UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Just a question for the old guys ?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Just a question for the old guys ?

Somthing I witnessed back many times in the old 3 hr hunt days. You drew a coondog that was an athlete just total and complete domination as the night went on they just got stronger to the point they broke the other dogs in the cast will to compete just took away their spirit. I remember some but y'all can name them if you like.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-12-2019 03:40 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Tar...a dog like that might be too much dog for the average hunter...and that would be one reason why there isn’t so many...

Old Post 03-12-2019 03:47 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

The ones I hunted with were really well trained and just treed coon after coon some the other dogs didn't even have a clue the coon was there. All most of the time in less than a mile from the pickup the whole hunt. Just absolute were so dominate the other dogs quit and their handlers did to.

I will let the other guys mention some of them.

Tar

Old Post 03-12-2019 04:00 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Re: Just a question for the old guys ?

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Somthing I witnessed back many times in the old 3 hr hunt days. You drew a coondog that was an athlete just total and complete domination as the night went on they just got stronger to the point they broke the other dogs in the cast will to compete just took away their spirit. I remember some but y'all can name them if you like. Tar

You’ve got to start sharing some of that stuff tarbaby, too dang good to be bogarting the way you have been.

PM me the link to the outfit that has those rose colored glasses while your at it!

As always, feel free to share how the rabbit is doing

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 03-12-2019 04:04 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Vic it will ruin the post if I go to blaben lol ! Some of us are going to say the same ones.

Tar

Old Post 03-12-2019 04:13 AM
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

I saw a walker out of Mundo one night at Quinton Okla score about 1000 points more than the nearest dog. He looked unbeatable and sold for big money the next week. The dogs name was Levi.

Old Post 03-12-2019 04:44 AM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

I hunted with Lonnie Myers and Finley river Dan several times when Lonnie lived in my area then he moved to Springfield,MO. First trophy I ever won was a hunt out in Kansas. I was hunting an older Plott female and Lonnie had Dan which was only 10 months old. Dont remember other cast members, got to remember this was somewhere in the mid to later 60s. We treed a collie dog and two big coons under an old abandoned house and I won the cast with 25+. Sometime later I had a outstanding Plott female and Lonnie had Dan, they were both Nite champions and the only ones in this 3 hour cast. I carried the card and we drove little over an hour to get to my real good spot. They treed one together and then later were split mine had a den and Dans was on the outside. So that gave him his 4th win which was a fri. nite. We were the only nite champion the next night sat. and Dan got his 5th. win. So I got to see what a top dog Dan was and Lonnie was always a great gentelman to hunt with. Saw each other at Winter classic couple of years ago and enjoyed bringing up old times. If I had been a walker man my walkers would of had a whole lot of ole Dan in them.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 03-12-2019 03:54 PM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redfeather
UKC Forum Member

seen coon stopper come in with 1000+ and scratched out with 500-

Old Post 03-12-2019 03:59 PM
redfeather is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redfeather Click here to Send redfeather a Private Message Click Here to Email redfeather Find more posts by redfeather Add redfeather to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by redfeather
seen coon stopper come in with 1000+ and scratched out with 500-

Ken we both know how good aw's handling skills were lol. Bless his heart he tried hard tho lol.

Always had that little adolf hitler mustache lol. That's why we called him the mustache man lol.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 03-12-2019 at 05:00 PM

Old Post 03-12-2019 04:56 PM
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

One of my mentors who was probably the hardest hunter I've ever known, was on a cast of Grand Nights or Nt. CH. back in the 70's. He told me Boyds Little Joe treed 3 coons on that cast, and his dog backed him on one, but those were the only coons treed that night! He said the same thing about Minklers Kansas Rock, at Walker Days. Said he treed coons, the other dogs didn't know was in the woods.

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 03-12-2019 06:18 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Hey Vic this ones for you !!

Utchmans blue locktite gene degrafied brought him in this country just pounded you coon after coon for the whole hunt treeing every coon he struck even layups and was a one bark pressure tree dog.

Tar

Old Post 03-12-2019 06:37 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I saw Finley River Joe tree 5 singles, temp 15 deg snow so deep you could hardly get thru it. The kicker is there was 2 other Grnts there and they could not tree after Joe had them treed. Best Coon Dog I ever hunted with.

Old Post 03-12-2019 06:50 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

Pac man, Hardwood Dan several times and yes one night Lipper, half pint patty would make you want to quit and you needed a stout dog to tree with her first of this kind of dog I ever hunted It was a love hate kind of thing. here is the way I see it 70s early 80s coon dogs mid 80s to late 90s mean dogs that ran junk and got treed late 90s till now slick treeing thyroid dogs but not as mean as the late 90s

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Last edited by wjoey on 03-13-2019 at 02:29 AM

Old Post 03-13-2019 02:06 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
The ones I hunted with were really well trained and just treed coon after coon some the other dogs didn't even have a clue the coon was there. All most of the time in less than a mile from the pickup the whole hunt.

I will let the other guys mention some of them.

Tar

That’s the type of dog I like...I just don’t see why anyone in their right mind would want anything different...I could not keep a dog that runs wide open in a straight line and then trees one at a mile...I wouldn’t waste my time on that dog...

You have said many times that different hunters like different type hunting dogs and that is why there are so many culls out there...

Old Post 03-13-2019 02:59 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

How common where they Tar?

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 03-13-2019 03:05 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Maybe because I was competing then it seemed like there was more of them than now but all I do is see the play by plays. Like Jeremy's joe dog he is consistent in the hunts he has been in just don't have bad nights so far. I am watching him I think he is special. But we hunted 3 hrs in the same spot babbling would eventually get you scratched high numbers at the hunts you had to beat high scores to win and we had no plan B win with circle or minus. But it was a different time.

Here is anouther out of the whole lipper era grntch houses lawyer would pound you coon after coon the whole hunt he was my favorite.

Tar

Old Post 03-13-2019 03:20 AM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

29 years ago at SETWD I drew GrNtCh High Tide, GrNtCh Yadkin River Money, GrNtCh (But can’t remember his name) and I was hunting GrNtCh C,B a direct son of Pac-Man! 4 Big Loud Male Coon Dogs, the owners and handlers came to win big or go home, there was no circles, we seen a coon or we took our minus, it took a brave Man to walk in to the tree with all 4 males blowing the top out, slobber slinging, it was a site to see an hear, I won the cast by 25 but what I remember the most was the professionalism and respect.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 03-13-2019 03:37 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Tim that's what this post is about well spoken.

Tar

Old Post 03-13-2019 03:45 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I see a few now again but they definitely are not common. They were not back then either but I feel like I seen more of them. I feel like a big reason for this change over the years started with the supper stakes. Used to be when I went to a local hunt I was hunting against 4, 5 and 6 year old coon dogs. Now all I draw is young dogs and pups. They are retired and sold by the time they are a coon dog. Yes I have seen some really nice young dogs but its nothing like drawing a cast of 5 or 6 year old coon dogs that have had the hair hunted off of them.

I owned a female in the late 90's that when the cast were drawn out and they seen they had her on the cast they just dropped their head. They knew they were beat before we left the club. I've had some sense then that demanded respect but none like her.

Home Of:

Old Post 03-13-2019 02:07 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Joey I still got the stuff that can win buuuuuut they got an old crippled broke fat man following them and you have to hunt them. some nights I just don't feel like it. They are to tuff for me I use the Toyota as much as I can. I feel like my age group has those back in the day consistent dogs we always had. But these young handlers want to get paid what I could pay a bran new house payment with even if they don't win. I can still win if I feel like going and I don't enjoy the death marches worth a chit lol.

Tar

Old Post 03-13-2019 02:19 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Well Tar when ever the water goes down come see me. I'm not that far, I got 10k acres covered in coon and we can put the headlights of the sxs on every tree. For us broke down fat folks.

Home Of:

Old Post 03-13-2019 02:56 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Say when !! I am loose as a goose if you ain't got any fish I will bring some !

Tar

Old Post 03-13-2019 04:01 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Yadkin River Bear

An absolute freak of nature. I owned his great grandma. his grandpa and his daddy. My buddy Ralph Williams raised this litter and I got a female that I sold at 8 months old in the woods by herself and Ralph was hunting Bear by himself at 5 months old and another hunter heard him run and tree and came into the tree and offered a nice price for him. I bought him off Ralph because he started running deer and Ralph couldn't tell if it was a coon or deer. All his tracks were the same, wide open. Squall mouth and was unbelieveable fast. more than once on a cast I heard other hunters say we won't have to worry about that dog, he's leaving on a deer and then listen to him locate and have it.
He was hunted in Indiana in nine cast and never lost a cast. Won the Lee Crawford, came back the next year and was in the top ten. No dog at that time had ever placed in the top ten three years in a row so went back for a try and was supposedly dryholed. He still managed to tree one the others never knew was in the woods. He placed 13th then turned around and won his cast on Friday night out of 144 nt.ch. hunted. Chris Leigh bought him and kept him until Bear died.

Old Post 03-13-2019 08:43 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Not really anything anybody else ain't done but. I bought the 2000 pkc world champion you can read that play by play had two dogs had so many trees they had to write them on the back of the card lol.one dog running and ole bozz just kept treeing coons. I won the Oklahoma state championship and American heritage hunt with him and quite a few $$$ hunts. Then found out he was Sterile. I trained my grchgrntch yadkin tar deacon dog with him deacon ended up my once in a life time dog. Raised grntch hell female ( granny ) , grch ntch boomer , and grch ntch Macie out of deacon . Won the Oklahoma state championship and pkc champion with granny. Boomer was ntch winner at Ada Oklahoma. Macie is the dam of my grch ntch babe female I hunt now and cruiser is out of granny and Fred he was out of a littermate to babe I got Fred through the zones a couple years back as a two year old. He lacked one win being a dual grand when he got killed. I have owned tons of titled dogs but none suited me like these. I handled dogs for one of the biggest retailers of used coondogs for years we was at every hunt. When some of the most powerful dogs going finished their competition career he bought them most just didn't reproduce. But I hunted with them that's where I got my experience of many types of dogs. What this thread ment to me is the greatest dogs I seen just didn't make mistakes and were strong the whole hunt the dogs I see today ( in the play by plays ) it's in black and white still win tons of money with mistakes. I don't know nothing more than anybody my age that's been where I been should know. There is several of these young folks I am really proud of and would love to pass down what I have to them someday.

Tar

Old Post 03-14-2019 09:21 AM
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I hunted with Piney Hill Sam a bunch. He could run a coon like most dogs ran deer. Tar Heel Henry could make other dogs look foolish too. He drew Half Pint Patty the year she won the $KC World and if he had gotten 1st strike instead of her; he might have won the whole thing. They split and it was her strike on that turnout that was the difference. Think he also was 2nd in the next World and 4th in the UKC World. That was the year the Radar dog won it and they had to go until after daylight to tree one. Henry wouldn't have taken that long.
Another hound that was impressive was an old crippled English dog named Buxton Creek Chip. If he had been at full capacity; he might have been hard to handle. I saw him dominate a couple of Nite Ch. casts as he was.

Old Post 03-15-2019 12:51 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote