UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Getting a dog to go out
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AKE
UKC Forum Member

Getting a dog to go out

Got a little dog here that is a year old and can do it all by herself just one problem unless that track starts about 100 yards from you she won't go out any farther. If she get on a track she goes as far as needed but if no track is within that 100 yards she will just come back. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-26-2020 01:25 AM
AKE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AKE Click here to Send AKE a Private Message Find more posts by AKE Add AKE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

Switch her and send her on

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 07-26-2020 05:55 AM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gerald mullis
UKC Forum Member

Get off road were you can turn her loose get back in truck and ignore her or walk hunt her ignore her

Old Post 07-26-2020 01:07 PM
gerald mullis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gerald mullis Click here to Send gerald mullis a Private Message Click Here to Email gerald mullis Find more posts by gerald mullis Add gerald mullis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Pick one good drop where you can cut from a distance. First, lead her all the way to the woods, the next time at the same place, lead her until she is begging to be cut. If she has hunt after a several times she will go from the truck and hunt fruther

Old Post 07-26-2020 01:26 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dog

Pm me if she don't work out I'm looking for a close hunting patch dog, thanks

Old Post 07-26-2020 02:18 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Everyone has given great advice. Try them all and see what works. Don't get your temper up if something isn't working try the next thing. The more you hunt her the better but some just never hunt out great. Not all hunters want a dog to hunt deep.

Old Post 07-26-2020 03:58 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
Pm me if she don't work out I'm looking for a close hunting patch dog, thanks

These type dogs will only gain in popularity as hunting grounds shrink. If I didn't hunt this type of dog, I wouldn't have but a couple of places to hunt until after deer season.

If you switch a dog you can make it stay away from you but you can't make it hunt.

Old Post 07-26-2020 07:52 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
If you switch a dog you can make it stay away from you but you can't make it hunt.

Spot on with this. The hunt thing happens at the moment of conception. They either got it or they don’t. I wouldn’t get to rough with her. You’ll likely make it worse. When you turn her loose. Stay put. When she checks in send her on again. She may come to hunting out deeper once she realizes your not moving.

If she has all the other tools get her into the hands of someone who likes that type of hound. It’s a win win for the dog, you and the new owner!

Any hound I ever have owned that would get in deep did it pretty much from the beginning. You can teach a deep hunting hound to stay in closer with a collar but never seen one you could train to hunt deep.

Good luck!

Old Post 07-27-2020 08:18 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Lots of good comments. Remember- hunting out far, is not the same thing as hunting hard. If a dog ranges out 1/2 mile and missed three coons... he was not hunting hard- just deep. A dog can hunt hard 100 yards from you, or a mile from you. I would prefer a dog to hunt a little deeper as needed.... but what I really care about is: Are they hunting smart, and hunting hard- do they generally find a track to run.

Old Post 07-27-2020 08:42 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I've never had to do this but I read one solution that made sense to me. He said to take a caged coon and set it about where her normal range was. Let her go and find it. Next time set it maybe 50 yards further and let her find it. Keep doing this till your setting the cage maybe 400 yards or ask deep. He said the dog would leave you looking for a coon. Now I can see some issues this might create but it might be worth trying. Oh you do this on different days not on the same day.

Old Post 07-27-2020 08:51 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

as painful as it is when dog checks in quit layup 2-3 nights repeat give it a month or 2 you will see huge improvement

Old Post 07-27-2020 11:06 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I prefer one that likes to hunt myself....BUT this day and time a lot of pups do what yours is doing and I myself use the old boot method on those. No I can’t make em hunt but I can make em get out of my light

Old Post 07-27-2020 11:31 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

If one comes back and hangs around me I'll tie it to the bumper of the truck or the closest tree to where I'm standing and turn another dog loose and keep on hunting. If it's got any hunt in it you won't have to do it too many times.

Old Post 07-28-2020 01:40 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

1 yr old !!

A lot of ( pups ) and that what your dog is don’t have enough maturity to hunt out big distances at that age. A couple nights a week hunt with an older dog to show it the ropes as it gets a little older and the weather gets cooler you will notice a change.

Tar

Old Post 07-28-2020 01:55 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

If it was me and your young dog is treeing coon alone I’d keep taking it alone until it becomes well ingrained in its head what it’s suppose to do.

Then I’d be real picky what I ran it with for the next year. Run it 75% of the time alone. Young hounds are like young kids, they pick up the bad habits quicker than the good ones!😉

Old Post 07-28-2020 02:29 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote