has nothing to do with it. Whats sad is all these folk going home crying they was cheated when actually the dog slick treed. If you plus one at 12" a foot or whatever you wanna call it. Where do you stop? 2 foot? 5 foot? Best thing is dont plus it unless they touch and still that can be iffy. Every tree in my woods could be a foot apart and go on for miles.

Score may not have anything to do with it to you. You may be a straight shooter and that is awesome if you are. But I'd also be willing to bet that with a big hunt title on the line and that is your dog in that situation, you would find every way possible that coon could've crossed out to get them plus points. There is tons of people out there that are looking to bend the rules anyway they can to minus someone else's dog or plus their own dog. You, just like everyone else on here know that is a true statement.

Old Post 03-02-2015 09:32 PM
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

Look at some of the utube vids around coonfeeders sthose suckers can streach a long way plus it baby ya.

Old Post 03-02-2015 09:40 PM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:

I have popped up many a red hot coon...some I even seen still climbing and when we got to the base of the tree he was still as a statue.
There was a video on here a few months back of a coon crossing into another tree...he eve went way out on a limb and bent it down to the one he wanted to get it. Neither was much bigger than a pencil so that business about a solid path to walk across is B.S. too. The biggest problem with something like this where there is no black and white rule is that people feel like it frees them up to make their own.

Old Post 03-02-2015 09:51 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
free37
UKC Forum Member

That's what I was thinking. Make there own.

Old Post 03-02-2015 09:53 PM
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

score what you see,not what could have or might have happened.i`ve seen one jump two feet from one part of a tree to the next BUT not that one.

Old Post 03-02-2015 10:06 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

This is an interesting thread...not too long ago there was another one regarding how to get attendance up at hunts. No one mentioned it until now, but this is just one prime example of how to make absolute certain someone who traveled 3 hours might never come back. Go ahead and make up rules that do not exist just so you can deny someone a few points, maybe even a cast win and placement when a coon is seen 12 inches from where somebody thinks he should be.
I am not saying cheat, but good god, come on fellas...whatever happened to giving the dogs the benefit of the doubt. This is right up there with those people that minus dogs because "they didn't have their feet up on the tree."
About all you have going for you is the chance that the club has a better master of hounds than it does handlers...If this question comes in to me I ask the handlers that voted to minus exactly why this particular coon cannot cross a 12 inch gap...unless they have a good reason I will change the score. Just like the ones that refuse to shine so the majority don't see the coon...their light better have a blown bulb and they better have a neck brace on.

Old Post 03-02-2015 10:27 PM