UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > track drifting in walker studs?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mr nelson
UKC Forum Member

track drifting in walker studs?

any lines today doing more drifting than others?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-03-2015 12:02 PM
mr nelson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr nelson Click here to Send mr nelson a Private Message Find more posts by mr nelson Add mr nelson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr nelson
UKC Forum Member

to the top one time, and that's all.

Old Post 01-04-2015 07:53 PM
mr nelson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr nelson Click here to Send mr nelson a Private Message Find more posts by mr nelson Add mr nelson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

drifting

guess not! LOL some of these guys would say that was a flaw! and should be curled. and call it silent. I love those things. well not the silent part. hard to get very few! not breed for that. jmo

Last edited by CHEWBACH on 01-04-2015 at 08:13 PM

Old Post 01-04-2015 08:06 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

Re: track drifting in walker studs?

quote:
Originally posted by mr nelson
any lines today doing more drifting than others?

I have a young male out of Mojo that drifts allot. I don't really know if that's a trait of all his pups or not, but I sure like how mine runs a track.
He's not silent when he's doing it either. Sometimes the eight comes close to getting him but never does. Then other times he's very vocal but he runs with his head up like he already knows where it's headed.

Last edited by RLenhart on 01-04-2015 at 08:26 PM

Old Post 01-04-2015 08:13 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Drifting Trackdog

I haven't seen it as a common trait in any stud recently, but I do have two out of Deventer's Roxie that run a cold track with their headup. They don't really leave the track, but shut up when the scent is weaker and wide open when there is good scent. I much prefer this type over the drifting type that swings and drifts when they aren't getting any scent at all as they can completely loose the track if they swing the wrong way. In Wisconsin we have snow to help see what is actually happening. It is hard to tell by just hearing if the dog is drifting and staying on track or drifting and switching tracks. Both my dogs are from different males so I'm figuring that the trait comes from Roxie. There never has been alot of dogs with this ability.

Old Post 01-04-2015 08:42 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

You guys are way to dependent on the stud, just go hunt with a few offsprings, then ask what dominant traits he is producing, every stud should have One Dominant trait, cross it with the rite female an you have balance, most people cant trian a balanced hound.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-04-2015 08:54 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
You guys are way to dependent on the stud, just go hunt with a few offsprings, then ask what dominant traits he is producing, every stud should have One Dominant trait, cross it with the rite female an you have balance, most people cant trian a balanced hound.
most don't know what the definition of balance is! gr nt to gr nt don't mean nothing with out balance. give me a balanced hound I will hunt it and it will train its self. jmo

Last edited by CHEWBACH on 01-04-2015 at 09:12 PM

Old Post 01-04-2015 08:57 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
searay88
New UKC Forum Member

Who would want a drifter???? I want mine on the track ....tight.

Old Post 01-04-2015 11:01 PM
searay88 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for searay88 Click here to Send searay88 a Private Message Click Here to Email searay88 Find more posts by searay88 Add searay88 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr nelson
UKC Forum Member

like a beagle, with his nose to the ground?

Old Post 01-04-2015 11:34 PM
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by searay88
wow not this ol' boy! Lol

Old Post 01-05-2015 01:27 AM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by searay88

I like them smart enough to stick closer when it's hot and drift it when it's cold.

Old Post 01-05-2015 02:43 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Top Trackdogs

I have two and they are both out of Deventer's Roxy. One is out of the Outsider and one is out of Bellar's Psycho. I've also seen good trackdogs out of Buck Creek Tex.
They are not trained they are born and most are better after 5 tracks as pups than the average Gr.Nt. Ch. ever gets to be. Also my opinion is that it is genetically controlled by double recessive gene so that both parents have to contribute and it helps if the dogs have a high intelligence to be able to utilize what they inherited.

Old Post 01-05-2015 03:03 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
most don't know what the definition of balance is! gr nt to gr nt don't mean nothing with out balance. give me a balanced hound I will hunt it and it will train its self. jmo
there you go. get you a good red eagle female and you r sitting in the front row and you can take that to the bank

Old Post 01-05-2015 05:52 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wes Vondo
UKC Forum Member

Drifter

I got a pup out of Neosho river money maker, and that's kinda how he tracks. he's not silent either. maker is owned by jesse bedward, he's on here. it sounds like a lot of his pups are doing it, look him up

Old Post 01-05-2015 05:58 PM
Wes Vondo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Vondo Click here to Send Wes Vondo a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Vondo Find more posts by Wes Vondo Add Wes Vondo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cowboyjones
UKC Forum Member

There's not much drifting going on , but they sure have some wood animals lmao but Kler is right jmo

GR NT CH STYLISH SUPER BEE
GR NT CH RIDGETOP SADIE II
GR NT CH BRETTS TREE TALKING ROSE
GR NT CH JONES TREE TALKING MISSY
NT CH JONES' CARRIE
NT CH JONES LUCIFER
NT CH JONES DAKOTA
NT CH JONES COUNTRY PRIDE

Last edited by cowboyjones on 01-06-2015 at 09:52 PM

Old Post 01-06-2015 09:49 PM
cowboyjones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cowboyjones Click here to Send cowboyjones a Private Message Click Here to Email cowboyjones Find more posts by cowboyjones Add cowboyjones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carl Fox
UKC Forum Member

I LOVE A DRIFTING TRACK DOG THAT RUNS WITH HIS HEAD IN THE AIR AND CROSSES THE TRACK ABOUT EVER 30 YARDS.

DON'T WANT NO SLED TRACK DOGS THAT HAS TO STICK ITS NOSE IN EVER TRACK LIKE A RABIT HOUND ON A FROSTY MORNING.

EVEN BETTER I WOULD LIKE FOR MY DOG TO START TREEING 30 YARDS BEFORE HE OR SHE GETS TO THE TREE BUT VERY FEW DOGS ARE ABLE TO DO THAT.

ONE THING I HATE ABOUT ANY DOG IS LOCATE AND MOVE ALL NIGHT LONG AND HAVE TO WAIT FOREVER BEFORE THE OWNER DECIDES HE OR SHE IS GOING TO STICK.
HATE THOSE KIND OF DOGS.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING INSTEAD
OF HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS!!!

Old Post 03-02-2015 02:10 PM
Carl Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carl Fox Click here to Send Carl Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Carl Fox Add Carl Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

The true drifting style track dog usually runs to catch. They can make a bad track look like a good track. This is my preferred style of track dog. They make things happen faster. The female I am hunting now is a drifting style track dog. Several times this winter she was 10-20 yards down wind of the coon tracks in the snow.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 03-02-2015 03:25 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Drifting

I like a drifting hound if they do it right, I don't want one that just hits here and there . Hunted with an old Hickory nut harry male years ago that was the best iv ever seen.

Ray Hudson

Old Post 03-02-2015 03:47 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sy Sparks
UKC Forum Member

MR Nelson.....

.... Sent you a PM. I like track dogs that like to drift a track, Ive seen some dogs standing on their head while a drifting track dog figure it out! They tend to be good Lay-Up dogs too, the ones I have seen hunt with their head up.

Check me out on Facebook

Old Post 03-02-2015 03:48 PM
Sy Sparks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sy Sparks Click here to Send Sy Sparks a Private Message Find more posts by Sy Sparks Add Sy Sparks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Talk to Joe Newlin,Oak Ridge Kennels, he breeds that type of dog, good mouths too.

Old Post 03-02-2015 06:55 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cmuxlow
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carl Fox
[B]I LOVE A DRIFTING TRACK DOG THAT RUNS WITH HIS HEAD IN THE AIR AND CROSSES THE TRACK ABOUT EVER 30 YARDS.

DON'T WANT NO SLED TRACK DOGS THAT HAS TO STICK ITS NOSE IN EVER TRACK LIKE A RABIT HOUND ON A FROSTY MORNING.

EVEN BETTER I WOULD LIKE FOR MY DOG TO START TREEING 30 YARDS BEFORE HE OR SHE GETS TO THE TREE BUT VERY FEW DOGS ARE ABLE TO DO THAT.

Sounds like you've described my hound to a T.
Would you say this style are more accurate with having the meat as well?
I don't go to many empty or den trees with mine.
If these dogs are hard to come by maybe I should start looking for that right female! This is definitely my favorite style of hound.

Old Post 03-03-2015 06:42 PM
cmuxlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cmuxlow Click here to Send cmuxlow a Private Message Find more posts by cmuxlow Add cmuxlow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carl Fox
UKC Forum Member

You have a #1 stud dog if he will do this on a consistant bacics.

Adrifting track dog who trees before he gets to the tree one of a kind.

Way you know you have one you start leading out of the hills and dog starts standing on his or her hind legs and treeing ever breath up in the air.

Now they have to have brains to go with the nose or you have a stark raving fool wind treeing all over the hill.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING INSTEAD
OF HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS!!!

Old Post 03-03-2015 07:09 PM
Carl Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carl Fox Click here to Send Carl Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Carl Fox Add Carl Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cmuxlow
UKC Forum Member

This hound will most always sound as he is treed 20 or so yards according to the garmin before he totaly comes locked on the tree. He is a layup artist! He gets coons treed fast he is a true pleasure to walk behind. He is a little over 3 now. I would like to get some pups out of him and into the right hands but it's a challenge to find the right female to match him up with and he is not directly out of any flashy well known titled up dogs. He is a result of coondogs being bred to coondogs

Old Post 03-03-2015 07:30 PM
cmuxlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cmuxlow Click here to Send cmuxlow a Private Message Find more posts by cmuxlow Add cmuxlow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
squirrelhunter7
UKC Forum Member

Running a track is just as important as treeing. I think a balance of track and tree would be a good thing. I hunt with a buddy that has sure enough a tree dog. I had a dog that would go hunting and move a track. Caught three on the ground in two weeks. If I could get the best of both of these I'd be happy happy

Old Post 03-03-2015 08:15 PM
squirrelhunter7 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for squirrelhunter7 Click here to Send squirrelhunter7 a Private Message Click Here to Email squirrelhunter7 Find more posts by squirrelhunter7 Add squirrelhunter7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: Drifting Trackdog

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
I haven't seen it as a common trait in any stud recently, but I do have two out of Deventer's Roxie that run a cold track with their headup. They don't really leave the track, but shut up when the scent is weaker and wide open when there is good scent. I much prefer this type over the drifting type that swings and drifts when they aren't getting any scent at all as they can completely loose the track if they swing the wrong way. In Wisconsin we have snow to help see what is actually happening. It is hard to tell by just he for aring if the dog is drifting and staying on track or drifting and switching tracks. Both my dogs are from different males so I'm figuring that the trait comes from Roxie. There never has been alot of dogs with this ability.

Track drifters drift hot , jumped tracks. Most hounds will straddle a cold track until jumped. at this point a track drifter will pick his head up and run yards off of the track. They are running a scent stream instead of pad scent. Not a trait I find necessary for coon hunting.

Old Post 03-03-2015 08:48 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote