UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What is the rule
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

What about dogs treeing" lay up" coons where there is no scent on the trunk of the tree? Could a little wind drift cause a dog to miss by a few feet. He's got no way to know where the coon climbed. But he sure found a coon the others couldn't find.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-02-2015 10:59 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Isn't this to be determined by the judge before shine time, not after you find the coon? Also UKC rules do NOT determine the best hound. Rules are rules period, if the coon crosses or jumps just as you get there, well too bad. Its just a game.

Old Post 03-03-2015 01:39 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Ed zachary
Isn't this to be determined by the judge before shine time, not after you find the coon? Also UKC rules do NOT determine the best hound. Rules are rules period, if the coon crosses or jumps just as you get there, well too bad. Its just a game.

I have seen a lot of things happen in a hunt but plus points on a coon before you find it???? I have yet to see the coon plused before it was found. Maybe I read this wrong.

Old Post 03-03-2015 01:49 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
I have seen a lot of things happen in a hunt but plus points on a coon before you find it???? I have yet to see the coon plused before it was found. Maybe I read this wrong.

Maybe?

Old Post 03-03-2015 01:59 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
free37
UKC Forum Member

There is no rule in the book about this.

Old Post 03-03-2015 02:06 AM
free37 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for free37 Click here to Send free37 a Private Message Click Here to Email free37 Find more posts by free37 Add free37 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Burks
UKC Forum Member

So, the dog strikes runs and trees and there's a coon in the tree next to it that is inches apart....the dog slick treed but there just happened to be a coon in that very close tree...I don't think so!!!!

Old Post 03-03-2015 10:59 AM
Greg Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Burks Click here to Send Greg Burks a Private Message Find more posts by Greg Burks Add Greg Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
free37
UKC Forum Member

Guess you have never seen one jump or cross out?

Old Post 03-03-2015 12:00 PM
free37 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for free37 Click here to Send free37 a Private Message Click Here to Email free37 Find more posts by free37 Add free37 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Burks
UKC Forum Member

That's what I'm saying! !!! That coon didn't just happen to be there....

Old Post 03-03-2015 12:06 PM
Greg Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Burks Click here to Send Greg Burks a Private Message Find more posts by Greg Burks Add Greg Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsearless
UKC Forum Member

miss,

i have had it happen a few times myself. i dont think he climbed or jumped, i just assume my dog missed. He was close but just didnt finish perfect. If my dog aint parked under the coon.. he missed. maybe thats because im hard on him, but thats just they way i am and i was raised.

If you read this, go back and read msinc's post again.

bsearlesa@gmail.com
(765) 661-2563
Mt. Etna Indiana

Old Post 03-03-2015 01:44 PM
bsearless is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bsearless Click here to Send bsearless a Private Message Click Here to Email bsearless Find more posts by bsearless Add bsearless to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer
All trees are scored with a cast vote, if the majority feel that the coon could have crossed the tree would be plussed, if the vote goes the other way the tree would be minused.
In the real world it probably depends how many dogs are on that tree. lol.

John, you're spot on 99% of the time but would respectfully disagree with your response.

Deciding whether or not two trees are scored as one is not a majority of the cast decision. The judge should make that decision. Then, if any one cast member does not agree with the judge's call they may request for a cast vote. It takes a majority vote to change the judge's call.

It takes a majority to see a coon before you can score the points plus, yes. But this is not a matter of seeing a coon. It's a judgment matter on whether or not the coon "likely" crossed over from the tree where the dogs are treed on. I say "likely" opposed to "could". Big difference.

I would add one more note: In the real world the judge's integrity and common sense plays the biggest role.

Old Post 03-03-2015 02:08 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Burks
UKC Forum Member

I will have to agree with John and Allen....

Old Post 03-03-2015 05:06 PM
Tim moore
UKC Forum Member

coon highways

How far is ok to plus a coon? I do believe that coon sometimes cross out. I've seen it happen. I also believe that its a bad break if the coon is beside the tree your treeing on. It could of crossed out but probably didn't. I would vote minus. My buddy has a dog right now that will miss 30% of his coon and it will be in the tree beside where he's treeing. Winding it I guess. Here's what happened to me
In a big hunt (different registry). judges dog trees on a small tree going up to a big tree. No coon in big tree. Its summer time and basically all trees are touching each other. A coon is seen 6 trees away and 35 big steps from original tree. Tree is plussed and I questioned it. I put up my money and the panel ruled that the trees touched plus it. Probably helped that the guy used to sit on the board of the registry.

Take your minus. Nobody wants to, but if the coon aint in your tree and the trees aren't grown together, chalk it up to a bad break.

Old Post 03-10-2015 04:01 PM
Tim moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim moore Click here to Send Tim moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim moore Find more posts by Tim moore Add Tim moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
A foot away is a good piece. Id more than likely minus it. Specially if coon is just laying up there.
I've seen coon jump much farther than a foot from tree to tree,so I know they can jump that far,,,I would PLUS IT

Old Post 03-10-2015 07:14 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

I don't think the rule says it has to touch, it says a obveuse(spelling) cross!

Old Post 03-11-2015 11:32 PM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote