UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Never thought I would see the day
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Greg Burks
UKC Forum Member

Well said Steve!!!!!! X2

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-18-2015 11:17 PM
Greg Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Burks Click here to Send Greg Burks a Private Message Find more posts by Greg Burks Add Greg Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

WICK AGREES

Got the American Cooner Magazine in the mail yesterday and on page 18 of Wicks article in this paragraph he talks about the very problem so many of us across the Nation face with the reduced number of places to coon hunt. Many of us face the same problem, its not just a southern problem or a problem because a few don't get along with some of the deer hunters or clubs. Consider yourself lucky if it has not affected the places you hunt yet but also as a warning that it could. Don't assume the way it has always been will be the way it always is. Take the first opportunity to visit the landowner on whose land you hunt. Talk to them about hunting rights and if they ever feel like they want to lease their land for deer hunting or any hunting to please give you a chance to lease it first. It just could save your favorite spot.

Old Post 03-01-2015 02:06 PM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terry Dye
UKC Forum Member

Why don't some of you guys invite some of these deer hunters ,that are so against you running your coon hounds, to hunt with you a couple of nights. When they see how deer really react to you and your dogs, you'd be suprised at the doors that might open up to you. Ive been through the same thing in the past and took the bull by the horns and proved to some of these guys, by walking witnin ft. of bedded deer and having deer bedded within sight of treeing dogs, that they were totally wrong in their thinking. In fact, one of the most vocal critics of coon hunting with dogs in our club had so much fun with us, that he wanted
go every chance he could. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Educating these people is the most powerful tool that you have. They just haven't had the experience to form a proper opinion.

Old Post 03-03-2015 07:26 PM
Terry Dye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Terry Dye Click here to Send Terry Dye a Private Message Click Here to Email Terry Dye Find more posts by Terry Dye Add Terry Dye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

DEER HUNTERS WELCOME

Been there done that. Most that I have talked to could care less about hearing a hound go. Pleasure to one set of ears is pain to another. I grew up with hunting dogs. Beagles after rabbits, hounds after deer then switched to beagles for deer when hunting lands began to shrink then quit that in my early 20's. And now I don't know anyone around here that run deer with hounds anymore. I have lost hounds and had people call and I gave them a small reward for finding my hound and calling. Have found hounds and called the owners and never took a dime. I'm not mad with anyone that don't want a hound on their land as that is their right. We have land to hunt, just not as much as 10 years ago due to changing times and conditions. When you hunt 4 or more nights a week year round its nice to have a lot of options as you will burn out hunting the same few places over and over. But most times its not from the lack of effort on a coon hunters part with trying to get permission to hunt more land. From inviting them to go along, showing them deer in pictures from my yard eating Buck Busters Grass with the kennel also in the picture, offering to pay a fee to just coon hunt, offering them permission to deer hunt my land in exchange to coon hunt theirs, ect. Worked out some deals but others are dead set against any hounds on their land. So when I say, been there done that I'm not trying to be a S A. Most guys have done all that to trying to get land to hunt. I know there are some that may have a bad rep in their area and that's why they cant get permission but that is not my case or any others I know and call friends that also have the same problem. Or folks I don't know that have the same problem in a lot of different States. As each generation gets older we like to talk about the good ole days. Most folks don't like change. The ones that adapt, survive, the others hang up the lead and quit, feel its not worth it anymore. I'm a survivor. I quit after Hurricane Katrina as it blew down a lot of big trees in my part of the country and the briars and privet hedge grew into thickets where there wasn't any before. Almost impossible to hunt any of the land I used to hunt. In August of 2013 I told my Wife it didn't feel right to live on the river and have a 3 year old grandson and not have a Bluetick puppy for him to grow up with and I get to watch one turn into a coon hound while the other turned into a young man. Thus began my 2nd coon hunting life. As soon as we got the pup I started knocking on doors and asking permission and couldn't believe the change that had took place in those 9 years. Unreal. A lot of people came this way from LA. after having their home and life's destroyed by the hurricane. They bought a lot of different lands in the area and leased others. Other places around here just clear cut all they had after a lot got blown down and that is planted pine thickets now. Just a lot of reasons why good hunting land is getting harder and harder to find. My getting out of coon hunting for those 9 years cost me half the spots as I had before because I lost touch with the people that had them. I might have lost some anyway but I don't feel I would have lost half. That's why I said if you have good spots don't lose touch with the land owner or take for granted it will always be there and never change because it will.

Old Post 03-03-2015 09:29 PM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terry Dye
UKC Forum Member

Steve, I feel for you and every body else that has lost their hunting lands. My suggestion was for the guys that are denied access to deer clubs because of the fear, or excuse that a coon dog will ruin their deer hunting. I am in a 8600 ac. club in North Miss. that used to be some of the best coon hunting along the Miss. river. Now we have probably 1000 ac. that is huntable after the timber co. got through with us. When they finish, I won't have enough to even run a dog in.

Old Post 03-03-2015 10:32 PM
Terry Dye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Terry Dye Click here to Send Terry Dye a Private Message Click Here to Email Terry Dye Find more posts by Terry Dye Add Terry Dye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

UNDERSTAND

Thanks. The timber companies and school board 16th section land used to leave all the hardwood, at least along the creeks, sloughs and rivers but not anymore. They cut it all and plant pine trees. The couple of WMA's I have went and looked at around here manage pine trees, not wildlife. Of course they say they do and you can hunt it but when you drive through it, all pine trees. Would be some great quail hunting. Keep hoping I will hit the Powerball and buy up a huge chunk of beautiful hardwood bottomland but no luck yet! lol! Take Care and Good Hunting.

Old Post 03-03-2015 11:16 PM