UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Has anyone else seen this dog?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, it's hard to explain (and believe) if you never saw it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-01-2018 04:25 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Ken Risley

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Ken, are you suggesting that intelligence in a dog is not natural ability? You made the statement that young hunters should not rely strictly on a dogs natural ability! Yet you made the statement that high degree of natural ability along with intelligence is required to make an outstanding dog! I agree that it takes both, but I contend that intelligence is part of the natural ability. We can not make a dumb dog smarter no more than we can teach a dog to wind tree, or trail a cold track, or do anything for that matter! We can only deter behavior that we don't want and provide the opportunities for the dogs to hone their skills. You gave great advice for anyone wanting a dog and that is to hunt with a man's dogs to see if they possess the traits you desire in a dog. If you don't see those abilities or traits, then they aren't there. I am always eager to learn something new, please share with me [and the board] any tips to train intelligence or put something in a dog that's not just natural ability. My guess as to why outstanding dogs are so rare, is the rarity of a great trainer getting a great prospect. Lol. Dave

The smartest dog I own is our 11 years old rat terrier that the grandson named FEE FEE. A dogs intelligence level increases in proportion to the amount of time they spend with human contact and in challenging environment. FEE FEE has zero natural ability to tree game.
I had a Wipeout Moose dog that would wind a coon and tree solid on the nearest tree often being several trees off the correct tree. If you took him off the tree and sent him on he go tree a completely different coon instead of moving over to the correct tree. He had more desire and natural ability than intelligence. I was able to make a nice dog out of him by moving him to the proper tree, tieing him and walking several hundred yards away from him and wait until he finally would realize that there was in the tree he was sitting under and start treeing. I would then reward him.

I believe that I've learned more from the countless dogs that I've culled than I have from the dogs that I kept until they died. Treeing coon is a simple task. Anytime your dog makes it too difficult then you probably need a new dog. Just my opinion. Ken Risley

Old Post 08-01-2018 05:18 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I don't want to teach a dog where a coon is and definitely don't want to teach a dog where a coon isn't.

Old Post 08-01-2018 05:45 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I don't want to teach a dog where a coon is and definitely don't want to teach a dog where a coon isn't.

But we all do no matter how suttule it may be.

Old Post 08-01-2018 06:08 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

Randy Woodard allways has accurate go hunting dogs , he raises them all and just hunts them , he does nothing special to train them , I have finally got me one of his pups as I have been trying to do so for a while but there allways sold when I get ready for one , we will see how it works for me. 1 Litter was out of mouse before I got her there all grand nights now I believe, she will get bred to him as soon as she comes back in .

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Last edited by wjoey on 08-01-2018 at 07:13 PM

Old Post 08-01-2018 07:11 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ken Risle

Intelligence is a natural ability to learn new things, we do not create intelligence anymore than cold nose, winding ability, ETC. We should breed for intelligence and the desired traits we are looking for, then we might get more outstanding dogs. Sounds easy in theory, doesn't it? Maybe we just need some smarter dog owners and dog breeders. Lol. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 08-01-2018 at 09:12 PM

Old Post 08-01-2018 08:34 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Dave, a lot of guys do not like to think a dog has any form of intelligence, or any animal for that matter. It makes them feel better about treating it like a dog. I know they have some form of intelligence and it doesn't bother me a bit.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-01-2018 09:27 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Michael Rosemond

Ignorance, seems like all forms of life has it's share of ignorance and man is no exception. Lol. While it's hard to quantify animal intelligence, it most definitely exists. I have seen some animals that I thought were smarter than some humans, [ easily taught ] I have no doubts that some dogs in the right hands would have been outstanding coondog, yet never achieved that due to their handler mistakes. Some dogs that are super smart make excellent dogs in spite of their handlers. Average smarts and average handler equals average dog. Dave

Old Post 08-01-2018 09:58 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Canine Intelligence

THE HIGHER THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE DOG / THE LESS MISTAKES THE HANDLER CAN MAKE. Highly intelligent dogs do not forgive mistakes by their owners and handlers. Loose your temper and you may ruin a smart dog! If you enjoy training with negative reinforcement then you would probably have more success with a dog of average intelligence or one that you have to constantly remind who the alpha pack leader is.
High intelligent dogs do not require repetitive actions to learn. Highly intelligent dogs learn by what you do to their kennel mates and do not require direct physical contact to learn. The best Border Collies are suppose to have the highest IQ, but stupid exists in all mammals.

Old Post 08-01-2018 10:58 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ken Risley

I could not agree more , this post mirrors my thoughts exactly. A really intelligent dog in the wrong hands will be ruined. It takes a combination of brains on both dog and handler to really excel. Lack of such, explains the scarcity of outstanding dogs. It's a crap shoot getting those special dogs in the right hands. Pretty much as you said about recognizing the talent, a lot of folks just can't see it. Dave

Old Post 08-01-2018 11:42 PM
collegecooner
New UKC Forum Member

Kler kry k agree. I have a 17 month old female right now that you can snap at her and she knows what your saying and once or twice o tweaking something and she doesn’t make the mistake again. But you go after her with a lead or something and she shuts down. But she is probably the most accurate pup I’ve hunted with, that being said she tracked forever before she started wanting to tree. But when she decided to she had like 22 out of 24 trees. She came in heat and took a step or two back when she was layed up but she doesn’t do well with coons being shot out too her. Gets her too excited to tree I suppose. We will see what the future holds but we have high hopes for her

Old Post 08-02-2018 12:12 AM
collegecooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for collegecooner Click here to Send collegecooner a Private Message Find more posts by collegecooner Add collegecooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 08-02-2018 10:31 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Lots of good thoughts and opinions from both sides of the fence here. Appreciate everyones input and looking forward to hearing more.

Old Post 08-02-2018 10:56 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wbond
UKC Forum Member

My hunting Buddy has one like that to here him tell it

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"

Thomas Jefferson

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
Thomas Jefferson

Old Post 08-02-2018 02:42 PM
wbond is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wbond Click here to Send wbond a Private Message Click Here to Email wbond Find more posts by wbond Add wbond to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

This Dog

Bears Repeating , Their just Dogs and no two are alike

Ray Hudson

Old Post 08-02-2018 03:55 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Canine Intelligence

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
THE HIGHER THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE DOG / THE LESS MISTAKES THE HANDLER CAN MAKE. Highly intelligent dogs do not forgive mistakes by their owners and handlers. Loose your temper and you may ruin a smart dog! If you enjoy training with negative reinforcement then you would probably have more success with a dog of average intelligence or one that you have to constantly remind who the alpha pack leader is.
High intelligent dogs do not require repetitive actions to learn. Highly intelligent dogs learn by what you do to their kennel mates and do not require direct physical contact to learn. The best Border Collies are suppose to have the highest IQ, but stupid exists in all mammals.

I learn with every dog I raise. The one I have now taught me exactly what your saying. You have to be real careful in what you do with him. I created a problem with him going to the area that other dogs are treed if he doesn't have anything going on. He started it because when he was young he split with the coon that the other dogs missed. I knock it out and he learned that if another dog was treed there was probably another coon around them. He never goes to their tree he just goes to the area and starts circling them. He trees a coon a lot of the time but if they have it and there isn't another one close its a waist of time. It only took one time to start this.

I was breaking him from possums and just toned him on a tree with a possum. Another dog had came into the tree. From that tree on for 6 months he left every tree a dog came to him on. I thought I had ruined him. I called him back to a tree that he had left when another dog came, knocked the coon out and praised him a little and he was fine after that. You just never know what was going to have a side effect.

I've raised a lot of pups and have always used a pistol. It made this one gun shy. Took a while but I have him now where you can shoot a cannon around him. He made me realize that I'm not near the dog trainer I thought I was.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-02-2018 05:07 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Canine Intelligence

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry

I absolutely agree that a high intelligence dog will learn from what you do to the other dogs. I have a 3 year old dog that was striking several coon out of the truck. Got a pup that was the worst I ever had to bark in the box. I mean I could light him up with the e-collar and a minute later he would be barking again. Well over about 2 months I kept trying but he never stopped. However my 3 year old learned not to bark in the truck at all and now won't bark even if he smells a coon.

Old Post 08-02-2018 05:46 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
natnicegg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Has anyone else seen this dog?

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

I would like to hear from you what makes the accurate dog just that. Accurate. The one that seems to manufacture coon while the other ones are struggling.

Bruce I hunted a dog back in the early 80's for Mr Bill that was like this. He would do things that made you stop and scratch your head. He wasn't perfect, none are, but he was a master of treeing a layup that other dogs could not smell it seemed. I'd see him lots of times drifting a track with his head up and moving with good speed. I'm not smart enough to put into words what I'm trying to say but this dog was special and Mr Bill said he was one of the best he had ever owned, from him that's saying a bunch.

Old Post 08-03-2018 02:13 AM
natnicegg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for natnicegg Click here to Send natnicegg a Private Message Click Here to Email natnicegg Find more posts by natnicegg Add natnicegg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Mayes 1
UKC Forum Member

Bruce
Seen this dog your talking about several times back in the 80’s and 90’s but focus on trying to invent the SUPER DOG has taken its toll on that kind of dog !!!!! Not saying that there ain’t a few still out there. But I would say they are scarce as hens teeth. Just saying

Old Post 08-05-2018 05:31 AM
Chuck Mayes 1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Mayes 1 Click here to Send Chuck Mayes 1 a Private Message Click Here to Email Chuck Mayes 1 Find more posts by Chuck Mayes 1 Add Chuck Mayes 1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

usually the great dogs have something different about them...it could be how they act or how they carry themselves...most of the time it is both...there is a certain air about them...

I like raising my own litter of pups so I can be looking for those traits because those same traits that I was talking about will be in the same dog when he was an 8-10 week old pup...

there is a certain amount of training but I prefer to call it handling...exposing the pup to the game at the right time and pulling the pup off at the right time...the pup just needs to be exposed to these exercises so they will know what game you want...but the majority of it the pup is born to be a great dog...the genes lined up perfectly and we want to be sure we keep that pup and not let it be sold or given away to someone who wont recognize or even appreciate the potential in this pup...

Yes, there is a certain amount of training...but this pup in the wrong hands could be ruined for lack of appreciation or know how...

Last edited by Reuben on 08-05-2018 at 02:50 PM

Old Post 08-05-2018 02:22 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

intelligence...I have had dogs I considered to be great dogs in that I was confident I could hunt them with any dogs and they wouldn't look bad...dogs of this caliber are awesome...

In all my years I have had one dog of a lifetime...the great dogs I had always seemed to do a great job...

the only difference I can say between my once in a lifetime dog is brain power....his brain power was awesome even as a 10 week through 4 month old pup...

with 7 week old pups I condition them to like small chunks of meat...when I say condition I mean I want them to be real hungry so they can love it and want it...through the fence I give them each a couple of pieces each...the third morning I pass by them and let them get a good whiff of the meat...I then scatter the chunks in the yard and stand back and quickly observe...the wind is going to the pups...I am looking for the pup who is wanting out because he smells the chunks...

there could be a pup totally focused standing with that certain attitude with his nose in the wind...I open the gate and a few pups make the mad dash...there will be a few that need coaxing the first time or two...there are those that took to it naturally...that regal pup went from calm to strictly business when turned out...

the pups who find the most chunks will be those that locate the game quickly when they are grown...it is in their genes...it is natural

and the naturals are the ones who get to pass on their genes...

time is too short to keep the wrong pups and then have to try again the next year and repeat the process until we get lucky and get that special pup that becomes that dog that Bruce is talking about...

Old Post 08-05-2018 02:45 PM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wjoey
Randy Woodard allways has accurate go hunting dogs , he raises them all and just hunts them , he does nothing special to train them , I have finally got me one of his pups as I have been trying to do so for a while but there allways sold when I get ready for one , we will see how it works for me. 1 Litter was out of mouse before I got her there all grand nights now I believe, she will get bred to him as soon as she comes back in .

I just bought the majic dog off his line. So far it's been true that we have seen that he won't tree unless he's sure it's there. If this is true I will feed him until he dies. I talked to 4 people that's hunted with him. They said when he locates put lead in the clip. We will see. Lol

Old Post 08-06-2018 01:03 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Pleasure hounds??

I have not owned a coon hound since 1993 but have continued to go somewhat frequently with my best friend. I live in NH and we are obviously not in an area noted for generating big name coon hounds. I've always loved a coon hound with an above average to cold nose that can unravel a bad track while giving an appropriate amount of mouth to match the condition of the track. To me there is nothing more enjoyable than listening to a hound with a good voice work up an older track into a running track, have a distinctive locate and roll into its tree mouth with a rhythmic cadence. I realize I've likely described a simple pleasure hunting dog. My hunting buddy has been through many hounds and a fair amount of money trying to find such a hound. We also like a dog that checks back in as we spot hunt a lot.

It seems as if most of the coon hunters these days want a dog that never checks in, will be by itself when it trees and won't honor another dog on track or tree. Doesn't matter if the dog runs trash as long as it ends up under a coon. Oh and it needs to be able to withstand fang pressure.

Sorry for the ramble, is there any such thing as a good solid pleasure dog anymore that will take its tracks as they come, have its game in the tree when you get there and actually hunts seemingly recognizing the fact that it's hunting with and for you not just itself. Sorry if this is off topic.

Old Post 08-06-2018 02:57 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pleasure hounds??

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
I have not owned a coon hound since 1993 but have continued to go somewhat frequently with my best friend. I live in NH and we are obviously not in an area noted for generating big name coon hounds. I've always loved a coon hound with an above average to cold nose that can unravel a bad track while giving an appropriate amount of mouth to match the condition of the track. To me there is nothing more enjoyable than listening to a hound with a good voice work up an older track into a running track, have a distinctive locate and roll into its tree mouth with a rhythmic cadence. I realize I've likely described a simple pleasure hunting dog. My hunting buddy has been through many hounds and a fair amount of money trying to find such a hound. We also like a dog that checks back in as we spot hunt a lot.

It seems as if most of the coon hunters these days want a dog that never checks in, will be by itself when it trees and won't honor another dog on track or tree. Doesn't matter if the dog runs trash as long as it ends up under a coon. Oh and it needs to be able to withstand fang pressure.

Sorry for the ramble, is there any such thing as a good solid pleasure dog anymore that will take its tracks as they come, have its game in the tree when you get there and actually hunts seemingly recognizing the fact that it's hunting with and for you not just itself. Sorry if this is off topic.

Dan...if I were a coon hunter that is the dog I would have...that dog won’t win a hunt...

Old Post 08-06-2018 03:05 AM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I get it........there was a day when the competition hunts were made up of hounds that were first and foremost a hunting dog. Competition was to see who had the best hunting dog. Overtime it seems to me the competition hunts have become the do what ever you have to to win at any cost hunts. People run to breed/buy based on the titles alone. Seems to me the competition hunts, especially the money hunts, have changed the face of the sport as a whole............and not necessarily for the best.

Mr. McConkey, this dog you're looking for, is it a pleasure dog, competition dog or is it possible for it to be both??

Old Post 08-06-2018 04:04 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote