UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Need help understanding DNa
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sawyer Hortin
UKC Forum Member

Is say plenty lol

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-17-2019 06:21 PM
Sawyer Hortin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sawyer Hortin Click here to Send Sawyer Hortin a Private Message Find more posts by Sawyer Hortin Add Sawyer Hortin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

DNA profiles are just the genetic make up of that particular animal. No two profiles are the same, because each dog, even littermates, are different and will have a different signature. Like human DNA. The letters are labels and it is very interesting to see how many show up across the breeds. I study this a lot. For example: I have two littermate sisters, both DNA’d...the report is very similar, but not exact. One dog barks in the pen, one does not. Is that the difference...who knows. The DNA today is used to prove parents, because let’s say a reproducing stud dog dies or goes sterile that a person has been selling high dollar pups off of and you want that to continue...with out DNA to prove it, you could just cover those females with his brother and keep rolling. It has happened before.

Back to the original. Those letters are that dogs signature and the blanks are either non detected areas or non tested areas.

Just my thoughts.

Old Post 11-17-2019 08:17 PM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Re: Need help understanding DNa

quote:
Originally posted by Dave1
What do all the letters mean on the DNA analysis? If some letters are the same whats it mean and if there are blanks whats it mean? Thanks in advance

Blank spaces...Your sample may have been weak
Unless you contact lab that did sampling the letters could mean anything.
Guy I know and I were trying to figure them out and how close pups were related to parents when we were getting ours DNA'ed.
When UKC switched labs it messed us all up because it changed their marker identifications.
Any way Lab would not tell him what area sequence represented due to liability issues.
Years ago there was the guy that was breeding Black and tans in Ok " F. Smith" that ran regular articles before DNA was even popular. How to understand them and showed his DNA results..

These letters could mean anything . Hair length, coat color,body size,,eye color, chop mouth, bawl mouth, etc.

Without getting to technical. Just trying to make this easy to under stand.
Lets say you have a stud dog with B/B over A/ A
You breed to a female with C/C over B/A
These two dogs depending on what this sequence and dominant or recessive gene traits they represent are totally unrelated and possibility of reproducing desired traits of sire or dam are way out there. Little to zero

I am over simplifying now but the double letters represent a more likely to be set trait and when bred to similar will reproduce more likely to replicate those traits.
To complicate matters a recessive gene can actually be a dominant trait. Such as the ticking in our Blueticks.
Okay Lets say this sequence we are dealing with represents a cherry color Redtick
Now lets say taking the same sire with B/B over A/ A and breed to a female with A/B over A/A. These two would be so closely related in traits in this case color cherry red ticking. you have the possible results in pups can only be
A/B over A/A or A/A over A/A . Odds are this whole litter should be cherry colored red ticks. This trait is so fixed.
Each parent will have contributed a letter to this trait but this is the only possible resulting combinations .

Lets say both parents had A/B over A/A and the top B represented a whiter back ground behind the cherry ticking.

Now we have possible B/B over A/A combination Which means we will now get some lighter colored pups with cherry ticking in this litter.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 11-17-2019 at 08:50 PM

Old Post 11-17-2019 08:41 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

The other problem is these letters ARE NOT GENES. They are MARKERS, not genes so the same marker can be present on a gene that means two different things because of that. Let's say it is the 3rd position on the hair gene. Well that hair gene can be both long and short and still have the 3rd position so that letter will show up on both long haired and short haired dogs because it is just a marker, not a gene. It is a position on a gene.

Old Post 11-17-2019 08:55 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

The simple answer is there is nothing to understand about the DNA OTHER than it proves your dog is or isn't out of what its suppose to be. You can keep track of all the dna samples you want and you will never know what they point to.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 11-17-2019 09:22 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Asolutely untrue

quote:
Originally posted by Dave1
I heard the same thing about double letters.

Since we are unable to determine what these markers stand for you cannot say that a two capital letters(dominant) mean a dog is a better producer. Double letters being dominant for that trait will have more influence. These letters could stand for hair color, tail length, eye color, ear length whatever and may or may not have any influence on the dogs ability. They are simply a way to identify parentage. Sure a dog with double capital letters(AA) may be a good reproducer but just as many with combinations Aa and aa can be good reproducers too.

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 11-18-2019 12:20 AM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

I was only trying to make it easier for him to understand the concept of the letters by "over simplifying " the lettering not the actual meaning.
And like you say a/a or A/A without knowing what they represent means nothing. Or whether they are a dominant reproducer .
Maybe it means they won't tree or prefers deer over coon.

I knew someone was going to say exactly what they did. I was actually hesitant to post because of that reason.
Don't wish to give out information that is incorrectly interpreted .
There is a lot more to it than can be written on this page. I already acknowledge there are numerous combinations per lettering and meaning. That is why I used all caps and same letters in descriptions .

I am in no way a authority on this subject.
Always say I know just enough to get in trouble.LOL.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 11-18-2019 at 02:26 AM

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:15 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pat

Most folks know that you are being helpful, and the ones that don't just don't matter, do they? Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-18-2019 03:04 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

Apreatiat everyone's input I personally don't feel that anyone has gave a bad answer? And it's great to see how many do there best to try and help and answer questions to the best of there ability. Thanks

Old Post 11-18-2019 12:57 PM
Dave1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave1 Click here to Send Dave1 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave1 Add Dave1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtdodge
UKC Forum Member

DNA

I think they can or will soon be able to tell more about a dog by its DNA. Look at all the DNA websites for humans. They can tell everything from what region of the world your bloodline comes from. What medical issues 1 might be more likely have. They can even make a detailed picture of you, by only your DNA sample. So they can do all this with DNA but cant tell us anything about animals DNA... just my thoughts

Old Post 11-18-2019 04:08 PM
dirtdodge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtdodge Click here to Send dirtdodge a Private Message Click Here to Email dirtdodge Find more posts by dirtdodge Add dirtdodge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote