UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Outstanding Track dog
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Outstanding Track dog

Who has the most outstanding track dog that you've hunted with that also has a coon at the end? If you have to ask for details then you probably haven't seen one.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-09-2019 02:11 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There aren't any more. They are a thing of the past. Now we have tree dogs.

Old Post 05-09-2019 02:59 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Well now hummm if your color blind you might never see one I see one pretty often.

Tarbaby

Old Post 05-09-2019 03:07 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, you see a lot of things.

Old Post 05-09-2019 03:44 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Tarbaby, you see a lot of things.

I didn’t say he was mine ! He is 1/2 redbone and 1/2 blutick I breed running dogs that will tree but ole rusty can kick it up anouther notch he is like greased lightning.

Tarbaby

Old Post 05-09-2019 03:58 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

For five years I hunted a male out of Mojo and Valley Creek Tramp. Cold nosed and fast. I've seen him run for 300-500 yards before other dogs with "good noses" could open on the track. He was a track dog til the trackended then he was a world class tree dog. II've seen him leave one tree when I owned him and I'm sure he treed 1000 coon. Best rough country coon dog I've seen that could also destroy a cast in thick coon. I give him to a pleasure hunter last year at 8 1/2.

Old Post 05-09-2019 04:18 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
For five years I hunted a male out of Mojo and Valley Creek Tramp. Cold nosed and fast. I've seen him run for 300-500 yards before other dogs with "good noses" could open on the track. He was a track dog til the trackended then he was a world class tree dog. II've seen him leave one tree when I owned him and I'm sure he treed 1000 coon. Best rough country coon dog I've seen that could also destroy a cast in thick coon. I give him to a pleasure hunter last year at 8 1/2.

I’ve seen a lot of mojo dogs run tracks that nothing else did! Lol. I’m just stirring you up, I’ve seen good track dogs outta that line. Yours sounds like a notch above most.

Old Post 05-09-2019 04:51 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Daul gr nt ch Garners bawling blue hank rip only semen and some offspring.

Old Post 05-09-2019 05:05 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
I’ve seen a lot of mojo dogs run tracks that nothing else did! Lol. I’m just stirring you up, I’ve seen good track dogs outta that line. Yours sounds like a notch above most.

Copy that lol. It took a good portion of that five years to get that foolishness stopped

Old Post 05-09-2019 09:09 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

I do! I didn't raise or train her but I sure am proud to own her. Just bred her to one that was her equal in his day. Hoping for great things.

Last edited by ssgied on 05-09-2019 at 09:44 PM

Old Post 05-09-2019 09:33 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

Skuna river blaze

Old Post 05-10-2019 12:11 AM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

coma and wipe out dogs ,,,wipe dogs come from the coma dogs are track dogs and more accrate but maybe not as quick as those hot nose dogs

Old Post 05-10-2019 12:52 AM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Can someone define an outstanding track dog? I think people equate how the dog barks on track with their ability on the track. I have seen in most cases it is two different things. I think accuracy has to play a role in determining how good of a track dog, one is.

Old Post 05-10-2019 01:43 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

One year old Homemade Stella, 2 UKC Wins, has caught 2 coon on the ground.
Lipper & Hardwood Bean Bred!

Split from her litter mate brother Ch Homemade Trouble that has 1 UKC Win!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 05-10-2019 02:27 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Can someone define an outstanding track dog? I think people equate how the dog barks on track with their ability on the track. I have seen in most cases it is two different things. I think accuracy has to play a role in determining how good of a track dog, one is.

Accuracy and how fast that line moves on the Garmin. I've seen plenty that sounded fast but that line on the Garmin uncovered the truth.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 05-10-2019 03:16 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Bruce

Under what terms do you want a "good" track dog defined? Is it in terms of what wins in competition or is it in terms of a good pleasure dog? Is there a difference between the 2? To some extent, what one sees as worthless could be the others treasure.

One of the absolute most enjoyable hounds I ever had the pleasure to run with a lot was no more than medium speed. Sometimes he'd open on colder tracks than he could handle. You could call him off those if they were really bad. More often than not though he'd finish them and have the meat if you left him alone. Saw many a night where he'd trail for 30 mins plus telling a story as he went.

He was a fully open track dog that used his voice according to the condition of the track, didn't boo who and get anchored but moved ahead. As the track condition improved he opened more freely. He easily became a Nite Ch. My friend who owned him didn't get into the competition much so he never went beyond that.

Back in March of 1986 this fellow went to the BBCHA annual spring meeting in Natchez, MS. On his way down he stopped in VA and entered this dog in a UKC night hunt. Their was a nasty snow storm and temps in the 20's. They only had about 10 dogs entered in the hunt. Drum treed (2) coon that night, both on the outside. He was the only dog that ran and treed a coon out of the 3 casts that were sent out.

Not sure most in today's world would want that type of dog. Medium range hunt, cold nosed, fully open trailing track dog and had the meat the majority of the time. Checked in occasionally if he wasn't struck in. Does anyone Hunt this style anymore?

Old Post 05-10-2019 03:22 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Accuracy and how fast that line moves on the Garmin. I've seen plenty that sounded fast but that line on the Garmin uncovered the truth.

The lines on the Garmin tell you almost everything you need to know.

Old Post 05-10-2019 03:31 AM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

Good track dog has a brain and uses it. Pushes it hard as they can and has the meat. Why would anyone think any less? You can't have a track dog without a coon in the tree at the end. That's the end of the track, anything else is worthless.

Old Post 05-10-2019 03:39 AM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Skuana river buck fork dollar best track dog I ever followed no such thing as a bad or cold track he ran them all the same.. made very few dens ran them the right way.

Old Post 05-10-2019 07:25 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The Garmin has uncovered a lot of things. One is many dogs with trailing a coon around the swamp. Goes over the same track two or three times trying to figure it out. Before Garmin I thought that was a determined track dog grubbing up a track. Garmin showed me it may be a stupid track dog trying to figure out where the coon went.

Old Post 05-10-2019 12:19 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

DL NH

To answer your last question in your post-

Yes

Old Post 05-10-2019 12:33 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gmccall
UKC Forum Member

Bowling hit the nail on the head, that's how a coondog is supposed to act. My thoughts on a lot of dogs I see today are they just run around in woods making noise,then find a hot coon and tree it or just find a tree doesn't matter most of the time . I hunt the yadkin River strain of dogs , the ones I keep strike a track go one way with good speed tree a tree with a coon, not just a knothole . I want say before anyone gets mad these dogs are culled heavy there are sorry ones in the YR strain also . One of the best ones around today is Dual Grand YR Deacon and he's putting all this in his pups and grandpups . Look on stud page to find him.

Old Post 05-10-2019 12:47 PM
Gmccall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gmccall Click here to Send Gmccall a Private Message Click Here to Email Gmccall Find more posts by Gmccall Add Gmccall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: Bruce

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Under what terms do you want a "good" track dog defined? Is it in terms of what wins in competition or is it in terms of a good pleasure dog? Is there a difference between the 2? To some extent, what one sees as worthless could be the others treasure.

One of the absolute most enjoyable hounds I ever had the pleasure to run with a lot was no more than medium speed. Sometimes he'd open on colder tracks than he could handle. You could call him off those if they were really bad. More often than not though he'd finish them and have the meat if you left him alone. Saw many a night where he'd trail for 30 mins plus telling a story as he went.

He was a fully open track dog that used his voice according to the condition of the track, didn't boo who and get anchored but moved ahead. As the track condition improved he opened more freely. He easily became a Nite Ch. My friend who owned him didn't get into the competition much so he never went beyond that.

Back in March of 1986 this fellow went to the BBCHA annual spring meeting in Natchez, MS. On his way down he stopped in VA and entered this dog in a UKC night hunt. Their was a nasty snow storm and temps in the 20's. They only had about 10 dogs entered in the hunt. Drum treed (2) coon that night, both on the outside. He was the only dog that ran and treed a coon out of the 3 casts that were sent out.

Not sure most in today's world would want that type of dog. Medium range hunt, cold nosed, fully open trailing track dog and had the meat the majority of the time. Checked in occasionally if he wasn't struck in. Does anyone Hunt this style anymore?

Most people do not have the patience for a true track dog.

Old Post 05-10-2019 01:11 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Gmccall
Bowling hit the nail on the head, that's how a coondog is supposed to act. My thoughts on a lot of dogs I see today are they just run around in woods making noise,then find a hot coon and tree it or just find a tree doesn't matter most of the time . I hunt the yadkin River strain of dogs , the ones I keep strike a track go one way with good speed tree a tree with a coon, not just a knothole . I want say before anyone gets mad these dogs are culled heavy there are sorry ones in the YR strain also . One of the best ones around today is Dual Grand YR Deacon and he's putting all this in his pups and grandpups . Look on stud page to find him.

Shhhhhhh don’t tell everybody our secret they will all want one !!!

Tar

Old Post 05-10-2019 01:22 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Dog on the left is directly out of Drop Dead Fred who was out of Skuna River Lipper.
Diva has always been a fine track dog for me.

Old Post 05-10-2019 03:23 PM